KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Predictor @ Home - Help fix this project...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw something about needing 1Gb per work unit, i.e. if you have a dual core and are crunching two, 2Gb memory is needed. I only have 512K, so it may be quite a while before this one finishes. Shocked I may have to set Predictor back to "accept no new work" 'til this settles down...

I kinda like the idea of hitting the protein folding challenge from multiple angles by crunching F@H, Rosetta, WCG, and Predictor plus a little Ralph for good measure...
#ni-2
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Proetins and SIMAP.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and Docking.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Predictor is broke again! They are starting to ban people, and now their IPs! Just for telling the truth about the one guy who was giving a Windows Update that automatically installed BOINC on hundreds of machines without the owners knowing. The admins at Predictor refuse to listen, and now are banning anyone mentioning cheating, etc.

Read SETI, Einstein and CPDN (probably others but these are the only 3 I read) and people are trying to get people to STOP crunching Predictor.

I knew Predictor loved to ban, just to ban people, when they Banned Paul for trying to help them, and get information for the WIKI, and when they banned me just for stating truth about things.

The Admins actually told people that they would note remove that cheater's account, and to stop spreading Internet lies. They do not even check the story with other projects, before blowing off their mouth.

I stated I would never go back, and now I have even more of a reason not to.

Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through some data for Predictor, and noticed that the person who hijacked computers to get more credits in various projects is still active on Predictor and only Predictor. Every other project has stopped accepting his data and has deleted his credits.
If you want to look at the BOINC stats for that person (named Wate):
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_graph.php?pr=bo&id=873722

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
Acmefrog
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all!

I just wanted to let you all know that what Pooh Bear said was correct---Predictor has started to not only ban people but are also now deleting accounts of people who wanted something done about the user who secretly d/l BOINC on other people's computers. I am one of the one who have been deleted. My only offense was to show my support of the people who were banned for just asking questions. I will admit that there were a couple of people who probably crossed the line. But many others just wanted the admin to do something about this guy. I was never banned or warned that I did anything objectionable. I was deleted by association. Even after I was wiped, I did not receive any reason why this happened. The admin has even labeled everyone who he deleted as "malicious hackers" and "bad apples". I have never seen a project that cared so little for the people who are helping them. If you want to learn more check out many of the other BOINC project's forums (you will barely find any reference to what happened at Predictor since once an account was wiped, the posts were deleted as well). Feel free to read the forums at BOINC Synergy or BOINC.BE as well.

As you can guess this has really irked me. I wanted to stop by and let you all know what has been happening and to inform you. A lot of people have left Predictor (one way or another) because of the treatment that they have received. Maybe if enough people stopped crunching, they might change their ways. Whether any of you decide to or not is your choice. But I thought you should know.

Thanks for letting me rant like this.

And keep a sharp eye out for those vorpal bunnies Very Happy
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Acme,

I've marked Predictor as a bad project in our project list, and have avoided it myself. I don't think this is the kind of thing a project can recover from without expunging the entire administration, and maybe not even then.

As you can see, P@H looks pretty dead now anyways, if credit/day is any indicator. BOINCStats shows 55,000 users with only 6,000 active.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of changing ISPs as I recently re-located, and have a new email address. I attached to grab a unit and migrate my totals over to the new acct key that such changes generate.

The project looks dead, as there's no work, and this thread on their own message boards suggests many an unhappy cruncher is there. Indication has been made that DC Vault will have to de-list them...

http://predictor.chem.lsa.umich.edu/forum_thread.php?id=2715

Basically they're saying to prevent people from stealing teams credits, they've disabled stats exports altogether. So sights like DC Vault can't get stats updates anymore. While teams might not enjoy having their credits ninja'd, what this move was said to address; it does cause some overall problems for said users and teams.... Their totals are no longer accessible.

It's a mote point though, given that work appears generally dead. It more affects people such as myself who would like their totals to go with them. Hell, if I didn't run into this in trying to find when there would be work to just migrate my totals; I wouldn't have even remembered much of why I detatched in the first place; though it woulda been a more 1 unit to update totals. I have a lot of projects now, and 1 puter to do them all :d

Not withstanding that some people, such as this really good friend of mine I had met in late 2006 (well I knew him by name Gilthanas, as we played WoW together) thinks I have a perfect memory; I really do not. I can remember experiences and what not somewhat like photographic memory, but there are many things (names for instance) that I don't tend to be good at remembering. But one thing I'm rather lousy at remembering which is to Predictor's benefit is wrong doings on the part of people I might encounter (though in my case it was more observations then something directly related to me). To put it blunt, in general I don't really care to, and I had quite litterally forgot what I had previously observed and posted here on it.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this project is probably DOA. If you look at the TEAM stats. The highest RAC is 0.15. For a team. The server stat page comes up as white space and there is no recent news except a post about going up and down at the beginning of July as they move into new office space. It might have finally died.

There are a bunch of other projects that crunch protiens. Maybe the effort could be relocated there.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: