KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quad core OC results - kentsfield 2.4 @ 3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simm
KWSN Director of Burnination

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: quad core OC results - kentsfield 2.4 @ 3.0 Reply with quote

I've captured my attempts at squeezing the value out of this great 4-core steal from intel into the linked PDF. I've used a program called Performance Test, the profiles were saved with the FSB and RAM speeds. I don't remember the multipliers for all combinations, but 1200=2.7GHz, 1250=2.8GHz, 1333=3.0GHz.

I've had it @ 3.2 for a few minutes but it got to 65C@load and I quickly backed off.

This is all with the stock intel heatsink/fan. At the highest speeds i've locked the core voltage at 1.4V

I used DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 as well as DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15, the latter marked as "OCZ" in the stats below.

Ideally the chip ran cool at 2.8GHz while RAM was at 937. Anything higher and I'd get into low 60c's.

it's really not a bad performer. I got this with an asus p5n-e sli based mobo, not exactly a jaguar of overclocking, more of a fiat.

With some better heatpipe upgrade, I might get it cool enough to run @ 3.2GHz.

While all of this is nice, a 2.66 GHz xeon 51xx is still 30% faster at rendering my fractals than my fastest overclock - which is a real pisser ;P

THE LINK:

http://cd4cd8.com/stats2.pdf

Must..shred..credit cards..

add..hamsters..to..power..generators!

#ni-1
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that memory tends to be the bottleneck. I don't know which processor you're actually talking about (a model would have been nice, for us too lazy to look up a core), and 4 pages of results without more detail and/or a comparison don't tell me much, but uhh... good work?

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
I don't know which processor you're actually talking about (a model would have been nice, for us too lazy to look up a core), and 4 pages of results without more detail and/or a comparison don't tell me much, but uhh... good work?

The processor is the quad core Q6600

Essentially the results show increased performance with a higher FSB setting in the BIOS. I have the same CPU with the same motherboard and have tried to get above 2.7GHz, but everything freezes when I restart with the new settings. The P5N-E motherboards have an option to overclock using "AI Overclock". With AI overclock the BIOS automatically increases CPU and memory speed from 5% - 20%. That seems to work fine.

Smile
Jimmy P
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the current generation on Kentsfield and Conroe core CPUs.

I have made a couple the same or similar observations myself

1) Kentsfield Quad cores thrive on extra memory bandwidth.
2) Kentsfield Quad cores do like extra voltage to overclock them to very high bandwidths my qx6700 will run at 3600Mhz with stability but I have throttled back to 3150MHz because this is is an ideal point when the required voltage does not need to much voltage that generates to much heat.
3) Conroe dual cores can go to very overclocks without the need for much increase in voltage. Infact by increasing the voltage you dont seam to get much further apart from making your electricity supplier rich. At stock voltage my E6600 easily runs at 3600MHz at ten degrees centigrade lower than the Qx6700 at 3150MHz even noting that the quad has an arctic pro cooler and the e6600 has a standard heatsink and fan

Nutsalot #ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: