KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folding@Home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Folding@Home Reply with quote

Hey Tishoo!

Commenting on your post here, since I think the "why you should..." thread is better left for reasons why you should Fold for KWSN Wink

Considering that so many of our biggest producers have left the team, we're not doing all that bad!
With the arrival of the Possums and a few old timers returning, we're maintaining a production average that is in the top 100 teams.

I must confess that we will most likely never return to our former glory in this project, mainly because even if we double our current output we would never gain a single position in the stats. Rolling Eyes
Most knights are addicted to the kick of gaining positions fast, and that means moving to new projects all the time.

Personally I'm moving around a bit too, but Folding is still my main project and I will probably stick around there for quite some time yet.
It would be nice to make a million some day. #ni-1

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a stats whore, but not necessarily so worried about instant gratification. But I do want to keep all of my efforts on BOINC if I can, because that gives me a nice concentrated statistics pool to drool over every day. It also gives me a direct measure of how I'm doing, both against myself, and my team, country, and the world. I do think, however, that BOINC is poised on the verge of a major resurgence over the next few years because of dual (and more) core computers.

They've already come way down in price (entry level machines are $400), and will soon become the defacto standard from the major shops. As these systems become more common I think all the DC projects are going to see a major upswing in production. As I mentioned in another thread, 100 E6400 Core2 Duos like my own would increase our teams daily credits by almost 25%. That's an amazingly small number of PCs compared to our current 1,900+ members (and however many PCs they each have).

One of my Core2's is doing ~900 (total) a day on 2 projects both on the low credit side (WCG is one of them, and it's killing my RAC, but the team needs it and it's a good cause so the PC stays on it). Another is averaging 1,200 (total) a day on 2 different projects. All 3 of my Core2s, added in November 2006, are now in the top 95% in host rankings world wide. These are stock clock, often used for other things, Dell desktops. The system I plan to build around the end of the year, a healthily overclocked QX6700 quad core, should be spitting out 3,000 credits/day or more.

Anywho, the point being that, if we can start recruiting some new members, it's likely a lot of them will bring their new dual cores along with them. This "new generation" of users will seriously shift the balance of processing power around, and should be a lot of fun. As for folding, as I said in that other thread, I just don't know anything about it. I started on SETI, and that lead to BOINC, which lead to other projects on BOINC. If it's a BOINC project I'll give it consideration, I just want stable projects. The only changing I've done is all related to project stability! I'm also trying to keep it around 1 core per project, so when I add the machine at the end of the year I'll probably pick up Proteins full time, Nano Hive full time, and then have to find 2 more projects hehe.

Edited 14 times for typos.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]

Last edited by JerWA on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't know anything about folding (dist. computing or laundry Cool ). I started on SETI classic, then when that closed down I loaded BOINC & SETI and was happy. Then eventually I came across Rosetta and was good with the 2. Eventually my wandering around brought me to the KWSN and I got looney. After a while I found Einstein and here I stand (with the Belgianbeer, Pirates , orbit and WCG getting minor time in there too).

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh - I brought on a whole THREAD all by my lonesome!

Thanks for the 'splanashuns - pretty much what I figured. I was a stats whore once (and I fear I may be turning into one again) - but then I lost interest as work got busier.

The PS3 was a spur-of-the-moment BluRay player to go with the 1080P LCD, and I figured I'd game on it, and install YelloDogLinux someday too. F@H and the incredible performance was an incredible surprise!

And you're right - bringing in newbies with their monster dual-cores would be excellent! I've restarted my home dual-core unit (one core folds 24x7) and my new work workstation is an overnight-only dual-dual-core-Xeon folding mosnter! Pity it has a kick-ass nVidia card, not a new ATI GPU Wink These two part-time units are matching my PS3's 23x7 (yeah, I game or watch a movie at least 6-7 hours a week!) 1000unit/day preformance!

And I'm enjoying the localized stats jump, although the next KWSN target is now weeks away (rarefied atmosphere in the 200 thousands) - not as much fun as overtaking 1-2 folks on a daiyl basis Wink

I imagine I'll continue Folding for a while (and the PS3 nearly full time until some other client appears) - but my other PCs may wander off to other projects (for KWSN!) every now and then - now that I'm back into the feel-good part of DC Smile

For those who hadn't yet figured it out, I'm the Triple-breasted whore from Planet Eroticon! Smile

<edit> I'd like to think my reappearance and resurgent enthusiasm has helped ... overlay this graph with my own stats in the above link Wink
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
... 100 E6400 Core2 Duos like my own would increase our teams daily credits by almost 25%...

Just for comparison, adding 10 PS3 owners to KWSN would increase our daily production (currently 19-20K per day) 50%

Link to the relative CPU stats for F@H!!! Boggles the mind, eh Smile
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tishoo wrote:
JerWA wrote:
... 100 E6400 Core2 Duos like my own would increase our teams daily credits by almost 25%...

Just for comparison, adding 10 PS3 owners to KWSN would increase our daily production (currently 19-20K per day) 50%

Link to the relative CPU stats for F@H!!! Boggles the mind, eh Smile

Yeah but I meant 25% in BOINC combined across all projects hehe. I.e. around 120,000 credits/day. Considering our 1900+ members are doing ~400k (our RAC is on it's way back up after a slump) a day, a 120k increase from just 100 more computers is crazy.

That's why I say we need to start recruiting. I nominate you for borrowing, err I mean stealing, err no I mean borging, no wait... asking your neighbors with PS3s to join.
#ni-1

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll recruit a PS3 or two - but PS3s ONLY Fold Wink

What's a RAC? other than the obvious (RAC of LAMB), of course!
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAC = Recent Average Credit. It's a weighted average of daily credit, gives a good measure of how much output you're doing over time. Mine is 3206 at the moment, which doesn't mean I did 3206 today, it just means that averaged out over time that's my average credits/day.

Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I'm curious as to what will happen! When I went to Rosetta the highest was producing aroun 2.8k after shrubbing the top three all went above 5k.

I'm moving my farm back to folding and with the new SMP client I think my prodution will be over 4k. Very Happy

Maybe I can scare cadcamm into a few more shrubs. Twisted Evil
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antigens wrote:

I'm moving my farm back to folding and with the new SMP client I think my prodution will be over 4k. Very Happy

Rock on, Sir Antigens - I see you've already beaten your recent 150-200 per day Folding average and are at 2000 for the day Smile
<edit> Whoops, apparently not - I looked at the daily, then the weekly chart ... get moving, Sir Antigens, no points yet today! Very Happy

I should get me a nice, upgraded SMP system! I've been thinking about a ncier HTPC than my dedicated (and non-folding) Athlon XP 2100+ - this baby chokes on video editing etc!

Antigens wrote:

Maybe I can scare cadcamm into a few more shrubs. Twisted Evil

Excellent - a couple of returning bigwig producers may be all we need to stave off almost all the threatening teams Smile (Engadget will likely still fly right past us)

Imagine - with only 77 (now 78!) active members - one of the smallest numbers in the entire top 100!
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK had some growing pains. VISTA wouldn't let me run the SMP version. I finally figured it out, my first shrubs should be coming tomorrow. Very Happy
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folding is for men. BOINCing is for dweebs.

DRat! *looks for tape to fix his glasses*

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
Sir Cracked of the Mind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admit, getting a knight to focus on the wall opposite to read a sign, is an impossible feat, getting them to focus on one project for months on end is like finding the Holy Grail...

They have been tempted, and has become 'stat' hoes, selling their shrubs for cheap fixes of 'stats' We should not condemn these poor souls, rather we should go round their houses and beat the crap out of their computers for sining against the One true project....
#Beer
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antigens wrote:
OK had some growing pains. VISTA wouldn't let me run the SMP version. I finally figured it out, my first shrubs should be coming tomorrow. Very Happy

And How! I happily relinquish my short-lived spot in the top-3 team producers to you, Sir Smile

Three Ni!s for Sir Antigens for re-awakening from the spell cast upon him by the evil-doers of Castle BOINC and returning to Folding ... impressive numbers for the week!

We've avoided one team's threats and it may be time to revive the tradition of finding their forum and ... you know the taunting drill! Although the 4-5 others that are still gaining on us are really moving! Rally the troops!
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed some very impressing figures Sir Anti! Shocked

And the Destroyer of Cheese is sooooo close to hitting the magical 1200 points per day average. Mr. Green

I think the team production is looking pretty good. Now if we could only lure Sir Furry back to the Fold... Confused

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Those core 2's really shrub. Cool Cool It's to bad that the Mighty Y2K couldn't have made it to the 10mil before his ending. Sad
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FAH Knights storm the castle Boinc, where they see Sir Brian Drooling over his SETI stats and dreaming of all those boinkings he's going to get from zoot!... the FAH knights hit him over the head when he not paying much attention and knock him out cold and take him away to castle Stanford....

where he quickly sucumbs to fah Zoots charms

#ni-1

tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

#ni-1

Wowzers! Dual SMP system? Smile

I need to see what my work Dual CPU Dual Core Xeon is capable of, one of these days ... but that would be ... wrong, no? Maybe only on weekends! Smile
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOO I want one of those shrubbers! Sweet machine. Cool
Lord_Mortsnorkle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, if anyone can help me figure out how to switch teams with FAH, I'll be happy to give the team a bunch of points. If anyone can figure out how to merge points accumulated under a couple of usernames for FAH (I've got about four of them, I think), that would also be extremely cool.

"Maybe he took a little trip."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: