KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech News @ SETI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Tech News @ SETI Reply with quote

Copied from Technical News page @ SETI.

July 26, 2006 - 23:00 UTC
Late last week a power fault crashed our science database. One of the RAID mirrors failed, but ultimately we were able to got all the failed drives re-synced and back online without too much trouble.

Nevertheless, we are anxious to get a new science database server, both for speed and reliability. Sun recently donated a Thumper (X4500) system to us to beta test and potentially use as a database server. We are in the process of configuring this system, which has two dual-core opterons, 8 GB of RAM, and is half full with 24 500GB SATA drives (12 TB total). The science database itself only needs about 1 TB - the remaining space may be used for temporary tape image storage, as the new data recorder (science newsletter coming soon) records up to 300GB a day.
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Pooh Bear 27. New free server eh? Very good.

#ni-1
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, especially when the x4500 costs $33,000! It is quite the machine. Attention Sun: I would gladly be willing to "beta test" anything you send me Smile
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
Yeah, especially when the x4500 costs $33,000! It is quite the machine. Attention Sun: I would gladly be willing to "beta test" anything you send me Smile

Pah!

we use a couple of these
http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire_e25k/index.jsp
Shocked Shocked

and 18 of these!
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v440/index.xml

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

plus four of these
http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/sunfirev1280/index.xml

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
and a couple of 15k's as well! (soon to be replaced with a couple of 25k's!!!)

Shocked Shocked

shame I can't put seti on them Laughing Laughing and we don't get 'em free either Confused Confused

the question is what for!!!!

answers on a post card, if I told you i'd have to shoot you. #2gunfire

#ni-1

A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:

It was nice of them to give this to SETI. It's quite expensive, but for a huge company like Sun, it won't hurt their pocket. Uh, I just hope it's stable. Very Happy

Hehehe... Sun: Dear MacG, Thank you for taking interest in our wonderful server products. To show you our appreciation, we would like to give you one of our Sun Fire E6900 servers for free. Shocked Shocked Shocked Surprised

#ni-1
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/C wrote:

Hehehe... Sun: Dear MacG, Thank you for taking interest in our wonderful server products. To show you our appreciation, we would like to give you one of our Sun Fire E6900 servers for free. Shocked Shocked Shocked Surprised

#ni-1

I'd love to know what we're boing to be doing with those 15k's Very Happy Very Happy , plus our dev and test enviroments are going to be upgraed from 480's to the new 490 sparc4 dually's.

Big Kudos to sun here, if you take a look at the big projects they all seem to run Sun kit at least for their db's..... It's nice to see Sun step up to acknowledge that, and help out the biggest and nost underfunded DC project out there...............

#ni-1 #ni-1

A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to hear that Setiathome is the most uderfunded boinc project Sir Brian. I always thought that it had much more funding than the other boinc projects. Surprised

#ni-1
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/C

Seti is definately underfunded, the main reasons that there' been so many outages is that theserver hardware they use is old and so fails regually, which is why it's nice to see sun step up with new kit.

Most of the other projects Folding, rosetta, einstein etc are university led researh programs. whereas Seti after loosing its government funding has been a self funding project

here's a letter that was distributed earlier this yer tht explains the funding issues

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/donor_letter.php

#ni-1 #ni-1

A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for pointing that out. I always figured that SETI was getting enough university funding to keep the project going. Berkeley University should provide the SETI@home project with more funds in my opinion. I mean, they would get some credit if a signal was found. Smile

#ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: