KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASA TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: NASA TV Reply with quote

I've been watching NASA TV via an online video stream from nasa for the past few days during the shuttle mission. Right now I'm watching an austronaut on a space walk, bouncing up and down on the shuttle's robotic arm trying to determine if it is a stable work platform for repairing damaged tiles or not. Full video is only available while they are in range of of the KU-band (high bandwidth) communications equipment. Other times they have sequential still pictures that update every 5 seconds or so or computer generated simulations of the current position of all the fiddly bits.

Of course the crew is on UTC so they wake up at 2 AM my time (Central US) and do most of their work in the morning. While they are asleep they play recordings of the previous day's highlights as well as overviews of activities planned for the next day. There are briefings, technobabble and orbital display maps. Fun for all!

Anyway, you can watch it at http://www.nasa.gov.

I also extracted the actual stream URL from that page so I can watch it directly in a media player. Sometimes I set the player to be "always on top" so I can watch it as I do other things as I'm doing now. The URL for the windows media player stream is:
http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx
although there are others for a quicktime stream and a real player stream.

Maybe I'm just a nerd but I like watching it every once in a while. Maybe there are some other loonies who will enjoy it too!
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: NASA TV Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
Maybe I'm just a nerd but I like watching it every once in a while. Maybe there are some other loonies who will enjoy it too!

I guess I am a nerd too. Very Happy Thanks for sharing the link.

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

Sir Robin
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed these notes on NASA TV, and I too must admit that I watch it periodically. The quality of the images is quite outstanding. The video technology has come such a long way since they filmed the moon landing in that old warehouse.............

Ni!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: