KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folding at Home on your PS3...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Lemming
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Folding at Home on your PS3... Reply with quote

Interesting...

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06554_PS3_Supercomputing_Cluster_4_Times_Faster_than_IBMs_BlueGeneL.html

Ni!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just coming to post the info, read it over on the register today.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: y PS3 is Chugging away Reply with quote

1st Shrubbery now being chomped. Plenty fast! (estimates 7ish hours - I'm out of date - how quick would a 3GHz Intel P4 be for comparison?)

Anything that rbings me back to the fold (KWSN and F@H) is a good thing, eh? Smile
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed of workunit depends on its point value.
I think a 3GHz P4 will do ~120 points per day (don't have one myself, but my 1.6GHz P4 laptop does ~60 points per day).

The Folding team is indeed in dire need of help Embarassed

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more shrubberies and hundreds of points in around 22 hours. Amazing!

The stats on the PS3 are stunning - they ALREADY beat out ALL other CPUs devoted to Folding in computational power, and are second only to the highly optimized ATI X1900XT GPU Beta code!

Oh, and (16000+) PS3s single-handedly, within a day, made Folding the most 'powerfully backed' (public) Distributed Computing project on the Planet! Whoa!

I wonder how many of them keep running their units, though - it DOES run warm normally, and I don't like leaving it on all day. Lets see ... this is getting addictive (like it once was)

<edit>
Folding news here!
Ps3 Triples Folding Project (Gizmodo)
People clamoring for Folding to be brought to the XBox 360(Gizmodo) (heck, use the CPU AND the GPU!)

Ni!
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get a second PS3 to fold with then? Wink
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 Cdn for a system up here.
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: No second PS3 for me! Reply with quote

Sooo ... 'twould seem I'm the ONLY PS3 Knight?

I run the system around 12-16 hours a day (minus a few minutes to an hour of usage for BluRay discs, or rarely, games) and I'm averaging an easy 600+ points per day so far Smile And because the PS3 sparked my interest in F@H again, I've fired up both cores of my home Core2 (well, at less than full power to keep things cool) and my OLD firewall system. So I'm back in 1K/day land!

Nice to be back in the top 20 daily Ni! shrubbery producers and help delay any 'Conquests' per the EOC update site!

Soooo ... does anyone regularly read the forums here any more? Lets find out ... one full day of PS3 cranking (I'll change the username to yours for a day, long as it is still for team 117!) for free to whoever recognizes my Folding ID (I've provided more than enough hints Wink )

And do you fokls use any stats sites other than EOC (linked above)? I was thrilled to find it was still around after not Folding for months!
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of us read the forums daily. I dont fold so I wont bother hunting down your user name. Grats on your renewed interest though Smile
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gahh - spoilsport :p Hopefully someone else will!

When did Folding become unfashionable anyway? Or is it (I guess) more a case of BOINC benig so configurable and allowing folks to support & help out with so many different important (and some unimportant) DC projects? More altruistic? Smile
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for anyone else here, but in my case its because I'm dominantly a Seti person. Was running the classic client and recently got back in with the Boinc client. Since Boinc makes it easy to run multiple projects I expanded from there to a couple of other projects. Whenever I do spring for a PS3 I'll fold with it if thats the only DC project it has going. If its capable of more than one by then it will depend on the options.
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the BOINC mailing lists, Dr. Anderson mentioned that they're working with Sony to get BOINC and 2-3 projects on the PS3 as well. That may be the thing that finally pushes me to get a PS3 - I'd already been thinking about it just for the Blu-Ray player. If I can get that with some crunching, I'm in.
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS3 makes for an INCREDIBLE BluRay player - the best available for now and the most feature-rich too! Game Play is just an added bonus! I only own 3 games so far (including Formula 1 and Motorstorm) but already have a BR disc collection that just hit double digits with my preoredr of Planet Earth on Amazon.com/buy.com Smile

Yeah, the newest Sony standalone BR player will offer the 1080p24 playback/output format for the fancy new 72Hz and even nicer 120Hz LCD TVs to match film cadence/frame rates, and also offers DVD upconversion, but I'm quite sure at least the latter feature will be offered on the PS3 soon enough (they've semi-officially announced it!)

In the interest of full disclosure, the PS3 makes for one awkward integration problem as a home theater component - it doesn't support IR remotes (BlueTooth only)! This means all our fancy MX and Logitech harmony et al remotes are useless for BR viewing - but the PS3 game controller is great. And a BlueTooth Remote is also available. Some folks HAVE hacked a PS2 IR remote to work via the front USB (and then taught the codes to their IR universal remotes) - but this is an ugly kluge!

Playback quality (video) is amazing on my 1080P60 LCD TV. And I am tempted to upgrade to an HDMI HomeTheater receiver to fully enjoy the uncompressed audio track more and more BR discs now include (Optical audio is technically limited to substantially lower bitrates than those required for uncompressed multichannel audio tracks!)

Lots more info about the PS3 as a BR player available at this discussion on the Audio-Video Science Forums
tishoo
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo ....

It appears I'm still the only active Knight with a PS3? Smile

I got a heads-up thruogh the newswires today about the new update for the PS3 F@H client - 30-70% speedup! That'll help my 1K PPD Smile

Watch out, Sir Antigens, I'm gonna push harder for first place PPD Wink

And Sir CadCam - it's over :p

Jokes aside - the PS3 continues to amaze me! I watched Click and a bit of Departed over the weekend in BluRay. Mmm-mmm-mmmmm! And I have Planet Earth on pre(back!)order at Amazon!
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got an x-box, gamecube and very old playstation so I think we'd have to win the lotto to get a PS3 and some games for it. The Folding is a bonus, and if I ever did get another game machine that would be the deciding factor.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm fast folder. My daughter doesn't have a game system yet could be a rouse to getting one. Twisted Evil
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a though for you enterprising Kanights: Look online or in the phone book to see if you have any local game/internet cafes. Contact them to see if they would be interested in donating their resources during idle times or after business hours in the form of BOINC. I bet there's at least one in every major city, and they've probably got a bunch of consoles like the PS3 and XBOX360 as well as computers.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the trick is to trick them into letting you get the credit for it.... Twisted Evil

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care as long as KWSN gets credit. I mean, yeah, I'd love to borg 20 machines all at once like that, but I don't have to be greedy all the time.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antigens wrote:
Hmmm fast folder. My daughter doesn't have a game system yet could be a rouse to getting one. Twisted Evil
When is she ever going to find time to play on a PS3? Confused Oh! Embarassed D'Oh! Rolling Eyes

#ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: