KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distributed Rainbow Table Generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Distributed Rainbow Table Generator Reply with quote

the Url for thos new BOINC project : http://hashbreaker.com:8700/tmrldrtg/ I have already created the team. Frankly though I do not understand it so I might not be working for it for long. Also it has a funny name.

Ni
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with cracking passwords and breaking encryption. Where did you find it? The website is running on a nonstandard port which doesn't do much to convince me that they are a serious project. I would advise caution. Just because it uses BOINC doesn't mean it is safe or worthy of CPU time.
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spudster
Message 15598 - Posted 27 Dec 2006 19:43:43 UTC

Hello Everyone,

I hope to help clarify a few things about the Hashbreaker & TMRL DRTG project.

1) Hashbreaker.com & TMRL are not hacker organizations.
We specialize in helping individuals and companies maintain strong password policies by auditing password strength. This audit helps companies maintain Sarbanes Oxley controls over their core networks.

2) Hashbreaker.com does not profit from tables generated using the BOINC system.
All tables generated (And even two tables MD5 & SHA1 that where not generated) using the BOINC client are freely available for download on the Hashbreaker.com website. The current table (MD5 1-8 mixalpha numeric) will be roughly 500GB in size when completed. It too will be 100% free. We have been working on a system that will allow those participants who help in the project free access to the Hashbreaker Online cracker. It should be finished mid-January. Until then, the Hashbreaker Online functionality is NOT commercial and may be used by anyone who registers an account.

3) We do not help Hackers
In our Use Policy it clearly states that anyone using our resources will be prosecuted to the fullest extent under US law. We will cooperate fully with any Law Enforcement agency to the limits of our Privacy Policy.

4) We are profiting from all this
We only profit from one of two things. 1: Use of our CPU’s for Rainbowtable Cryptanalysis 2: Sale of Rainbowtables we created without the BOINC System. We offer the BOINC system as a way of enhancing our services, and spreading security awareness.

5) We do not audit members passwords
That’s correct; we do NOT in any way audit the passwords of our members. Hard as it may be to believe, it is a voluntary subscription. If you are a security professional, use a strong password, mine is a minimum 32 chars long, and never used anywhere twice.

We do not hide what we do, we are willing to answer any password auditing or security related question posed.

The site is new and still in Beta, we will look into the Javascript issues that might prevent some people from accessing our site.

Anyone wishing to remove an account is free to do so, Thank you for you interest in our site, we are a proud supporter of the BOINC project and support it fully. Its an inspiration to many people who find new and creative ways to use technology for the benefit of everyone.

I am sorry for anyone who may have thought otherwise. I would encourage everyone to learn what a project is about before resorting to vandalism and defacements.

Thanks - Spudster

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it at the main BOINC Synergy site.

Ni
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting discussion about the potentially hazardous (and for profit) use of the results over at the BOINCstats Forum and the credibility in general of the project. Since this isn't somebody's thesis (as HashClash is/was) the project team is automatically bad/evil people (apparently).
Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined this project for about 5 minutes.

Then I discovered that their website has a hash-lookup function so you can retrieve plain text passwords from their hash.

I thought this was rather dodgy and wasn't 100% happy about it so detached.

I was wary about Hashclash until I realised they were trying to prove it was possible to create identical hashes for different data and not creating tables of data people could potentially use for hacking into accounts.

Badges:
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh were building our own set of rainbow tables at work. I've tried to convince them to turn the servers over to boinc projects.. but alas no luck. So far the first rainbow table was around 200gb for alpha numeric passwords 8 letters long. Current run is alpha numeric and special characters they are estimating sometime later this year to be done with it, Right now were around 800gb and climbing.

But rainbow tables are sooo much fun to use, we ran the 200gb against a old domain controller and it found 99% of all passwords in 5 minutes. There were over 5,000 accounts on that domain controller.
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we are only in BOINC for the prestige and the STATS, then look at our team moving up here:- http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=tmrl

Use
Quote:
http://hashbreaker.com:8700/tmrldrtg/
to join from BOINC Manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: