KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Majestic 12 - Team Crunchy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: "hating on AMD is fun" Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Eh? What's that go to do with team Crunchy? Besides, hating on AMD is fun. I've got one, but it's outnumbered hehe.

Well, I thought we were all in this together (chasing team Crunchy, in this instance), and I thought this team was open to everyone. I don't remember seeing anything about a requirement to run a certain brand of CPU.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M.

the only pre-requisite for this team is you have to be a total loonie to join in the first place....

JerWa's totally irrational AMD bashing is just his way of demonstrating his nuttiness in public..... please just humour him... the nurse with the drugs will be along soon enough to calm him down....

all that matters is every shrub is sacred, irrespective of where it comes from... we've even got people running seti on their own builds of HP-UX.... how crazy is that!

#ni-1 #ni-1

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well up until Core 2 Duo, Amd was making Intel beg for its mommy. However now you can't argue with the benchmarks, Intel's top chip beats the pants off AMD's top chip in every single catagory. That said, All my machines are AMD. I have 5 in this room and of my Borged machines only one is Intel and that Prescott gets spanked by my 2500 Barton.

#ni-1Overtaking Crunchers Inc : 2.02 Days | Gap : 18,228,000 #ni-1
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: AMD bashing Reply with quote

Thanks Sir Brian and Sir Papa Smurf. I needed that. Razz

I don't dispute that Intel is whipping AMD right now, right up and down the line, as far as raw performance goes. My point is more about price/performance. In my experience, AMD has always beat Intel in that regard. For a while there, especially for games, cheaper AMD chips were just plain beating the equivalent Intel chips like a bongo drum.

Just for grins, I had a look at CPU's on NewEgg (where I bought mine). E6400's seemed to be going for anywhere between 50% and 75% of approximately what I have in my whole rig.

Something else I noticed - dual-core Opterons have gotten pretty affordable (not as cheap as FX2's but still not at all bad). I may need to save my pennies and dimes for a bit longer (provided my mobo will support the Opteron), because they have 1MX2 L2 cache, instead of 512k X2 like the FX2's
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD bashing Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:
Thanks Sir Brian and Sir Papa Smurf. I needed that. Razz

I don't dispute that Intel is whipping AMD right now, right up and down the line, as far as raw performance goes. My point is more about price/performance. In my experience, AMD has always beat Intel in that regard. For a while there, especially for games, cheaper AMD chips were just plain beating the equivalent Intel chips like a bongo drum.

Just for grins, I had a look at CPU's on NewEgg (where I bought mine). E6400's seemed to be going for anywhere between 50% and 75% of approximately what I have in my whole rig.

Something else I noticed - dual-core Opterons have gotten pretty affordable (not as cheap as FX2's but still not at all bad). I may need to save my pennies and dimes for a bit longer (provided my mobo will support the Opteron), because they have 1MX2 L2 cache, instead of 512k X2 like the FX2's

it's not just a price/performace thing when buying the thing... it's also how much power the system uses running @ 100% 24/7 and then the cost of getting rid of the heat produced, ie A/C.... that's where intel have AMD licked on all counts at the moment....

to put it into perspective my E6300 system produces 25% more work than my AMD 4200 x2, uses 100 watts less power to do so and about runs about 20'C cooler...

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_host_stats.php?pr=bo&st=0&userid=61638cf6a7d868f03c44906a1e902ef6

#ni-1

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD bashing Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

it's not just a price/performace thing when buying the thing... it's also how much power the system uses running @ 100% 24/7 and then the cost of getting rid of the heat produced, ie A/C.... that's where intel have AMD licked on all counts at the moment....

to put it into perspective my E6300 system produces 25% more work than my AMD 4200 x2, uses 100 watts less power to do so and about runs about 20'C cooler...

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_host_stats.php?pr=bo&st=0&userid=61638cf6a7d868f03c44906a1e902ef6

#ni-1

Well, like the man says, you pays your money, and you takes your choice. I'm not worried about the heat load (we don't have A/C, and seldom feel the need for it, in this climate), and I'd rather pay for even 100W more power consumption over the life of the CPU, than have to pay 2-3 times as much up front for the CPU itself.

But that's just me. I can certainly see a great deal of logic in your approach.

I'll admit that it seems like that E6300 is a real hoss though. Good for you and Intel, for that matter. They've pulled off a real coup with that whole line of CPU's.

I think there are some newer AMD CPUs that use a lot less power, though they may be all socket AM2 (that's something I'll check on as I'm shopping). I think they are even being called "65W" (or at least some of them).
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
Lloyd M.

...all that matters is every shrub is sacred, irrespective of where it comes from... we've even got people running seti on their own builds of HP-UX.... how crazy is that!

#ni-1 #ni-1

I forgot to comment on this.

Yes, that is truly nutty. Must be a systems guy. I had some mainframe systems guys tell me about their inside, running joke that you just lock them in a room and feed them some raw meat occasionally.

Whomever (or whatever team of people) came up with that HP-UX build sounds like a real hacker in the original (true) sense. I am impressed!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said you couldn't run an AMD. You just jumped into a thread about team Crunchy, for an app that isn't even CPU intensive, to take a stand against AMD abuse. What difference does it make what CPU you're using when we're talking about an app that crunches bandwidth? It seems you completely and utterly hijacked the thread. Then again, what can you expect from an AMD user. Very Happy

As for being in the top 10 per day for our team, aren't there only like 11 active users? Razz

PS: I still run an AMD rig in my farm, and it used to be my computer. Just as the AMD 64 3k in Texas was, as were my last 5 or 6 computers. I'm no AMD hater, and I have no interest in brand loyalty. I'm using an Intel now because it's more effective for what I wanted to do, end of story. It's only bashing if it's based on opinion, rather than fact. Therefor, I am not an AMD basher.

PS: The other half of my l33tsig IS my AMD box (it happens to be my g/fs computer right now, sitting on the desk next to mine):

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Shocked
You turn away for five seconds, and this braggin-about-crushing-the-munchers thread has turned into an AMD vs. Intel debate! #evil

It's a large forum. Start a new thread in the Round Table or something. Rolling Eyes

1.65 days, and they haven't even started resisting yet? Confused

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point lol. He started it though. Razz Razz Razz

I joined MAJ12 just to help beat Team Crunchy (or about to be crunched). Once it became painfully obvious that they were whooped, I stopped MAJ12 so I could go back to downloading... err... other things. Embarassed

I don't think there's anyone left in Crunchy to resist us. Evidently only Guru actually cares, with the rest of their team only running it because they forgot they installed it long ago. Laughing

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
I never said you couldn't run an AMD. You just jumped into a thread about team Crunchy, for an app that isn't even CPU intensive, to take a stand against AMD abuse. What difference does it make what CPU you're using when we're talking about an app that crunches bandwidth? It seems you completely and utterly hijacked the thread. Then again, what can you expect from an AMD user. Very Happy

As for being in the top 10 per day for our team, aren't there only like 11 active users? Razz

Nothing like going out of your way to make a new guy feel welcome.

I'm not the one that started talking about CPUs on this thread; I just responded to a specific comment about a particular brand of CPU.

...and ask my poor, abused Celery 400 about whether MJ12 is CPU intensive.

All in all, I don't need this ******* grief. I have far better things to do with my time than to subject myself to this ad homineim nonsense.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:

BTW, try still number 10 out of 32 team members for today. No doubt with your vast experience and wisdom, you would know better than I how many of those users are "active". Perhaps there are only 11 active users from our team. I won't dispute this.

And how about 26th overall, all with a Celery 400 that refuses to shrub for more than a few hours at a time.
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now kids... don't make me pull this thread over! This is a glorious time for KWSN as we are within 7 million URLs of team crunchy! I believe it will happen today!

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under 5 million!
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 2 million Cool.

Im getting a chubby over this Shocked Very Happy Laughing Smile Confused Sad Embarassed !

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under a million! Maybe 600,000 or so
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... we've done it!

PGGBs for all!

Code:

4   Knights Who Say Ni!             2,291,655,110   46,952,380
5   Crunchers Inc                   2,291,452,746   39,855,633
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a crunchy sound when we rolled over them Laughing !
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not even a whimper in their forums........ onl;y added 400k myself.... but wohoo!...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: