KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost My Cache!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Lost My Cache! Reply with quote

Not as bad as losing cash I suppose, bit pretty upsetting nonetheless. My computer crashed for stupid Windoze BS, and when I finally got it to reboot properly, all my WUs were gone. I didn't have to reattach to my projects, but BOINC treated my PC like a new host on all of them. I am bummed, had a lot of work in progress. Crying or Very sad Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened? I have crashed before and had to revert to an earlier checkpoint, but it's never dumped all its WUs.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was in the middle of writing any number of files in the BOINC folder, and the write didn't finish when the crash happened, you got the result of what happens.

There are a couple of key files that if corrupt will cause this. One I know is client_state.xml, I believe there might be a couple of others.

Most of us has had this happen. There's not a lot we can do about it.

Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Pooh. I posted this on the Riesel-Sieve boards as well, and their dev had this to say:

bryan wrote:
Atomic -

I saw the reply over at KWSN - I'm not sure there's really anything that can be done for this queue.

I think, however, that BOINC backs-up the client_state.xml file when it makes the new one. If such a crash happened again, try copying the file client_state_prev.xml to another folder, start BOINC, and see if the client works. If it's corrupted, stop BOINC, copy that client_state_prev.xml to client_state.xml, and start BOINC. It should resume from where it was before it crashed, but I can't guarantee that. Just speculation on my part.

Although this was the first time I've experienced this problem, it probably won't be the last, unless of course, it is fixed in a future BOINC version. But if one of you lucky shrubbers beats me to it, and you feel like trying out Bryan's idea, let me know if it works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: