KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with SAH Manager 5.4.11 Under Win 98SE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brodo
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Problem with SAH Manager 5.4.11 Under Win 98SE Reply with quote

Hi to all the Sages & Mages on here.
I have two boxes running Win 98SE and both are exhibiting the same problem. They are totally different machines (Athlon XP2200 and P3/733) and are clean installs. Apart from a bit of web browsing they are only used to crunch numbers for SAH and file storage in the spare disc space

My problem is.....
If the manager is not "touched" for any longer than 24 hours the entire SAH program freezes until the program is closed and restarted.

All that is required to keep things running is to switch tabs on the display or otherwise manipulate the manager ie going from "Tasks" to "Messages", maximising and minimising or opening and closing the manager is enough to keep it running for the next day. If not touched both machines will grind to a halt. I'm not sure but this could happen when the machine is close to finishing the current unit and contacts the server to call for the next one (a BIG maybe)

This frustrating as my job often takes me away from home for up to a week at a time. Should I install an earlier version of the SAH client or what ?

I have searched the various FAQ's and Wikis but have not found any reference to this problem

TIA and regards to All
Brodo
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 5.8.11, the newest BOINC client.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to run the BOINC Client, and only run the Manager when / if needed. Windows 98 sockets are probably getting overloaded with the constant TCP/IP connection between the Client and Manager.

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUKE windows 98 and run linux!!!!
Brodo
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that , but all it did was open a different can of worms Smile

What flavour and version of Linux do you recommend for a P3/730MHz with 256MB of RAM ? All of the ones I've looked at, the suggested system requirements start at a 1.5GHz processor with 512M of RAM

Regards
Brodo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: