KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sata hard drives?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD849
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: sata hard drives? Reply with quote

I am trying to rejuvenate a Gateway computer I bought for my wife. After 6 months the HD failed. I sent it back to Gateway and they replaced the HD. Now 6 more months down the road it is dying again. This time I want to just replace it myself. Can anyone recomend a good SATA HD above 500 gigs

Kent
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd had a few Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drives that seem to perform well over time (they're being heavily hit overnight by lengthy backup operations storing data on them.

Ni!
Fang

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530113%201035915133&name=SATA%203.0Gb%2fs

Sort by best rating. Western Digital makes some great drives, they are what I use. Newegg is also a great place to buy this sort of thing.
stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Western Digital and have been happy with their green series. Runs a little slower, but also quieter, and less power. And by happy, I mean I haven't had to think about the drive. No crashes, no loss of data...

>stats<
bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg has a 1TB Deskstar on sale today (and tomorrow?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.428082&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062110&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062110-_-EMC-062110-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-Combo.428082-L0C

Personally, I've always used Seagate drives without any issues, your mileage may vary, of course.

KENT! Long time, no hear from! I was afraid you'd drowned in the oil or something. We're keeping the light on for ya!

Bill
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Digital has been pretty good for me , have a 750 GB in the main machine and an 2 TB green series in my backup server.

DD849
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpowe wrote:
Newegg has a 1TB Deskstar on sale today (and tomorrow?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.428082&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062110&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062110-_-EMC-062110-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-Combo.428082-L0C

Personally, I've always used Seagate drives without any issues, your mileage may vary, of course.

KENT! Long time, no hear from! I was afraid you'd drowned in the oil or something. We're keeping the light on for ya!

Bill

Thanks Bill, I bought a 1TB seagate drive from newegg. Hopefully this will solve my problem. Also I live in the Tampa Bay region so the oil hasn't affected us yet, but I grew up in the panhandle of Florida and am sick when I go online and see the pictures that the news are not showing us!!!

Kent
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]

Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I second Sir Bill !

Where the H*** have you been Sir Boat ? - Over 2 years plus no hear !!

Best Regds Da-Grizz .

PS Edit : Me , I ain't got any 'Puters - Can't help Very Happy Very Happy

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: