KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Optimized SETI@Home apps available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: New Optimized SETI@Home apps available Reply with quote

#ni-1

Following serious forum altercations, Crunch3r, who offered optimized apps before, left and there were no new S@H apps for PC publicly available anymore.

That just didn't sit too well with a lot of folks, me among them.

Now for the good news: there are optimized S@H apps available to everyone again!

The better news: the apps all include text like the following:

Code:

Optimized Windows SETI@Home Enhanced application
Version info: Windows SSE2 32-bit V5.15 'Chicken Good!' (R-1.3|+freq|xW)
Compiled by Simon Zadra (KWSN - Chicken of Angnor) - Member of the Knights who say Ni! (http://www.kwsn.net)
Download Updates at: http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/

CPU real speed: 3850 MHz

I.e. since I'm a member of the KWSN, I thought "why not promote the team"? All results crunched with my optimized apps have this information.

Since I released these clients, there have been ~4740 downloads (~840 Linux, ~3900 Windows), so I'm hoping we get new members, too.

I've watched team credit increase from ~102k to back over 110K. Obviously, I can't take credit for that, but I hope I helped Smile

My RAC has gone up from ~1600 to ~2670 and is still increasing.

So - if you want to boost your S@H score and help out your team, try one of the following:

Windows apps
Windows test/benchmark tool and auto-installer

SSE Linux apps
SSE2 Linux apps

OS X (not by me, excellent work by Alex Kan)

#ni-1

Especially our top crunchers could benefit greatly - they're now pulling RACs of around 4000-9000 but could very possibly almost double that.

So get to crunching Smile

Regards,
Simon.
Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subliminal advertising! Brilliant! Well done, Sir! Now all you need to do is add a little subroutine of my own:

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as you can see in this thread, it has netted us at least a couple of new members! Good work, I say! I employ similar "tactics" on my stats website. It is open to all to use but if you aren't a member of a team, I display a message urging you to join KWSN Smile

#ni-1
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Optimized SETI@Home apps available Reply with quote

Savant wrote:

The better news: the apps all include text like the following:

Code:

Optimized Windows SETI@Home Enhanced application
Version info: Windows SSE2 32-bit V5.15 'Chicken Good!' (R-1.3|+freq|xW)
Compiled by Simon Zadra (KWSN - Chicken of Angnor) - Member of the Knights who say Ni! (http://www.kwsn.net)
Download Updates at: http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/

CPU real speed: 3850 MHz

Regards,
Simon.

Hi Simon...

I've been using your apps since they come out and I'm very impressed with the performace....

could we even get better with the promotion of KWSN and setup a mirror FTP/http download on stats.kwsn.net katrinashome and/or kwsnforum?. if not how about having prominant links to simons site on our websites....

how about adding the seti join url in the stdout ??

just an idea or too

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe jonnyv offered a mirror on www.kwsn.net and that offer stands if needed but that is up to you (Simon). I don't really care one way or the other where the files are hosted/mirrored. I don't think people really pay THAT much attention to the actual download URL of the files.

Hoever we should definitely have links from www.kwsn.net and possibly somewhere on my stats site. www.kwsn.net actually hasn't been updated in quite a while. The last modifications were made by AthlonRob quite a while ago and he is rather busy with "life" now. (there is a female involved)

So in short, we could use a web design/content person. jonnyv does an excellent job of administrating the server, keeping the software up to date and tweaking things as needed. I do my stats and database administration/tuning. So we have the backend stuff covered but neither one of us is much of a web designer. Quite frankly, CSS gives me headaches. Just look at my stats... I have some good data but I will be the first one to say that the design/layout is inconsistent and kind of drab. So if anyone has a brilliant idea for the team website... speak up! Smile
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
So if anyone has a brilliant idea for the team website... speak up! Smile

Idea How about the banner graphic that was created using our pictures in the aromor? #ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
So if anyone has a brilliant idea for the team website... speak up! Smile

MacG

how about changing the fi_newsfader_user_logged_in.js file on the forum to

Code:

// Variables for news items
var defaultNews = 'Welcome to the KWSN Orbiting Fortress';
var newsContent = [
  'Welcome to our new Dell PE1850',
  'MacG has some <a href="http://stats.kwsn.net/">BOINC Stats</a>. Check the new, sexy URL.',
  'Want to be in the KWSN Member Gallery\? See the <a href="http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4997">thread</a> about it.',
  'Next time on As the Ni! Turns: Wabbit says he is carrying Mildew\'s baby\?\?\? ',
  'I only report what I hear.',
  'These won\'t always be funny. We might have actual announcements here.',
  'Ni!',
  'Download the Latest KWSN SETI optimised Apps From Simon Zadra (Chicken of Angnor) <a href="http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/">click here</a>'
];

PS I've taken a look at the bbs code and found a way of cutting out 9k from every hit tot the site!

I'll send you a PM on what to do if your interested. should save a lot of bandwidth and improve page load performance

jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a modified version of your newsfader suggestions. As for the 9K, let me guess.....pull the CSS into an external file?
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyv wrote:
I've added a modified version of your newsfader suggestions. As for the 9K, let me guess.....pull the CSS into an external file?

yep!

Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

yes, there have been mirror offers, which I will gladly take up.

I've just been swamped lately and haven't had time to take care of business Wink

In the next few days, I'll try and change that, will get in contact with site admins.

BTW, I'm a PHP/HTML/CSS person, so maybe I can help in that regard, too. We shall see Wink

Regards,
Simon.
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Optimized SETI@Home apps available Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

Hi Simon...

I've been using your apps since they come out and I'm very impressed with the performace....

could we even get better with the promotion of KWSN and setup a mirror FTP/http download on stats.kwsn.net katrinashome and/or kwsnforum?. if not how about having prominant links to simons site on our websites....

how about adding the seti join url in the stdout ??

just an idea or too

Good idea, actually.

Having the S@H join URL in there can't hurt. Like posted above, I'll be getting in touch with all you guys in the very near future (this weekend, probably).

I'm still interested in mirrors and links back and forth, no problem there - and I'm sure I could do some css tuning for the main team site without too much trouble.

Will keep you posted Smile
Simon.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
jonnyv wrote:

yep!

Done! And added black option in the process.
Grey M@a
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just nabbed the optimised seti files and its working a treat Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: