KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Climate Prediction is the least reliable BOINC project evah
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Climate Prediction is the least reliable BOINC project evah Reply with quote

I just realized, after going through my logs and then my results on CPDN's site, that I've got more than 30,000 credits and only actually finished 2 WU's! The vast majority of them crash out with some unrecoverable error, something that SETI does every now and then but like 1% of the time, as opposed to 80% of the time for CPDN.

I'm debating just abandoning that project for something else. What does everyone else think?

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll have another beer.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer is nasty. It's also the least efficient way to get drunk. I prefer long island ice tea, screwdrivers, blue kamikaze and things like that hehe. Doesn't really help me decide what to do about CPDN though.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on CPDN a long time ago. Look at my sig for many projects.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanted a serious answer out of this bunch?

I think I had a total of three units, two of them crashed, but it was directly attributeable to something I screwed up. The other ran through just fine. I think the mere length of the WU allows for more things to happen, I doubt they have a higher incident of problems than other projects.

However, the science at Climate is pretty much done. They will use any returned results but it's not as necessary as it was.[/code]

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you can see from the pic I'm active on quite a few projects already. Since I've got access to three dual-core machines, it lets me run 6 projects 100%, plus one machine that's roughly as fast but single core, and a really old machine that doesn't count for much hehe.

If all I cared about was the points I could leave a machine on CPDN, but it bugs me that it almost never completes, but I still get credit. Surely it could be doing something that's actually useful. Maybe I'll move CPDN over to my slowest machine (probably take 2 years to finish a WU lol) and just put something more useful on the faster on that's currently dedicated to CPDN.

I just don't know much about which projects are reliable with WU's, which ones would help the team or whatever, etc. All I did for years was SETI.

alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir JerWA, Folding@Home is an excellent project, I run it on 3 machines, also TSC is a very good project, as well. Maybe your slower machine would do better on a worth while project, than one that doesn't finish a lot of WU's.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even partial information is wanted from CPDN. If you read the boards, as long as you run the first 10 years, it's good, first 40 is great, etc... They do not need completed units to get the data they are looking for, but completed units do give more info.

CPDN actually sent out a crash on units a while back. They made all units of a certain type crash. So all those crashes may not be your fault.

It is correct that CPDN is winding down in it's current state. If I understand it correctly someone else is trying to take it over and revamp it. There has been talk of smaller units that would be 40 year sections. So the first 40 gets done, then the next 40 can be queued up to be done with some of the previous data inserted in it, to keep it consistent.

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear,

That's just it, lately it's been really inconsistent. Between the two machines I had on CPDN I've gone through 7 WU's in the last 5 days! Two with more than 300 hours into them, three with 10 hours or less, and 2 with only minutes. They all crashed with the same unrecoverable error reported by the client (this is on two totally different machines, an AMD XP 3000+ and a Core 2 Duo E6400). No clue why suddenly they're just dying off left and right.

As such, I've dropped CPDN from my Core 2 machine (it's now juggling a round of WCG/Einstein/SETI through but will soon be doing Einstein/SETI dedicated) and may drop it from the AMD box as well.

I'll look into Folding and TSC. Don't think I've heard of TSC before. Thanks Alpha.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which project is TSC?

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About TSC

The Rothberg Institute For Childhood Diseases is a non-profit organization dedicated to finding a cure for children suffering from Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC). We operate at the intersection of modern biology, computer science, and chemistry.

The work we do on TSC will also have a direct impact on cancer research, and we will be testing the drugs we find as weapons against cancer. In addition the work we do to create a system to attack orphan diseases will form a prototype for work on other orphan diseases.

TSC is a genetic disorder that leads to benign tumors in multiple organs, including the brain, kidneys, heart, eyes, lungs and other organs. During the first few years, the severity of TSC can range from mild skin abnormalities to,in severe cases, seizures, mental retardation or renal failure. For more information about TSC please visit http://www.tsalliance.org

The TS Alliance Rothberg Award for Courage in Research recognizes and supports outstanding scientific research directed at finding a cure for TSC.

The TS Alliance is a national voluntary health organization dedicated to finding a cure for tuberous sclerosis complex and improving the lives of those affected.

The Rothberg Foundation For Childhood Diseases TSC forum is available to unite those suffering from the disease with the experts and volunteers working to find a cure. You will find the discussion groups moderated by experts in the field and have the opportunity to ask questions and share information with them and among other members of the forum.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:
We operate at the intersection of modern biology, computer science, and chemistry.

Alpha performes operations? Shocked In an intersection? Where is this intersection? I tried mapquest and google maps and I got no results. Confused

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly, that was from the TSC site. Don't make me come slap you. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by alpha_fruit on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:
Silly, thay was from the TSC site. Don't make me come slap you. Rolling Eyes

If you want to breve the suddenly seasonably cold weather in NYC then come on up! #ni-1

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Buffalo. NY sucks, can't smoke indoors anywhere. Piss on them.............
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I have more drama. I have a rig that's crashing out on BOINC. It looks like Proteins@H puked on some sort of error and did not properly clean up after itself when it terminated. This resulted in it falling into a loop of opening every WU it had and crashing again, I think each time consuming more resources. Eventually it ran out, but kept right on downloading workunits that it could not start (unrecoverable error, insufficient resources), over and over. I'm sure WCG & Proteins are both pissed at that machine now.

So, guess I'm dumping Proteins@H, as it's now even less reliable in my book than CPDN (at least CPDN only crashed it's own WUs (which it did again tonight btw), while Proteins now has the rare honor of crashing every WU on the machine AND making it download 40 more and crashing all of those too).

Edit: After detaching, I also had to go manually kill a bunch of zombied Proteins@H processes, delete it's directory, and reboot the machine. #Cussing out

Starting to think I should have just stuck with SETI.

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so here's the setup I'm on for now. Unless a project shuts down, runs out of work, or starts blowing up my machines (grrr @ Proteins), these are my projects.

Core 2 Duo #1 - SETI & WCG (Currently depleting Einstein)
Core 2 Duo #2 - Rosetta & QMC (Both have been rock solid so far)
Core 2 Duo #3 - Einstein & WCG (The one that Proteins blew up)
AMD XP 3k - Rosetta
Intel P4 1Ghz - SETI

That makes it two for WCG (I may eventually migrate that so it's all on one, but the two systems have different activity cycles so maybe not), two for Rosetta, one (point 2 lol) SETI, and one Einstein. Dropped from the list effective now are CPDN and Proteins@Home.

I looked at some of the other projects mentioned, but I'm going to stick with BOINC projects for now.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
I just got back from Buffalo. NY sucks, can't smoke indoors anywhere. Piss on them.............

You are safer not to light up in NY anyway...Sir Farty lives in NY... Shocked

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of zombie WU's I had an Einstien WU do that to me. It trashed a whack load of RS WU's before I noticed what was going on a day later. Did a shutdown of boinc, killed the offending process, opened the slots dir and cleaned out the overly cluttered one, restarted BOINC and no probs since then. Cool
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have occasionally had problems with WCG wu's that normally take between 5 & 9 hours ( depends on machine ) suddenly taking 21 to 35 hours. I just suspend project and then restet. WCG knows what wu's I should have and re-sends them to me then they crunch ok. But I lose a whole day b4 I find out. #Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: