KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just replaced ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: I just replaced .... Reply with quote

the fans in my DELL with some new ones (higher airflow) I got from newegg.

Unfortunately, theor plugs would not fit into the designated slots on the Dell mobo. That's ok, because they came with connectors so they could still plug in elsewhere (not on the mobo though).

When I booted up, I got fan failure messages for the 3 fans I removed (since nothing is plugged into the slots, I guess the mobo decided that they weren't working).

Any recommendations on how to make the messages stop coming up everytime I boot the machine?

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of system is it? XPS? Dimension?

Edit: For what it's worth I don't think it's going to matter. You need a fan with 4 pins, with one to report info back to the BIOS.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fan that matters usually is the CPU fan. the other won't usually shut the system down.

you could alwayse put the old dell fans in too, and use them differently.

or, cut the connector from the old fan and splice it into the new fan....as long as the new one has three wires; +12V(red), ground(black), and sensor (white or grey or something). splice black to black, red to red and white? to white? etc.

If you new fans don't have sensors, temporary install the old ones (to keep it running long enough to), go into BIOS and disable shutdown in case of fan failure.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbyram,

The problem is that they aren't standard connectors, and I think they're 4 wires with 5 pins. The only thing I saw was that you might be able to turn off error halts in the BIOS, because there's no way to use non-Dell fans and not get an error.

As for the other fans, they too will probably generate an error (at least on newer systems) because they're all thermally controlled and monitored by BIOS. I want to replace the stock fans too, because frankly they suck, but there doesn't look to be a good solution.

Depending on the type of system it is, the case being used, you might be able to stuff more fans in it to help. The XPS 410 case, for example, has an open vent on the rear that two 80mm fans fit on almost perfectly (You can only use 6 of the 8 screw holes, but it requires no drilling, etc). Reports say that even two sissy fans (17 cfm each) dropped CPU temps by 10c and GPU temps by 15c. It's a mod I'm seriously considering because it doesn't void warranty.

Edit: If you're curious, I plan on using THESE fans. 32cfm @ 14dB, MAN I SilenX.

Edit: And HERE is a picture of what I mean. That guy has gone way beyond what I plan (new PSU, window cuts, etc), but you can see the 2 LED fans at the back. That's what I'm talking about, and it requires no mods, just a molex power splitter.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions....

It's a Dell XPS (about 3 years old now).

The stock fans (all 3) plugged into the mobo with 3 pin connectors. The replacements I bought also had 3 pin connectors also have 3 pin connectors...they just are shaped a bit different from the originals.

I got the same size fans (2 92mm for the cpu and 1 80mm for the front of the case).

I also added in a slot fan to help suck some more air out of the case that also has a rotating/positioned second fan to help move air in the case (it's pointed at my graphics card heat sink).

I can bypass the errors (hit f1 on the error screen and it boots up).

I'm not worried about the warrenty - this machine is long past it.

** Edit.....I haven't seen anything about error messages in the BIOS. Tese were not DELL fans either. They were not named Dell anyway.... Rolling Eyes

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I read was actually the halt on keyboard errors or something like that. Unrelated, but it stopped it from complaining about the fans during bootup according to the user.

The fans are not made by Dell, they're made by another company FOR Dell. They are specific purpose, and the only alternatives are also special made (and usually way over priced from what I've read). I can't even find any for sale, so who knows. Yours is a Gen 2 system I think, which used the 3 pin connectors. The Gen 5's like mine use an even more messed up one.

Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Gaffer tape the new fans (or old Dell ones ) on top of the the HSF (if room in case) and use the existing conectors as required !! Very Happy
Voila - increased air flow and no error messages .
2) Don't buy Dell boxes - build your own . Cool
3) Just connect the old Dell fans to their correct connectors and place them somewhere in the case where they assist cooling . Rolling Eyes

Regds Grizz the bodger .

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to take a few picture to show yo guys the inside of the case. I don't think there is enough room to have the 3 additional fansin there. There is actually ductwork around the 2 fans for the CPU. I will have to look at it. Maybe there is..... Twisted Evil I'll have to try it on Saturday (that's the next chance I will have to mess with it).

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hard drive is dying (confirmed random read failure), and a new one is in the mail. That's 2 hardware failures now for a system only 9 months old! Blah. My system is on light duty until the new drive comes. Amusingly, the most strenuous program (BOINC) runs just dandy and causes no problems, but anything that thrashes the drive makes the system keel over. So I can't even watch TV shows, I had to dump them all across the network to my g/fs machine hehe.

At any rate, since I was in there mucking about anyways, I added two 80mm fans I had sitting in my parts bin (they're pristine, came out of a case before ever even being powered on hehe). They're both thermally controlled, and thus far are nearly silent. I installed them using zip ties, and they went right in like cake. I'll take some pics later.

Though it's cold in here right now (and I don't have previous cold numbers), the CPU core temps are sitting lower than I've ever seen by a large margin. I'll have to check again later today when it's hotter, but it looks like those two fans had a seriously positive impact.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may actually try the suggestion to add the old fans back in where they were before & put the new ones in on top of them (if they fit they should be moving some serious air across the cpu.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the CPU is sitting at 51 & 52C (~124F) despite it being ~27C (80F) ambient which is the highest it's been (and prompting me to go buy a window A/C unit). The last time it was near this hot in here, CPU temps were at 67C (152F)! Very pleased with the results.

For yours, I don't know how much stacking fans is going to help, but it will help at least a little. If all else fails, chop a hole in the top of the case (a "blowhole") and put an exhaust fan in it. That's almost always good for a couple of degrees ambient (inside case) temp drop.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I cut a hole in thetop of my case, I might as well dump a barrel of dust in there.... Cool Embarassed

I will try the stacking solution on Saturday. If that does not work, I might try to hang one of the new ones in there somewhere.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/BlueC2/xps410fans.png

There's the new fans in mine (clear ones in the back). The vent is actually 92mm wide, but only 160mm tall (so it can take two 80mm stacked, but not two 92mm). They definitely help. Taking the side off my case to take a picture resulted in a 2C temp jump on both cores, and as soon as I put the side back on the temps dropped right back down.

As for a top fan, I said exhaust! It would be blowing out, not sucking in. That should keep all the dust out. You could do the same thing in the side for the case as well. Depending on how the CPU cooler is setup, you could make an opening right above the CPU cooler so it draws outside air. On mine, the CPU cooler is actually shrouded off and feeds front to back, so a door vent wouldn't do any good.

Depending on how the case is setup, you could also do a side fan where the hard drive is and put one of the stock fans there, replacing it with a more uber fan. If all else fails, zip-tie the stock fans in the middle of the hot spots. I.e. near the hard drives, pointing towards an exhaust fan, near the graphics card pointing towards an exhaust fan, near/above the CPU cooler, etc. It'd be a total rig job, but it'd work. I used zip-ties to install the fans in my case, worked a charm hehe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: