KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimized Einstein s5 apps out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Optimized Einstein s5 apps out Reply with quote

Akosf, working in collaboration with crunch3r (I'm gathering) has been turning out optimized einstein apps for the s5 data set. #ni-1

A main thread for downloads can be found here

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4425

With some discussion here:

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4409

The second thread has a newer patch for the thing, though unless one gets "patched app", one might need to patch the app themself, following these directions:

Quote:
1. Make a safe backup copy of your einstein app.

2. Either download an already patched app or download the tools (patcher.com, S5Txxxx.dat or S5Sxxxx.dat).

3. Completely stop BOINC and verify stopped.

Either
4a. Replace your working app with a downloaded already patched version,

Or
4b. Place the downloaded tools into the folder where your unpatched working app resides,

And
4c. Using a DOS box (Cmd shell) in that folder, run the command patcher S5Txxxx.dat or patcher S5Sxxxx.dat as appropriate (Test or Stable patch).

Note: Make sure that the patcher, the .dat file and the einstein .exe are all in the same directory and your DOS prompt shows that directory - see this post and those immediately preceeding it for some possible gotchas.

The lattest version doesn't seem to have an already patched app as of this post Wink
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Things are getting a little comlpicated Reply with quote

If you're intending to do this, and don't want to continually moitor prgress, it's better to use the S5Sxxxx.dat patches as they are considererd to be stable,

This is really a alpha project using real science data and can be quite risky, if you get a patch that causes errors, which has alredy happened.

also they want us to rename the app executable

akosf wrote:
Bernd told me some things.

He would like that we use the 4.10 version number for patched files, so you should rename your files and built an app_info.xml file in the future. The next patches will search einstein_S5R1_4.10_windows_intelx86.exe in their directory.

The other thing is that the validator doesn't drop out those results that have only a small difference in the values, like as S4 validation. So, there is possible to built ( a bit ) faster codes!

and don't want us to switch versions in mid crunch http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4248

there is a example app_info.xml but this only works with new wu's and not existing ones in your cache.

Things are getting a little comlpicated

#ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, was gonna mention the name change for the thing.

For myself, am grabbing the test version, but then again being that I'm already running on Vista beta, kinda hard to get anymore testy then that #ni-1

S in the .dat name does stand for stable, whereas the other is test however... If you don't want to run the risk of something blowing up on a unit, get the s5s... and not the s5t...
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there were some problems with the patched apps thathave cause d some errors in the science database. Because of this Akos and the Einstein team have asked us to STOP using the patched apps untill further notice...

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4425

Please STOP using any patched app, they're damaging the scientific credibility of the project

#ni-1 #ni-1

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what patched apps mean.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the quaint little village at the foot of the alps where you and Mildew first, umm, I'm sorry. I'm such a gossip.

Nothing to see here, move along.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerrabbit wrote:
I have no idea what patched apps mean.

Ni

it was a way of turning a stock app into an optimised app........ but the problem was that the optmised techniques weren't approved by the scientists and so any shrub's produced using a patched app are deemed suspect....

we have a saying at work

Don't test in production(live system) with production data (real data). unfortunately, that rule's been broken......

#ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the idea that there really weren't bad results that resulted from the patch; but that it was more a matter of politics and formality on the part of some people. Hell, I s'pose not even Bruce Allen was really the one who give the thumbs down on apps not called official, but he probably got the bit from some other people; which is why talk of changing the version number came before they got pulled.

The bad side is that people like Akosf are now left with a situation where crunching the s5 results on the stock app is a no go; given the age of their computers and the difficulty it would pose crunching within deadlines, or there was some reason for Akosf stating he couldn't run these units on the stock client, though he'd like to and does believe in the science behind the project.

A simple solution would be to open up an official beta app or project, and place Akosf (who as I understand has been helping out E@H in an official capacity now) as lead developer of the programming team for it. It can then be developed there, called official, as the signoff is given for it's development. But haven't heard this is what's going to happen now.

In the interum, it would allow this to be developed as an official alpha or beta (be it on the Einstein project, or in a project much similar to RALPH for instance), and in having Akosf head up the app development, would give the other devs a chance to not only benefit from his skill there wrt the project, but also to learn some new skills which could help them as they move forward in whatever their endeavors might become...
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problem" is with the scientific peer review process.

The peers a probably competitor's of Bruce in trying to discover Gravitational waves themselves.

The issue was that the analysis techniques used, in this case the einstein app code, was peer reviewed and accepted by Bruce's peer scientist's, once Akos started tweaking the code, and to be brutally honest in a rather uncontrolled way by using us as testers with real live data, the peers could have said that bruce was not consistent in his technique that was accepted by them, thus his results are invalid......

Bruce didn't want to put the project in that position, I feel really sorry for Akos, he must be gutted and possibly a little embarrased.

Scientists can be quite bitchy and egotistical, and other scientists working on the same gravitational wave stuff, could have used this against Bruce and his team...

That's life I suppose, and a big learning experience for everyone concerned.....

#ni-1 #ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it was Bruce himself, and I do know the political wrangling that goes on in a university. I've had admins teach classes, where they get tired and are ready to pull their hair out sometimes. The call to CIRT "help, help...but it better be this, this, and this way". The problem at UNM in part is every department and even office in some cases, has it's own server, run by those who really have no knowledge in such things, they want to control everything, but have no administrators of their own. And the sec something they want to do doesn't work, they b**ch and moan, but still insist on everything being the non-functional way.

Then there was the not so lovely time that in going to change majors/colleges within the university, the dean's office wanted transcripts from admissions. Admissions promptly told me to go to the deans and I quote

Quote:
Tell those lazy bums it's on the computer, and to go get it themself.

Like I'm supposed to go marching in a dean's office and say something like that #Rofl So sheepishly, I walked in and said "umm they told me X", while trying not to say it myself. Anyhow, I guess it had happened before, as the dean's office was like "oh, is that what they said again? Yeah, we've had this out with them before. We'll take care of it..."

I've seen worse.

And in reality, if the results are the same and validate and all, then it should be accepted, else the validator isn't doing what is wanted in assuring the results wanted #ni-1 In this sense, loosening it up isn't the answer, but clearly defining what is wanted/needed, and then implementing that which will provide just that. In that sense, if one's facing a real world problem, it's also possible to fix/address that. However politics, is another matter entirely...

From all I can se, it's one of those, technically and on a real world basis it worked. But politically... And tbh, I hate politics, and really have no "love affair" for the whole PR industry, whatsoever #ni-1 tbh, it was once my major, where I was studying law and what not besides... I had my fill with political games, how people's lives can be sacrificed for "political convenience", a term I would rather not hear again so long as I shall live, and much else I was studying. The "politics of public opnion" class, was more like psychology of mass control (and yes it went well beyond just studying and assesing public opinion and into how to influence/change it when "it's suited"; and I got one hell of a case of mental indigestion leaving that class each and every single class period, and was rather too manipulative for my tastes Surprised

I finished out the semester, but changed majors and left it rather in disgust. Seems almost a lifetime ago now Very Happy
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIA Kanniggit Sir Fart buzzes the forum, reads the previous post, shakes his pointy head, screams , and flys off for parts unknown Cool .

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a good stable optimized app for the S5's for windows P4 SSE3.
Last I saw the "patched" ones were not so good and we were being asked to not use them.

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard says not to use them.

They are having a hard time going through the database to clean this up. The quicker we stop using them, the faster they can work on better optimizations.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
Bernard says not to use them.

They are having a hard time going through the database to clean this up. The quicker we stop using them, the faster they can work on better optimizations.

So the answer is no for now?

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct the answer is no for now.

Ni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: