KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimised Einstein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Optimised Einstein Reply with quote

I thought that there was a optimised Einstien application. does anyone know where they are. I just Borged a new comp and I want it set up right.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE:

Akos has requested that we stop using patched applications.

If you have been using applications patched using any of the patch files released by Akos over the last few days, you should, as quickly as possible, disable the patched app and restore the standard app. How you do this will vary depending on your circumstances and whether or not you were using the anonymous platform mechanism (app_info.xml).

I don't believe that it's really necessary to trash your entire cache, particularly if you were just using the patched version 4.02. However if you were using 4.10 and app_info.xml, things are a bit more tricky. If you are prepared to assume full responsibility yourself, you could suspend EAH, abort the current result and edit client_state.xml to allocate your remaining 4.10 results back to 4.02. These are not the only things you would need to do but I'm assuming people should be able to figure out the basics like setting no new work and stopping and starting BOINC, etc, at the appropriate times.

In both cases, you would need to put back the stock 4.02 app in place before restarting BOINC. I suspect that if you don't have the stock app already there, BOINC will notice and will trash the current work, then download a fresh copy of the app and then download new work. So I suspect you will waste your current work anyway if you don't have the app there, in place, first. You did keep a copy of the pristine stock app, right?? Smile.

As a personal comment, people need to understand the rigorous nature of the scientific methodology. If you are going to present ground breaking discoveries supported by mathematical analysis of carefully gathered data, you really need to be 200% confident in exactly what mathematical analysis was done, exactly how it was done, and precisely what checks and balances were in place to guarantee against any possibility whatsoever of spurious results. If you aren't able to fully account for all the details of how you arrived at your answers, peer group review will simply throw your results out the window. And then you could really complain about energy wastage!!

Some really silly things are being said. We should all take a huge chill pill and wait for those in charge of the project and its science outcomes to advise us of how best to proceed from here. In the meantime, fix your computers and keep crunching. Just keep in mind that you are still crunching approx 3.5 times faster than you were 6 months ago. Project staff have always said that they expect further speedups to come after further work to refine the app. We just have to learn to be patient.

This Looks Kinda important Mabey
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have already discussed this in the BOINC part of the forum.

Ni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: