KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIg changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: RIg changes Reply with quote

Due to some hardware issues and several replacement parts, I ended up getting a NVidia 750 TI SuperClocked. The unit ran fine in the machine that had the 420W PS until I put a load like PG LLR on it, then the system could not handle it. I got a 640 back in there and now all is good.

I have an older box that had a 580W PS that was just replaced under warranty and I moved that card there. The difference between the two boxes is this is a Gen 1 I7, so no AVX2. I can run PG LLR fine with the card, currently. I am just running Einstein though, which is not much of a load. I plan on putting GFN-WR back on that card after I down clock the memory to what the standard is. I think with that change I should be able to run everything fine.

This now freed up my old ATI card. I am moving that to the box that has the GT220 that is no longer used because it just does not have the power to do anything decent. I can then run things like Einstein or PPS Sieve on it, since it would only run part time.

All in all, I am happy with what I currently have.

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I see that CPU and/or memory makes a bigger difference on a GPU that I thought.

On the 3rd Gen I7 I was running Einstein BRP5 in less than 16,500 seconds. Now on the 1st Gen I7 they run just over 17,000 seconds. A little less than 5% difference, but still enough of a difference when doing things like GFN-WR, and if I down clock the memory on the GPU to make it more stable for the GFN-WR, my 12.5 days will turn into 14-15. My 645 does them in 18.5. The 640 does them in 23-24.

Just some neat observances, maybe to let other make decisions on how to adjust rigs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: