KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I surrender...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: I surrender... Reply with quote

My beloved Einstein@home has let me down... I've got over 20,000 credits pending and hundreds of results stuck and unable to report... Several of my dual processor, dual core boxes are without work and sit idly by...

This in mind, I surrender. I've decided to run additional projects on my machines to keep them busy. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything with the exception of SETI@home.

Thanks folks!

#ni-1

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Rosetta.

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Rosetta for smaller/normalized work units or QMC for WUs that are all over the place (I have a 4 hr one queued right after a 2 day one).

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Teeam perspective we need more WCG credits..... we're still in 97th place and about to go down to 99th!!!

you can use boinc to manage it insteadof thier client....

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

#ni-1 #ni-1

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my sig. It depends on what type of project you want to run. Such as Chess, RiselSieve, Proteions, ABC, NanoHive, Leiden Classical, My account, PrimeGrid and Predictor.

Ni
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sir Brian. WCG is an embarrassment to the team. We need help there............

#ni-1
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other good thing about WCG... apart from it being a team embarrasment Confused Confused is that there's multiple projects running within it

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/viewResearch.do

#ni-1 #ni-1

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with WCG is that they're running well below the "standard" credit rate for BOINC. Some days it seems worse than others, but on average I'd say it's running at least 30% lower credits/hour than any other project I'm on.

I know, I know, it's not supposed to be about credits. If it's not, then why do we even care that our team is barely top 100 there? Rolling Eyes I will leave the one machine I have on it because that was a condition of the machines owner hehe, but I'm not going to add any other hosts until/if theres a credit tweak.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
the other good thing about WCG... apart from it being a team embarrasment Confused Confused is that there's multiple projects running within it

#ni-1 #ni-1

I looked at the WCG website and it does look like a very worthwhile project. I joined WCG and the KNSW team. I've got one of my doolies running it but it seems to be only consuming 13 percent of the CPU cycles.

I've not had time to research this much. Perhaps one of you fellow Knights could enlighten as to the workings of WCG.

Any help would be appreciated.

#ni-1

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for only worthwhile projects to tun the you should run Rosetta. They(we) shrub for cancer research. So it's a good thingwhen you bash in Martha's head for that gd saying!!

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, WCG shrubs for cancer research, as well...

As I said, I haven't had time to look at WCG in any more depth than the home page but it sounds like a project I can support. I'm still open to suggestions, however and I'll look at Rosetta.

I hate to see CPU cycles go to waste...

Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to put in another plug for Rosetta here. When I came back on board I obviously rejoined seti, its my old standard. But with BOINC supporting multiple projects easily I hunted down a worthwhile medical project and decided that Rosetta was the best one going.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhawk wrote:
KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

#ni-1 #ni-1

I looked at the WCG website and it does look like a very worthwhile project. I joined WCG and the KNSW team. I've got one of my doolies running it but it seems to be only consuming 13 percent of the CPU cycles.

I've not had time to research this much. Perhaps one of you fellow Knights could enlighten as to the workings of WCG.

Any help would be appreciated.

#ni-1

hmmm... never seen that before, WCG and rosetta are pretty memory hungry, about 300mb per client running.... I wonder if the systems paging out to disk.....

BTW the team you want is The knights who say Ni!

there's another imposter team out there, we don't want your shruuberies going to someone else!!!!

#ni-1

Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I surrender... Reply with quote

Warhawk wrote:
My beloved Einstein@home has let me down... I've got over 20,000 credits pending and hundreds of results stuck and unable to report... Several of my dual processor, dual core boxes are without work and sit idly by...

This in mind, I surrender. I've decided to run additional projects on my machines to keep them busy. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything with the exception of SETI@home.

Thanks folks!

#ni-1

Hi and Ni !! Sir WarBird !!

Well , if stats are your thing (and they play a huge part of my fun in DC Embarassed ) and you do not mind a non-Boinc project , then KWSN needs a lot of help in the mathematical/science section of DCing.
Take a look at Muon or LLR or PiSegment or Any of the Sieve projects under the DC Vault page to make a choosy . TSC also needs help in the medical research area (or D2ol)
Forgive me for saying so , but Boink seems to easy to run and just let the box sort out the resource used - if you are into stats , take charge and compete against other Teams in a fun and strategic way ! Very Happy
After saying that , the one Boink project (mathematical) that needs assistance is ABC@Home .

Sorry for the plugs , but you did ask .

Regds Grizz

PS Umm - Majestic12 (low overhead , but huge bandwidth requirement ) also could apreciate help .

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Ill make much of a difference to the total numbers Grizzly but I added ABC as my third project.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, please don't consider it "surrender" to run more than one project as your title suggests - you should always run more than one since servers sometimes crash, etc. You waste fewer sacred computer cycles that way...

Several projects mentioned above are related to each other. Ralph is software development for Rosetta. However, it's my understanding that Rosetta is also development work for WCG. It's as if Ralph is Alpha, Rosetta is Beta, and WCG is the released production software. So if you're interested in Rosetta, you should run WCG as well. If you want to improve Rosetta and WCG, you should run a little Ralph too. (I'm not an expert on these three projects, so please correct me if I'm wrong...)
#ni-1
Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
By the way, please don't consider it "surrender" to run more than one project as your title suggests - you should always run more than one since servers sometimes crash, etc. You waste fewer sacred computer cycles that way...

Several projects mentioned above are related to each other. Ralph is software development for Rosetta. However, it's my understanding that Rosetta is also development work for WCG. It's as if Ralph is Alpha, Rosetta is Beta, and WCG is the released production software. So if you're interested in Rosetta, you should run WCG as well. If you want to improve Rosetta and WCG, you should run a little Ralph too. (I'm not an expert on these three projects, so please correct me if I'm wrong...)
#ni-1

The reason I termed it 'surrender' is because a number of folks here, in the past, have made pitches for pet project to share time on my machines. I've been a steadfast supporter of Einstein@home and have never been disappointed (pissed, maybe but never disappointed...)

So, Einstein is now running like a SETI Classic retread and I'm going to find additional projects to keep my machines happily crunching.

Not defeated, just humbled...

Wink

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosetta is intended to improve the predictions of protein structure, etc. WCG uses a stable proven rosetta version for scientific research into diseases, etc. Which is why you'll see the rosetta version on WCG is differnt than the one currently running on Rosetta@Home.

They are both quite valuable projects.

As far as Warhawk's problems with running it, I couldn't speculate as I don't use the grid software. Just put www.worldcommunitygrid.org into your BOINC manager and let it handle it from there is my suggestion.

For credits, that is only an issue if you're looking at the combined BOINC totals and you run WCG through BOINC rather than Grid. They've already adjusted the BOINC side of the credit equation up and might even do it again at some point. Comparing on DC stats, etc. we are competing per project so amount of credits compared to another project is quite irrelevent.

It's by far my personal preference (WCG) as they offer a platform for scientific humanitarian projects that do not have the resources to mount their own @home. All projects are thoroughly tested and verifed before being released. What more could you ask for?

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: