KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about a new PC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Question about a new PC. Reply with quote

I need a new PC to replace this terriable Compag, it is a horriable PC. I am looking at E Machines as they seem to be the most reliable of HP and Compag.

THESE are the ones I'm looking at, specifically T6536.

Help is needed.
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally lady A, I would not touch e-machines with a big brown smelly stick. A friend who runs a local PC repair shop loves them as they are his bread and butter, He gets about 20 a week for the big fix, replacement PSU's etc. I build my own sysytems now, if you have a local branch of tiger direct they have some good value system's, like this one.
http://tinyurl.com/qp82u
dual core d805 only gripe I would have with it is the PSU.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't build a PC, my other machine is a emachine and I've never had a problem. This Compaq is a piece a crap and has been since I bought it last year.

I need something that will fold and run Rosetta and just keep plugging along.
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no building required lady A, check the link a dual core for $10 more it will kick the rse of an AMD 3800 single core big time. In fact the D805 i have kicks the rse out of my X2 3800. They both fold on each core and the d805 wins hands down.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly Spike any repair shop can say they repair one brand more than the other.. For example I use to make my bread and butter fixing HP's and gateway's lately its been Dell's go figure.. My theory is its what ever is selling best becomes your bread and butter not that one or the other is better. As a nice example..

If 99.9% is good enough {mind you these examples are from 1990}
22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank accounts
12 babies will be given to the wrong parents a day
18,322 pieces of mail will be mishandled in the next hour
114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes will be shipped this year
315 entries in the webster dictionary will be misspelled.

But Alpha i have a few family members who have all purchased emachine's now built by gateway and have not had any problems. Even on my scratch built pc's i've lost hardware compenents like a Power Supply, the motherboard etc..
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cohiba, I just need something that I can run F@H and Rosetta. I also use Word and do Wills, POA's, Living Wills and Natural Death. These are all in Word. I use Word Perfect for Deeds and Timeshares. That's about it. That Compaq won't let me do most of that. I believe I will run it down to the PC guys and just let him have a look.

My daughter has a emachine since 1999, slow, but works great still.

How's the baby? #ni-1

Last edited by alpha_fruit on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SPIKE09
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba, i bow to your local knowledge the only E-machines available in Scotland come from ASDA/Walmart and are notoriously flaky, but that could also be said of the people buying them here.As they are Ultra low budget machines.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know i don't know what it is about walmart,sams club, costco, kmart machines do they drop kick them drop them from airplanes or what.. But every machine they sell is junk or ends up having hardware failure.

Also why I tell people to stick with someplace that will back the machine up a little, best buy, circuit city.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:

How's the baby? #ni-1

Haven't had a chance to weigh her lately but i need to setup a vet visit soon so i'll let you know then..
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to Cohiba's recommendations. Now what were they?

In my experience E-machines lose power supplies, HP lose motherboards and power supplies, Compaq have optical drive failures and occasional motherboard, but the main thing is you really do get what you pay for.

Any computer line is going to have problems but the ones that sell at the lowest price points have the flakiest hardware.

If you've got the money have one built to your specifications. Doesn't matter who does it, just choosing parts that aren't bottom of the line will give you more than decent reliability.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power supply is not that big a deal... Never had a PSU take out anything other than itself at least the newer ones. Also its not a very expensive part to replace unlike a motherboard.. A trained monkey can replace a power supply and most replacements are only going to run between $50-100 maybe a little higher if you need a monster 850 watt like i've got for my raid 5 array,4 led case fans, burners, and video card.

all pc hardware is a crap shoot.. Same with a car, i've bough high quality motherboard to have em puke out a week later, bought high quality video cards that a year later stop working, bought high quality sounds cards that have never died.. Same with power supply's bought several high quality and had some die the next day {power problem not psu's fault}, flip side, i've bought some really cheap no name stuff that is still running and running good better than say the brand name HP burner {pieces of crap}
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a computer mostly for F@H and Rosetta then the Gateway DX420b would be the best. I'm a man who HATES companys like Dell and HP, but if you can't built it yourself then that gateway is the cheapest Duo Core 2 computer on the market right now.

If you want something for gaming and stuff get a 1gb of ram with it. but it's stock at 600$(w/o montior) for a machine that process faster then anything. (or at least untill the quadro's come out #ni-1 ) I wouldn't settle for anythign less then a Duo core 2.

And as for the whole which machines are better quality, Dell, Gateway or HP-or any of their sub systems(compaq, emachines, ect.) I'd say their' all abotu the same level of crap and wouldn't worry about whats better quality, jsut go off price to performance ratio. AND BE SURE TO GET A DUO CORE 2 PROCESSOR OR I"LL CALL YOU A NOOB Twisted Evil ( yes they really make a huge diffrence)

X2 3800+ sonic tower + AS paste
2GB of Mushkin HP 2.3.2.6
4x 320 WD hdd Sata2 16mb raid 0
SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teh Grvmm, where you been? I missed seeing you.

I have my Kaspersky working on fixing this stupid Compaq. It is running a lot better, still slow as a snail. I have satellite for my Internet and upgraded to be as fast as or faster than DSL, well I'm still just a little past dialup on this one.

Don't you dare stay away so long from now on, ya hear me??? #ni-1
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed me!......? Shocked Thank you

I lost my high speed internet, and internet for that matter, since the start of school.

I hope my recommendation helps, and also, everyone will agree with me that a duo core 2 is the right decision, BECUASE IF YOU DON"T I"LL KILL ALL HUMANS! "except fry"

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Grvmm wrote:

And as for the whole which machines are better quality, Dell, Gateway or HP-or any of their sub systems(compaq, emachines, ect.) I'd say their' all abotu the same level of crap and wouldn't worry about whats better quality, jsut go off price to performance ratio. AND BE SURE TO GET A DUO CORE 2 PROCESSOR OR I"LL CALL YOU A NOOB Twisted Evil ( yes they really make a huge diffrence)

Not True. Istill have a SONY VAIO that is a P1 166MhZ that is still kiking and doing well and every Dell I've bought is functioning very well. Not one single problem other than a modem out of any of them. (1 SONY and 2 Dell) The only problem out of the Dell is not much upgradeability because Dell manufactures their own motherboards and don't leave much room for a processor upgrade from the model you start with. I customized both of my Dells from the factory and they will put the bare minimum motherboard in to support the processor ordered. Also their BIOS will work properly only with their motherboards from my experiance.
In all, You get what you pay for in a commercial system. If you pay the bucks.

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you are right about them haveing their own speically made parts, like the mobo, they pretty much all do that., it's gay. Unless you buy their over priced "High-end machines".

Thats why I hate buying computer like that, just make my own. But if you going to buy one I'm jsut saing that you shouldn't worry so much on the brand as much as the performance/price ratio, get the most bang for your buck. They all are going to have their flaws, and noones really going to be able to tell what they are before you buy then, luck of the draw, maybe a powersupply will go, maybe not. But I'd say from all the computers I've seen and owned from dell gateway and hp, their's no consisteny with them Wink

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: