KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rare computer question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Rare computer question Reply with quote

Ok, I'm pretty sure I've diagnosed the problem but thought i'd still ask here. Last night my computer started something weird it would not shutdown. It would go all the way down and you would hear it power down for the briefest of seconds and come right back on sort of like a normal reboot. First thought i had just hit reboot instead of shutdown but when it did it a second time i knew something was up. Did the ole hold in the power button to get it to power off, it wouldn't it would blink off and come back on. did that like 3-4 times before it finnaly shut off. Today i powered it on all good went to shut it down again same thing happened but this time it refused to power off, so i hit the switch in the back of the power supply. I let it sit a few hours thinking wtf is going on. Then went to check my email tonight i turned it back on and it sounded like it was almost getting to post when Blink it would restart so i started pulling components the video card, the raid card etc.. trying to make it do something other than Beep and blink the power and start over about every 10 seconds. So finnaly I had everything disconected and turned just the power supply on. Yea i'm pretty sure my powersupply has Nuked itself. I'm hoping that it is just the powersupply and it didn't take the motherboard with it. Also since Best Buy closed at 6 my pc is dead till at least tomorrow thankfully its not my night to post stats... But may need someone to take my shift this week if ends up not being Just the monster powersupply that had just barely gone out of its 3 year warranty..
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare computer question Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
...thankfully its not my night to post stats... But may need someone to take my shift this week if ends up not being Just the monster powersupply that had just barely gone out of its 3 year warranty..

Your PC starts that and you are worried about the stats????? Confused I think we would understand if you missed a few days because of that.

BTW Good luck with it!

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like a power supply issue to me. I'd say fire up a monitoring util to see what the output voltages are, it's probably fluctuating and other such nonsense that would give it away.

Good luck with it. Put something uber in there. Cool

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Yeah, sounds like a power supply issue to me. I'd say fire up a monitoring util to see what the output voltages are, it's probably fluctuating and other such nonsense that would give it away.

Good luck with it. Put something uber in there. Cool

Umm yea I would do that if the machine would stay powered on for longer than 10 seconds..

But i've ordered a 550w replacement for the 500w that was in there, according to my calcs i was probably border line on the size. I have 5 hard drives, 2 dvd burners, nic, sound card, ATI 9800, 4 case fans..

Kept telling myself i wanted to upgrade the machine this year just hoping its only the power supply as I can't afford everything at once right now.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I gave up on power calcs. My new system has 375 watts, with 2 burners, graphics (7900 GS), and sound cards, but only 1 HDD for now (other drive is still in my other machine from when we moved from TX and I'm too lazy to move it w/o a good reason). Guess the Core 2's are pretty good about power consumption hehe. Not much going on with cooling either, only one exhaust and one intake, both rarely ever on. It's creepy quiet compared to my uber-fans-of-doom (82 cfm... 3 of them, plus 3 other slower fans) box sitting next to it lol.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the debugging continues...

Threw in a new Power Supply, now turns on and stays on.. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!

I now have some wonderful bios beep error codes.. So now i'm googling bios beep codes the darn thing does it so quick its hard to tell what exactly the beep code is.
Sir Doune
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, your PS problem may taken your mainboard with it. I had this happen recently. I thought it was a monitor cable issue. It was an ARCING issue between the mainboard and that big 24 pin power connector. When I pulled the system apart there were three pins that were burned on the mainboard connector.

Over the almost 20 years I have been building them I have had more problems with Power Supplies, memory and hard drives (in that order) than anything else with my PCs.

If you can find the same model mainboard you might NOT have to reinstall your OS.

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Doune wrote:
Unfortunately, your PS problem may taken your mainboard with it. I had this happen recently. I thought it was a monitor cable issue. It was an ARCING issue between the mainboard and that big 24 pin power connector. When I pulled the system apart there were three pins that were burned on the mainboard connector.

Over the almost 20 years I have been building them I have had more problems with Power Supplies, memory and hard drives (in that order) than anything else with my PCs.

If you can find the same model mainboard you might NOT have to reinstall your OS.

Yea at this point if it took the mb with it chances are it took memory, cpu etc.. So i will build it bigger and better..

But i to have delt with my share of power supplys usually they just die they don't do all the freaky stuff this one did. That and so far i've been lucky when power supply went that it didn't take anything else with it..

my server has the identical motherboard etc... so as a last resort i can swap parts to test what has died. Also why i tend to build my PC and the server identicaly or close to each other that i can swap parts between the two.
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well start with the power supply first. At work, the power supply of a PC burned, but fortunately nothing was damaged. Mb, disks, etc. all are in good working order.

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew up a PS last weekend, everthing was ok, just ps went Cool .
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT LIVES!!!

#Big smile

Ya would think after 20 years of putting computers together i wouldn't have made this bone head mistake. PSU did blow up so my new 550 is purring nicely..

But my bios error codes were because i didn't quite put the video card in all the way... DOH!!

At least i didn't fry anything.. Been there done that!!.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I gave up on power calcs.

My PSU gave up last year and I got a 450 watt and I was stunned to find out that I was running on a 165 watt PSU for 3 years. 2 hard drives, 2 optical, and a 6800 GT OC'ed to Ultra and a Barton 2500 OC'ed to 2.1 gig. Rock solid . I think they made PSU's better before.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and from everything I've read nobody actually outputs the power they sell except a few specific brands that are 4x as expensive as anyone else (wonder why). The system I'm on now is prebuilt, I got tired of messing with things. 375 watts is the smallest PSU I've had since, eh... my last Pentium 3 I think lol.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
IT LIVES!!!

#Big smile

Congrats!!!!! #ni-1

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Quixote
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felicitations!
On one Old Clone in particular - I named it "Calamity Jane" I had all forms of weird behaviour until ...duh: The rack's back was not square with the side where the cards plugged: so any movement would pull one or another out of contact. Confused
JONB
Prince
Prince

Location: Cranham (Near Reykjavik but not as close as Bedford) UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late contribution to this debate. My PC will NOT restart by itself. Powers off ok but if it needs to reboot for any reason, upgrade to a program or whatever....No joy! Justs hangs on the final windows screen. I have to hold the power button and restart the machine manually. Any genius out there with an idea as to what the **** is going on?
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONB wrote:
A late contribution to this debate. My PC will NOT restart by itself. Powers off ok but if it needs to reboot for any reason, upgrade to a program or whatever....No joy! Justs hangs on the final windows screen. I have to hold the power button and restart the machine manually. Any genius out there with an idea as to what the **** is going on?

Sounds like it's time for a wipe and reinstall! I had to do it at the turn of the year. I was getting allsorts of funky keyboard issues (and some other unremembered problems too). #Mad

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it's an application not responding to the reboot request. There are lots of ways to respond to that request that will make Windows pop up a box asking if you want to kill the program, but if it simply ignores the request Windows is stymied. How dumb is that?

Before you reboot, try exiting everything you can, and then killing as many processes as possible in task manager. If telling it to reboot works after that, you know it's an application being a poohead.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to find out which app is hanging in Administrative Tools. go to Control panel/ Administrative Tools. Look under application or system. In addition you may want to clean your registry using either EasyCleaner or CCleaner. Both are Freeware. I use both, and they are safe. ( Just DO NOT use the "Duplicate file cleaner in EasyCleaner unless you know what you are doing. You can hose the OS )
#ni-1
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
poohead.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: