KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seti Computer Bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Seti Computer Bug Reply with quote

They had an actual bug at SETI.....
Quote:
Matt Lebofsky
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project scientist

ID: 122079
Credit: 57,826
RAC: 2
Message 547966 - Posted 17 Apr 2007 22:18:55 UTC
The BOINC web server (isaac) had its root partition fill up this morning. No big deal but the site was down for a bit as Eric cleaned that up.

During the outage we cleaned up the remaining master/replica database discrepancies and finally put sidious on UPS. Yup - it was running without a net for the past however many weeks. Well, not a direct net - we always had a replica database that was on UPS, as well as recent backup dumps. The "reorg" part took much longer than last week - perhaps due to the result/workunit tables being exercised by the new quorum settings.

While sidious was powered down I replaced the keyboard (it was using a flaky USB keyboard salvaged from a first-generation iMac) and removed the case to inspect its RAM (so we have exact specs in the event of upgrade). I popped open one of the memory banks and found that, at some point, a spider had taken up residence inside. Not really a wise choice on its part. The webs and carcass of the long deceased critter were removed before putting the memory back.

Once again, db_dump is running at the time of writing, seemingly successfully. There were some mysql configuration settings we were experimenting with last week. Though not obvious why, one of these may have been forcing the long db_dump queries to time out. Anyway, we shall see... it just wrapped up the user table sans hitch.

- Matt

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=38874

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, figurative and literal. Haven't been able to upload a SETI result all day and both rigs are within 5 hours of being out of work for the project. And before you say it, it's not Tuesday any more, so the stupid maint thing should be done already.

Guess I should bump SETI up to a 2 day work queue.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Yeah, figurative and literal. Haven't been able to upload a SETI result all day and both rigs are within 5 hours of being out of work for the project. And before you say it, it's not Tuesday any more, so the stupid maint thing should be done already.

Guess I should bump SETI up to a 2 day work queue.

I'm having trouble too. I have WUs on all 3 PCs waiting to go. At first I chaulked it up to the Tuesday main, but then Seti seemed to come back up and I saw a connection get made, then everything stopped working. **sigh**.

I guess their servers aren't happy today.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poor BOINC Manager is freaking out. SETI servers are down, so it's got tons of queued uploads, and NHAH is out of work (the project, not me yet) so it's begging their servers for more work every time the back-off timer runs out hehe.

On an unrelated topic, should I pick up Proteins @ Home (not running on any rigs right now) or Malaria Control (running very part time on one machine) when I run out of NHAH work?

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: