KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More obvious link to Optimized Seti App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: More obvious link to Optimized Seti App Reply with quote

Here is the link:
http://lunatics.at/index.php?module=Downloads

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your results may vary, this client REALLY makes a difference on some systems. The Core2, such as the one I'm running, are one example of the extreme difference the client can make. The optimized client cuts time per work unit by something outrageous like 40% on my Core2.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got around to installing 2.2B SSE2 Generic (I was running 2.0). We'll see how it does.

Oh, how I wish I had the time to try and hack the app with AMD-specific libraries. I was reading on a site of a company that sells Fortran compilers that it can really make a difference.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:
I just got around to installing 2.2B SSE2 Generic (I was running 2.0). We'll see how it does.

Oh, how I wish I had the time to try and hack the app with AMD-specific libraries. I was reading on a site of a company that sells Fortran compilers that it can really make a difference.

I'm trying that one on my P4 2.4 W/1G RAM. Hoping it will give a boost to an abyssmul performance thusfar.

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageIII wrote:

I'm trying that one on my P4 2.4 W/1G RAM. Hoping it will give a boost to an abysmal performance thusfar.

Try a Celeron 400 with 128 MB of RAM, and a 6 gig hard drive, then tell me about "abysmal" Laughing

In all fairness, it's the only shrubber I've ever used for PrimeGrid (23 RAC - woo-hoo!), and it's been enough to get me to 35th percentile in only a matter of weeks.
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to the newest version for my main compy "Chernobyl" and my fiancée's compy I just installed BOINC on last night. We'll see if I notice an improvement from the old optimized client I was running on Chernobyl, I'm excited Smile
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSWN - Sir Aaron Brown wrote:
I just upgraded to the newest version for my main compy "Chernobyl" and my fiancée's compy I just installed BOINC on last night. We'll see if I notice an improvement from the old optimized client I was running on Chernobyl, I'm excited Smile

There's an optimized client that will perk even that AMD up, at least a bit. #ni-2
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:

There's an optimized client that will perk even that AMD up, at least a bit. #ni-2

Is this from the same website or a different one? I didn't see an AMD one on lunatics... But I'm definitely interested Smile

AB
Chelski
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, do you guys hv a version of optimised version for c2d that can run on win2k without needing an installer? eg console like? would like to put all these into production
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:

Is this from the same website or a different one? I didn't see an AMD one on lunatics... But I'm definitely interested Smile

AB

I run AMD, too. You just have to find (or figure out) what-all graphics instruction sets (e.g. MMX or SSE) your CPU supports, and use the best generic client available. If I recall correctly, on my 3700+ San Diego, that meant SSE (only).

BTW, the more L1 and L2 cache your CPU has, the merrier, because the optimized apps take advantage of that.

Still, these optimized apps rock, especially (unfortunately) on Intel. [edit] I misremembered the processing times. My PIII Xeon 500 with lunatics.at optimized app beat a PIII 800+ mhz (which is still saying something, giving away over 50% of my clock speed). It held its own versus the P4 3.0 gHz, being only about 40% slower, despite the considerable disparity in clock speed (if I did the math correctly)[/edit]

So just try the best, generic app you can find for your CPU. If you have any questions about that, there's an app (cpu-z?) that can read all the SSE and what not, and you can take it from there.

Last edited by Lloyd M. on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelski wrote:
hi guys, do you guys hv a version of optimised version for c2d that can run on win2k without needing an installer? eg console like? would like to put all these into production

You know, God bless those guys for putting in the effort to make it easier on us, and I've never had any luck whatsoever with that installer.

The trick is to manually find the best app for your C2D, and just follow the readme to manually install. Actually "install" implies quite a lot more work than the actual process takes. You download the package, exit the BOINC manager client for a minute, and copy a few files to a directory specified in the readme.

Then you restart the BOINC manager client. If you get a message about "using anonymous platform", you're good to go.

I don't know which app to use on C2D, because I don't have any Intel hardware that's from even the same decade. On the lunatics.at site, there's directions on a program you can use (cpu-z?), to figure out which math packages your CPU supports, though I would guess "all".

If I recall, SSE3 doesn't do much for SETI, though SSE2 does help.

The other thing would be to post a message almost anywhere, and someone will probably tell you which app to run. For instance, I think Jerwa has a whole bunch of C2Ds in his farm (local and Borged)
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd odd because the installer worked flawless for me. And I have a screen shot of my P4 1.3 GHz out-crunching an AMD 64 3500+ with the optimized app, so you could say it makes a bit of a difference hehe. In fact here is that image:

I ran it on my XP 3000+ without issues, the auto installer I mean.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
That'd odd because the installer worked flawless for me.

I've run it two or three times, and it's just crashed. Probably operator error Laughing

JerWA wrote:

And I have a screen shot of my P4 1.3 GHz out-crunching an AMD 64 3500+ with the optimized app, so you could say it makes a bit of a difference hehe.

You can say that again. I found a WU where my one of the four PIII Xeon 500 processors in "ServerBeast" actually beat a 800+ mHz PIII by about 20% (love that big cache), and was only about 40% slower than a P4 3.0 gHz! [edit](assuming I did the math right)[/edit] I've seen some other cases where the same sort of P4 fared relatively poorly, given the extreme disparity in clock speeds.

Of course, I get totally annihilated by any C2Ds that process the same WU's. The saving grace of that machine is while the processors are slow, there are four of them, so it can shrub four WU's simultaneously (this was pretty cool to watch for the first time). Though I haven't seen "official" numbers yet, I think ServerBeast might actually approach the RAC that my AMD rig (FrankenClone Mark IX) did at stock clock speeds.

In your case, that's nothing short of amazing. I'm pretty sure that all A64 3500+ chips have a 2.2 gHz native clock speed. Unless he's throttling for some reason, you beat him like a bongo drum.

JerWA wrote:

I ran it on my XP 3000+ without issues, the auto installer I mean.

Anyway, the request was for how to do it if the installer doesn't seem to work for you, and I clearly have some experience in that area Laughing
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:

The trick is to manually find the best app for your C2D, and just follow the readme to manually install. Actually "install" implies quite a lot more work than the actual process takes. You download the package, exit the BOINC manager client for a minute, and copy a few files to a directory specified in the readme.

Then you restart the BOINC manager client. If you get a message about "using anonymous platform", you're good to go.

Thanks! Very Happy
Finally did manage to find some time to fiddle and run the manual package listed at top of this thread. Works fine. ~ 25% reduction in cycle time on a Core 2 Duo Surprised
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelski wrote:
Lloyd M. wrote:

Thanks! Very Happy
Finally did manage to find some time to fiddle and run the manual package listed at top of this thread. Works fine. ~ 25% reduction in cycle time on a Core 2 Duo Surprised

Far out! C2Ds are plenty fast to start with, so it must really fly now. All the better that you're a fellow Knight! #ni-2
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:

Far out! C2Ds are plenty fast to start with, so it must really fly now. All the better that you're a fellow Knight! #ni-2

#ni-1
yep, really flying... too bad didn't let the RAC stabilised before installing the optimised app

even my old Athlon XP (SSE only) went from 9-10 hrs for a typical unit to 5-6 hours with optimised app
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelski wrote:

#ni-1
yep, really flying... too bad didn't let the RAC stabilised before installing the optimised app

even my old Athlon XP (SSE only) went from 9-10 hrs for a typical unit to 5-6 hours with optimised app

Nothing ever wrong with being in a hurry to shrub faster #ni-1

I don't think I'll ever give up my pretty pictures (the graphics) on my main rig, though that costs me productivity. My son's Sempron 2600+, running as a service (of course, no graphics) on Windoze 2K was about as fast as my A64 3700+ San Diego on Windoze XP (with graphics) for some BOINC apps. Of course, my son's machine has a Venice core A64 3200+, which cost a whole $36 with shipping!

What's really fun for me is my IBM Netfinity file server. It has slow processors, but since there are 4 of them (and they're Intel chips with relatively big cache memory), it actually has respectable RAC

I just ordered an Opteron 170 for my main rig. The optimized SETI app is supposed to like cache RAM, and it has 1MB for each of its two cores. The baseline clock speed is slower than the San Diego, and I should be able to OC it to about the same speed I can OC the San Diego. I can hardly wait. I also got a cheapie mobo to switch the San Diego into, and I already have a mobo for the Sempron. I'm short on RAM, because I wasn't planning to have the new 939 mobo yet. We'll see how little I can get away with, using Linux.
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use a small application fix for intel only apps - you can run it on ANY cpu ..... #ni-1

this patch is on lunatics too ....
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devaster wrote:
if you use a small application fix for intel only apps - you can run it on ANY cpu ..... #ni-1

this patch is on lunatics too ....

I've caught that by inference, but not actually found it. Could you be more specific? My CPUs have SSE3, and I'm not using it, because there are no AMD compiles available.

Of course, AMD-specific compiles (using AMD-optimized libraries) would be the best, and I have no earthly idea as to when I could even hope to approach that project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: