KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me pack!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Help me pack! Reply with quote

I'm going to visit my parents for Christmas. They currently live in Hungary. I'm sure it will be a blast once I get there but before I get there I have a few hurdles to overcome. Whenever someone from the US goes to visit my parents they start going online a couple months ahead of time and ordering random things. They ship them to the person who will be going (me in this case) so that they can take them on the airplane and avoid paying expensive international shipping. Nice way to save some money. However this year I think they went a little overboard. Check out this picture I took of everything I will be taking back to them. Keep in mind that every person is allowed 2 pieces of luggage that each must weigh under 50 pounds.

clicky

The first thing to notice is that yes, indeed that is a vacuum cleaner with attachments in the box on the floor. Yes, that is going with me. Apparently European vacuum cleaners just don't suck hard enough. Also, the luggage in the picture is not my own but once again something that my parents ordered and want to keep over there. They stack inside of each other but that leaves almost no space for stuff inside. Then there is a bunch of books, DVDs, a few clothes, ink/toner, orthopedic insoles and a DVD player. Oh and there is more (not sure how much) that is waiting at my brother's place.

Now for the good news. I'm traveling with my brother and his family. They had to get a full priced ticket for my 2 year old niece which means that she is allowed 2 full sized bags.

And there you have it. My challenge for this Christmas season. Will I be able to do it and still have room for clothes to wear once I get over there?! Confused Hit me with your best suggestions. I'm sure there is some way to use the looney magnet to fix this situation - we just have to figure it out! #Crazy

First thing that comes to mind: the 2 year old gets the vacuum cleaner. She always has too much energy anyway. Maybe lugging around a 50 pound box will wear her out and calm her down for the 7 hour transatlantic flight. Laughing
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!

I know what you mean... Nothing to do actually.
Btw, is the current the same for US and Hungary? Or they're going to start looking for an adapter and/or converter?

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG

I think tenebra has a point....

the US is 120 volts, europe is 240 volts......

so anything with an electrical motor will catch light very quickly. the DVD might have a 120/240 volt switch on the back like PC power supplies.....

#Onfire #Onfire #Onfire #Onfire #Onfire #Onfire

Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact sometimes you need an adapter between countries in Europe as well, because of the different type of plugs as well. I have a small sack of adapters for that reason. Most of my portable electrical equipment already have a converter, or work for currents from 120 to 240 V both AC and DC. (Not talking about Cd-players and stuff working on batteries...)

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suck everything into the vacuum cleaner, when you get there, reverse it Confused .
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's using the bag of holding? Someone, quick borrow it to Mac! C'mon, he's done so much for us, getting this serve, the forums, stats, etc. all up and running nice for us.

Last edited by Pooh Bear 27 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help me pack! Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
I'm going to visit my parents for Christmas. ... I'm sure there is some way to use the looney magnet to fix this situation - we just have to figure it out! #Crazy

Maybe if you drop the Loon** Magnet (tm) on these items and squash them down to size so that they fit. If the LM isn't available, maybe Sir Jbyram2 can help out. Wink

More advice: Don't take anything with you that can be bought when you get there (ie: clothes). Tell your relatives they need to take you shopping as the price for bringing stuff to them.

ni! i!u
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm liking what I see so far. And yes, the voltage is different and yes my parents have transformers all over the house. Growing up in Austria my first play toy was a 40 pound blue transformer. It kept me warm at night. My dad even built one into the kitchen so mom has both 120 and 220 all over the kitchen.

One thing I'm surprised about is that the frequency difference doesn't cause more problems. The US uses 60 Hz and Europe uses 50 Hz. I would think that appliances with AC motors (like vacuum cleaners) would run slower. But apparently they still work. Ever since I can remember we had a Rainbow vacuum cleaner from the US. And apparently that same one just broke down after more than 20 years so my parents want another one that will go another 20.
larry1186
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time at the airport cuz having several people buying stuff then shipping it to you right before you take a trans-Atlantic flight might look a little fishy, or smell a little weird (not sure which, but take your pick), to the Feds, especially if a two year old needs to take along 50 lbs of vacuum cleaners...

If you do get questioned, just explain that you're from the Loonie Bin and they'll realize you aren't smart enough to have a master plot and let you go.

Do the outlets and water spigots go too? What about the shelves?
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build a Star Trek transporter and use that to ship all the stuff to Hungray before you fly.

Ni
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG...

If you're going to hungry, why not just eat it all....

(I bet you haven't heard that one before) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:

Ever since I can remember we had a Rainbow vacuum cleaner from the US. And apparently that same one just broke down after more than 20 years so my parents want another one that will go another 20.

Nothing you buy today will last anywhere near what the earlier versions would last. It's very sad but anymore it's about profits only instead of reliability. #ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
If you're going to hungry, why not just eat it all....

Yeah real original Razz Or I could have some Turkey fried in Greece! OMGLOL!

imcrazynow wrote:
Nothing you buy today will last anywhere near what the earlier versions would last. It's very sad but anymore it's about profits only instead of reliability.

So what you are saying is that I should just ditch the vacuum cleaner since it won't last anyway and tell my parents to buzz off? Hmm I shall have to ponder these wise words of wisdom...
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
MacG wrote:

Ever since I can remember we had a Rainbow vacuum cleaner from the US. And apparently that same one just broke down after more than 20 years so my parents want another one that will go another 20.

Nothing you buy today will last anywhere near what the earlier versions would last. It's very sad but anymore it's about profits only instead of reliability. #ni-1

Vacuum quality ratings can be very misleading to the uninformed. When someone says that a particular vacuum cleaner sucks, that it sucks real bad, that it sucks a lot, that it sucks the big one, folks "in-the-know" realize that this is a highly regarded vacuum cleaner Confused .
#ni-2
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Vacuum quality ratings can be very misleading to the uninformed. When someone says that a particular vacuum cleaner sucks, that it sucks real bad, that it sucks a lot, that it sucks the big one, folks "in-the-know" realize that this is a highly regarded vacuum cleaner Confused .
#ni-2

Is that something like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose?
(Someone had to go there, didn't they?)
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -having travelled a bit on restricted baggage allowances , here's some tips :
Hand luggage that fits into the overhead locker above your seat is not normally weighed - so put small heavy stuff into that bag(s).Otherwise just the clothes that you need for the trip. The Baggage handalin' twits can't loose this bag!!!!
If there is more than one person on a joint booking with the airline, bagage allowance can be shared (ie 2 guys with 50 pounds each, one has 20 lbs , other can have 80lbs) .
Handbags (Purse in USA speak) are also exempt from weighing (Mary Poppins anyone?)
Speak to any and all of the fellow travellers on your flight and ask (beg-bribe) them for their hand lugage allowance (someone - no names...
once brought a dissasembled motorbike back from the USA many years ago like this #evil )
All of these have worked for me in the past.

Happy Hols, Regds Grizz

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly wrote:
Speak to any and all of the fellow travellers on your flight and ask (beg-bribe) them for their hand lugage allowance (someone - no names...
once brought a dissasembled motorbike back from the USA many years ago like this #evil )

I can see it now "Hi, can you carry my motor?

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course here we have the opposite problem.. Cube mate is going back to Iran and were filling him with lists of stuff he needs to bring back from Iran that is not available in the US.
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

I can see it now "Hi, can you carry my motor?

Nowadays this would probably get you arrested too. Confused

ni! i!u
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they tend to frown upon that these days. Well tomorrow I will be getting ready and driving to my brother's place in Kansas City where the real packing will happen. I'll let you know if anything juicy happens!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: