KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A long range taunt..........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: A long range taunt.......... Reply with quote

acording to boincstats.....

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_stats.php?pr=bo&st=0&teamid=3b2583ff14f757586e20b27b1ff402ab#11

Code:
15   Pooh Bear 27                                  1,443,475
16   JavaPersona                                   1,378,822
17   Toby                                          1,300,682
18   Henning Jensen                                1,283,451
19   KWSN - Sir Brian - err sorry - wrong film!    1,123,502

I'm after you all & closing faster thatn you may think.... and the megashrubber has yet to go online

Ni!..... #ni-1

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2nd Core 2 Duo goes online tonight.

After that, each time I save up a few hundred, I am replacing a couple other machines with Core 2 Duos.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like everyone will be passing me soon. Crying or Very sad

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure all of those folks are passed you already, or did you miss the extra digit in their scores?

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not miss it, I meant everyone else.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
My 2nd Core 2 Duo goes online tonight.

After that, each time I save up a few hundred, I am replacing a couple other machines with Core 2 Duos.

You can build a Core 2 duo machine for "...a few hundred..."?

I must have been looking at the wrong CPU, or in the wrong place, because they were asking something on the order of $250-$350 for just the CPU.

I am not trying to argue or pick a fight here - seriously, how do you do it?
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming he is just replacing CPUs in boards that are running P4's and can support core 2's. In that case you could play for under a coupe hundred bucks. Beyond that if you went for a lower end motherboard and processor but could recycle every other part you could probably play in the 250-300 range.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 1.6 / 1.7 Core 2 Duo desktops are starting to go on outlet for about $450US. I always find coupons / discounts that can get it down probably around $100 or so. So, yes a "few hundred", if you look correctly.

The laptop is up and running, the old laptop has been shut down. I am impressed with the 2.0G laptop, almost as fast as the 2.13G desktop. I am curious if the higher L2 cache will make a difference in any of the projects.

Runs pretty sweet. Returned my first Lunatic Optimized SETI unit, 61.?? in approximately 5500 seconds. Smokin'!

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Core2 processor prices are coming down quickly, and should keep right on falling all year long because the next iteration of them should be coming (if it isn't here already, haven't been paying attention). And, if all else fails, you can buy refurb'd Dell XPS 410 systems with Core2s for ~$500. An exact replica of my system was $810 at Dell outlet (refurb) last time I looked. Mine cost me almost twice that in September of last year, and was only that cheap because my roommate works somewhere that gets a discount at Dell.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early or mid april for the next round of price drops I think (April 14th?) Was far enough out that I didnt feel like waiting for my current system. If I was ordering something more in the $1000 range it might have been worth waiting but I doubt my $185 CPU will drop enough dollars to justify putting off the build a month and a half.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'm happy with my E6400 but I plan on building another system at the end of the year with more grunt. Not sure what I'll do for processor yet. I was thinking two 4-core Xeons, but I'm not sure yet if I want to go that big on dollars. I could go with an E6700, but I'd only save $150 and lose 4 cores hehe. For gaming the E6700 would probably be faster than the Xeons I was looking at, but for crunching it would get it's butt handed to it (even slower, there's no way to beat 6 extra cores hehe).

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micro Center has 6700 CPUs for $399. http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/244/0315.viewonline.html

I honestly don't know if that's a particularly good deal or not. I guess it's no secret that I'm an AMD guy.

Which is not to say I wouldn't seriously consider a Core 2 rig if I could find the kind of deal I want. Like I always say - if you want to be cheap, you have to be patient.

What I've seen with at least some of the Xeons is they have a lot of L2 cache. Someone had a hyperlink to a description of the CPU he was going to build a rig with, and it had 8MB L2 Cache! I also saw where someone (might have been the same guy) said that his expensive CPU was only exceeded by the even more expensive RAM he had to use with it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not being disdainful, or even envious. By all means, if someone can afford to spend that kind of money on a rig, more power to them, and hats off building something that will be put to constructive use - no doubt some rather serious shrubbing.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing deal honestly. Pricewatch and my two favorite parts sites all have that processor in the low 500's. As I have neither 400 nor 500 to splash out on a new part at the moment its immaterial, but good info for someone still in the market.

The next major purchase will probably be a new stereo to see if the main shrubber works better to music Wink
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't afford those processors right now either. However, all of the multi-core processors are taking a half step up very soon and prices are supposed to drop quite a bit (intentionally, to keep them competitive) on the existing ones.

The 4-core Xeons I was (am?) looking at aren't that expensive, $359 ea at the moment at Newegg. They also aren't that fast compared to something like the E6700. Where they shine isn't in per-processor or per-core performance, but the fact that a dual-processor rig with them has 8 real cores to crunch with. Even if the per-processor performance is low, the over-all output would be tremendous! Not to mention it would quite happy serving files to my network (streaming media mostly), as well as acting as a web server.

The price I came up with (it's in the forums here somewhere) was just under $1,000 for processors, motherboard, and case (maybe and PSU). Not cheap, granted, but 8 cores of 64-bit crunchiness!

On the flip side, an E6700 Core2 is $522 on NewEgg (I also wouldn't trust anywhere selling it at half the going retail rate lol). Only 2 cores, but both cores would be much faster than any individual core on the Xeon 5310s above. Sooo, gaming performance would be great, and it'd definitely out-crunch all the other rigs on my network, especially with some overclocking. Building a system based on this would basically cost the same as the one above, as either system would use very good RAM, and other components (to enhance overclocking stability).

All a pipe dream right now, just something I hope I'll be able to do around the end of the year. I'll probably go the E6700 route (or whatever it's upgrade is) because my personal PC will be over a year old by then. Of course, something like the QX6700 Core2 Extreme may be affordable (or more affordable) by then, too. I know this just muddies the water, but it's a 4-core Core2! Mmmm. Who knows, maybe I'll do both!

As for a stereo, that's what I have PC speakers and Sennheiser for.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Sennheiser

I have them for work. So I can listen to what I want to listen to without anyone complaining about it. I used to have a wired set of headphones, but after leaning back whilst thinking about some code a few times and nearly hanging myself (you had to see it Laughing ) I got some wireless ones.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
I have them for work. So I can listen to what I want to listen to without anyone complaining about it. I used to have a wired set of headphones, but after leaning back whilst thinking about some code a few times and nearly hanging myself (you had to see it Laughing ) I got some wireless ones.

My headphones are wired, but like most good headphones, the wire is just a plug at both ends. It's saved my headphones numerous times when I did dumb things involving pulling on them. The little cord popping out is so much cheaper than buying new headphones every time hehe.

Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at a Sony or Denon that will do a video up convert to HDMI. Mostly to make the total system more spouse friendly. Its not that she doesn't know how to change the video mode as it annoys her endlessly. Plus the current stereo is getting a hair long in the tooth.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all the discussions around the different CPUs in this thread here's a spreadsheet I used for working out the relative performance of the core 2 / Xeon 51xx 53xx family of processors... as they are based on the same architecture, you can directly scale performace up or down depending on Ghz/No of cores

the higher the performance per watt ratio the better....

one thing to remember is the added cost of extra mobos. memory graphics cards cases O/S licenses and Hard drives etc increases the purchase cost plus the added power requirements of multiple machines negatively affects the performance per watt (running costs) value significantly...

that said two core2 E6300 based machines are chaper to run than a dual 5120... but a dual E5320 is cheaper than 4 E6300's......

and don't go for the X5355 xeon...... to expensive and coslty to run....

moral... only go for quad core xeons, duals don't make financial sense compared to their Core2 equivalents....

Ohhh.... i' think I've just created my business case for vertically scaling my servers at work..... Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

dtruchan
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
with all the discussions around the different CPUs in this thread here's a spreadsheet I used for working out the relative performance of the core 2 / Xeon 51xx 53xx family of processors... as they are based on the same architecture, you can directly scale performace up or down depending on Ghz/No of cores

the higher the performance per watt ratio the better....

one thing to remember is the added cost of extra mobos. memory graphics cards cases O/S licenses and Hard drives etc increases the purchase cost plus the added power requirements of multiple machines negatively affects the performance per watt (running costs) value significantly...

Thanks

that said two core2 E6300 based machines are chaper to run than a dual 5120... but a dual E5320 is cheaper than 4 E6300's......

and don't go for the X5355 xeon...... to expensive and coslty to run....

moral... only go for quad core xeons, duals don't make financial sense compared to their Core2 equivalents....

Ohhh.... i' think I've just created my business case for vertically scaling my servers at work..... Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Very nice info, with Income tax money in the bank I am looking at a new computer.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:

On the flip side, an E6700 Core2 is $522 on NewEgg (I also wouldn't trust anywhere selling it at half the going retail rate lol).

I can see where that might look a bit fishy. All I can say is, MEI Micro Center has been around for decades, and I've personally done a lot of business with them. That was some kind of closeout/loss leader they were running. Don't know if they even have the sale on any more.

It's like anywhere else, they have some screaming deals on some things (how about a bulk-packed Kingston 1 GB flash drive for $9.95?), and not so good on some other things. For instance, I ended up getting the hard drive for my AMD rig at best buy, but I bought the DVD burner at Microcenter (dual layer with lightscribe for $34.95, with software). In fact, I liked it so much, that I went back and bought one for the second optical drive on the same rig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: