KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lets go swimming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: lets go swimming Reply with quote

MONTEREY, California (Reuters) -- A great white shark in captivity for a record six months was released into the Pacific Ocean Thursday after it attacked and killed two smaller sharks in its tank at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
The female shark -- not quite a year old now -- was starting to act like a hunter in the huge display tank where she has lived 198 days with a number of smaller sharks, tuna and other fishes and turtles, aquarium scientists said.

She bit and killed a soupfin shark in late February and another earlier in March, but the aquarium staff did not see clear hunting behavior until Monday, said Randy Kochevar, a marine biologist at the aquarium.

"For the first time, she was chasing other things around. She was hunting," he said.

Before the Monterey Bay Aquarium obtained this shark, the longest a great white shark had survived in captivity was 16 days.

The young shark was also growing too large for the exhibit, growing to 6 feet 4 inches and 162 pounds since she was caught in a fisherman's net off Southern California in August 2004, the scientists said.

"We were concerned with her size and when we saw this change in her behavior, we decided the time was right to release her," Kochevar said.

The shark was about 5-foot-long and weighed 62 pounds when it was first brought to the aquarium. It has been hand-fed two to four pounds of salmon, tuna and mackerel almost every day since.

The great white shark was released into the waters of Monterey Bay, about 100 miles south of San Francisco, shortly before sunrise Thursday.

Marine scientists said the young shark should adapt easily to life in the wild. She was equipped with a tag to track her movements for the next 30 days.

#ni-1

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming? Suuuuuure!

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! I love animals but I reckon that snakes, crocs and sharks do NOT need to be protected species. They're nasty enough to look after themselves.

(I don't know if they're protected in the U.S. but they are here.)

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they do need to be protected. Crocodiles and Alligators have, essentially, almost stopped evolving. They got to the point they were so good that they didn't need to get better... and then humans came along. We've done a fair job of wiping them out, and they need to be protected from us, not anything else in their environment. Once you take us out of the equation, you're right, they're nasty enough to look after themselves.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Naughty Zoot
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say "HAND FED"?!?!?!?! Er....and they think it won't see a swimmer and think "FOOD, YUM, FOOD"?
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can only hope. I have no sympathy for those that put themselves on something elses menu.

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Actually, they do need to be protected. Crocodiles and Alligators have, essentially, almost stopped evolving. They got to the point they were so good that they didn't need to get better... and then humans came along. We've done a fair job of wiping them out, and they need to be protected from us, not anything else in their environment. Once you take us out of the equation, you're right, they're nasty enough to look after themselves.

I know we've done a lot of damage to the numbers but they are building up again here in Australia, and if it came down to a showdown between a person and a croc, shark or snake I'd rather see the person win.
A lot of north Queensland beaches get closed because of crocs, and just recently an off-duty policeman at Thursday Island was grabbed around the head by a croc. It only let go when the policeman's wife came closer with the boat and pulled her husband in.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I Monty Python fan I should hope you are familiar with the world competition for being eaten by a crocodile. And marinating is strictly forbidden, unless of course they adopt the standard mayonaise or bernaisse sauce.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: