KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comp slowing down?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: comp slowing down? Reply with quote

One of my remote machines is slowing down. Large einstien pkgs used to take 6:30 or so, small 45 min. now lg pkgs take 8+ hours and small 55+ min. there are no additional running programs as I just had to restore it because of windoze failure to boot. It was doing it before failure as well.

It is a HP Pavillion a1101n with a Celeron 340 running at 2933.2MHz half gig ram. I cant OC it, settings are locked in cmos.

Any suggestions? #Mad #Mad
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your computer is merely asserting it's independence. You must re-assert yours. Take it outside and beat the ever-loving shit out of it Cool .
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try defrag first.

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Your computer is merely asserting it's independence. You must re-assert yours. Take it outside and beat the ever-loving shit out of it Cool .

Now you tell me, AFTER I go and buy pertition magic. Jeez. If I had know that all it would have taken was a good old fashioned ass woophin, then I could have done that weeks ago. Rolling Eyes

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did defrag then I defraged with Diskeeper. It did not change a thing.

And I would Kick the S%!& out of it except it is not mine. It is a friends. I just fix it when the kids F#C% it up.
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa

try and run the boinc cpu benchmarks on it and then compare the results to another machine of the same spec, if its similar don't worry as Einstein has been handing out a lot more credits then it really should be for a while now...... so they could be handing out longer WU's as a way returning to a level paying field...... #ni-2

rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.adaware-antispyware.com/AdAware/

Run Ad Aware and windows defender or spy bot, you could have spy ware slowing everthing down.
#ni-1

also update anti virus defs and run

Last edited by rotciv KOTHRT on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: comp slowing down? Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
One of my remote machines is slowing down. Large einstien pkgs used to take 6:30 or so, small 45 min. now lg pkgs take 8+ hours and small 55+ min. there are no additional running programs as I just had to restore it because of windoze failure to boot. It was doing it before failure as well.

It is a HP Pavillion a1101n with a Celeron 340 running at 2933.2MHz half gig ram. I cant OC it, settings are locked in cmos.

Any suggestions? #Mad #Mad

The obvious....

When was the last time you opened the case and blew the dust out? If the Heatsink is covered in dust or the pc is now near a heat register, along with running 100% cpu usage could be causing the cpu to think it is overheating and be throttling itself back in an attempt cool down. Intels love to do that, even cases where pent 4's after running 100% cpu ussage for upto 6 months are throttling them selves back because they think there overheating, was a chip bug that intel has admitted to.

The non obvious..
You have kids hmm when was the last time like someone else suggested you checked for spyware or viruses.. Or have the kids just been using it a lot latly for there new game giving you less CPU cycles.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you guys sure think like me. I factory restored machine as it would not boot, NTOSKRNL was corrupt. I also used a can of air to remove dust from all heat sinks and fans as well as memory. I always run Spybot S & D with Tea Timer, EZ Cleaner, AVG anti virus and their Malware suite, AdAware, Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, I also use and have everyone I know use Firefox and Thunderbird, I also defrag at least weekly and all Windoze updates are installed. I don't have a similar machine as all others are AMD, However, that one was very similar in processing ability to my main one that is a 2500 barton OCed to 3200+ speed and that one is still doing big ones at 6:30 ( it never seems to get small ones ) I think that the more reliable the machine the more large ones Einstien sends you. I have gone thru Task Manager and nothing new is running and Einstien is pulling 99% so I think that for some reason the Cpu is slowing down. It is not Heat, and Bios/Cmos settings are locked so they could not have changed. The only time I have had a NTOSKRNL falure is when I OCed a machine too much or tried to move a Hard drive from one machine to another dissimilar machine and Windoze demanded to be reinstalled. Could something in the Cpu have failed and how would I check it? It still does Super Pi 1million digits at 1:09. My AMD does same at 53's. Also the whole machine is laggy.
Oh and Cohiba, this one just gets used to check email and surf web. Kids are not suposed to use it, they have their own. It runs boinc 24-7 no games. However kids sneak and put Steam etc. on it. "Kids" they are in their 20's but ill behaved. I deleted all their crap and it is now at my house while I repair damage and try to Kid-proof it. That bug you were talking about, Where can I find more info and can I bypass it?
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
I always run Spybot S & D with Tea Timer, EZ Cleaner, AVG anti virus and their Malware suite, AdAware, Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall...

With all that running, it's no wonder you are slowing down! Laughing #ni-1

Actually, virus software, spyware and a firewall should be required an ALL PCs now a days.... Sad

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With all that running, it's no wonder you are slowing down!

Nah, they don't pull many cycles ( only when active ) and some don't pull any. The only ones always active are firewall and Tea Timer. they rarely pull more than 2% and only occasionly. Spyware Guard and Blaster are just host files. they don't run at all except when you update them. AVG is much less bloated and slow than Norton. Norton will definatly cause lag.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just kidding about the lag from the safety software Wink .

I am running Norton Anti-virus, and Webroot Spy Sweeper plaus the windows firewall with a router. I will glady give up a few cpu cycles to keep nasty stuff out.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Norton I find is very slow, especialy if you have it scan email and web pages. Webroot I have tried, but I cant remember why I did not like it. I dont use it anymore so I must not like it. Or perhaps it costs money. There are so many excelent free solutions out there. I personally HATE the windoze firewall as it never tells you anything. When I tried to open programs or websites they just never came up, no pop up or notification, nada. It never told me anything. So now I shut it off on all comps.
Well, whatever works for you.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently along the lines of "So Far, So good".....

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Manager and nothing new is running and Einstien is pulling 99% so I think that for some reason the Cpu is slowing down. It is not Heat, and Bios/Cmos settings are locked so they could not have changed.

tried to move a Hard drive from one machine to another dissimilar machine and Windoze demanded to be reinstalled.

house while I repair damage and try to Kid-proof it. That bug you were talking about, Where can I find more info and can I bypass it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/index.html
Article about bypass depends on system and article explains some things they found again i love tomshardware since its nearly real world test.

When moving XP hard drives between systems you will BlueScreen NTKernel Panic, if the Motherboards and CPU's are different. I've even had it Bluescreen with same motherboards different CPU's. Motherboards ended up being different revisions..

Also to check of throttling a nice little app, Throttle Watch www.techspot.com/download400.html for pent 4 and pent M only.
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving a hard drive is do-able, but you need to instal a generic drive driver before hand. Which means you're SOL if the MB goes toast.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a very interesting article Cohiba. I have already downloaded a little program called RightMark CPU Clock Utility. it does not appear that it is throttling however mabey I will remove the heat sink and put some Artic Silver 5 on it. I was wondering if mabey the stock stuff had dried out and become useless, I have had that happen before. But the temps seem to be fine. I am looking for a good monitoring utility and will see if temps are out of line. Right now my net connection is acting funny. It makes everything kind of frustrating.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well temp is 74c at load and 47c idle. this is normal for a prescott. Computer still lags. Mabey it needs more memory, only has 1/2 gig. And I locked in 1.5 gig of swap file.
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa,

take a look at sisoft sandra

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

its a very comprehensive benchmarking and analysis tool that also has expected reults for your system to compare to..

Ni!

#ni-1

bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main machine started lagging baddly a few months ago. I fought with it without ever establishing the cause... until the HD went belly up. With a new drive installed, it's back to normal.

If you can find the manufacturers diagnostic software, check your drive!

bp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: