KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimised App For Linux?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IcaBoD
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Optimised App For Linux? Reply with quote

does anyone have the optimized files for linux?

Friend Of Bill W.
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking in these sites:

http://www.pperry.f2s.com/downloads.htm

http://www.mkx.si/boinc/

#ni-1
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those sites only have pre-enhanced clients so if you install them you won't get any work. As of right now I don't know of any optimized seti_enhanced clients but I do believe some people are working on them. Crunch3r had one but he left seti after being accused of cheating by another member and took his optimized clients with him.

EDIT: I actually took a look at the massive thread that talks about a new optimized client over on the seti@home message boards that I had been avoiding. It seems one of our very own, KWSN - Chicken of Angnor has stepped up to the plate and is spearheading the development of a new optimized client. A hearty
#ni-1

Here is a link to a post near the end that is of interest if you don't want to read all 250 posts.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=31655#338846
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... yeah, it seems that an optimized client for SETI@home enhanced isn't available anywhere. I figured that they might come out with one sooner or later at at least one of those sites.

It's great to hear that Chicken of Angnor is working on an optimized enhanced version MacG. If successful, it would help shorten the processing times, and that's good. I wish him luck.

#ni-2
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Optimized Linux SSE2 client available Reply with quote

Hi guys,

that would be me you're talking about (KWSN - Chicken of Angnor), and I don't do the Mac G4/G5 optimized apps, that's Alex Kan.

I did however just release an SSE2-optimized Linux Seti@Home client which is available for download here.

This is a direct download link, please post how it worked for you Cool

Ni!

Two hosts using this client to crunch:

Pentium-D 805 (2.66 GHz)
Athlon64 3500+ (2.2 GHz)

Both are running Debian Sarge.

Bring us more shrubberies, we're already done with these #ni-1

Should give your RAC a nice boost, IcaBoD! So you can keep on beating me Twisted Evil

Toby is already running it and his host is here.

Regards,
Simon.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimized Linux SSE2 client available Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
Hi guys,

that would be me you're talking about (KWSN - Chicken of Angnor), and I don't do the Mac G4/G5 optimized apps, that's Alex Kan.

I did however just release an SSE2-optimized Linux Seti@Home client which is available for download here.

This is a direct download link, please post how it worked for you Cool

Ni!

Two hosts using this client to crunch:

Pentium-D 805 (2.66 GHz)
Athlon64 3500+ (2.2 GHz)

Both are running Debian Sarge.

Bring us more shrubberies, we're already done with these #ni-1

Should give your RAC a nice boost, IcaBoD! So you can keep on beating me Twisted Evil

Toby is already running it and his host is here.

Regards,
Simon.

Mac, you been holding out?

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU

Last edited by KWSN imcrazynow on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Holding out? Reply with quote

No,

Mac applications are made by Alex Kan, not me!

Go here for Mac G4/G5 optimized clients.

The ones I posted before are for Linux SSE2, as written Wink

#ni-2
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding out? Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
No,

Mac applications are made by Alex Kan, not me!

Go here for Mac G4/G5 optimized clients.

The ones I posted before are for Linux SSE2, as written Wink

#ni-2

Sorry Savant,I put my question in the wrong spot. It was directed to Mac not about Mac. Confused It's been edited to be correct now. #ni-1

4870 GPU
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding out? Nah, I just saw that a public release had finally been made right at the end of the work day. I downloaded it quick and got it running before I headed home. So far it looks rather promising. A couple of work units that had estimated completion times of 7.5 hours actually took about 4.3 hours. Of course since I was the first one to return the results, I will have to wait for validation but it looks like things have been tested fairly well so I don't see any problems on that front.

Thanks again for your efforts Savant. I am also in agreement with you that it would be awesome if we could get Intel to give Berkeley a license for their tools so that everyone could run optimized apps. Of course then the playing field would be leveled for everyone again and some of the credit mongers would probably get upset again but oh well. You just can't make everyone happy. Rolling Eyes

#ni-1
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Gotcha :) Reply with quote

Oops, totally missed that Shocked (him meaning you not clients for Mac)
My bad.

Thanks for all the friendly words, and no, you can't ever make everyone happy. Indeed, what I'd like most is if everyone got enhanced clients BUT the multiplier gets adjusted downwards so normalizing credit across projects works (Eric Korpela is hard at work trying to figure out a fair credit scheme, and we've already come far in that regard anyway).

So that would really p*ss off big number crunchers, maybe, but be good for the project as a whole. I do like my credits, but it's not as if they're really important...shouldn't lose sight of the real goal of SETI@Home or take ourselves too seriously.

A big #ni-1 to you all Cool
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a big victory for KWSN and SETI, in general.

I have 3 hosts using Savant's (KWSN - CoA) SETI app for Linux. This should be a terrific marketing tool for us Knights! The more we use it and spread the word the more Knights we shall have. Provided they are sufficiently silly, of course.

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a Linux optimized app, so sorry can't help there. But I actually do still have crunch3r's app on my HDD, along with an updated XML file which will allow it to still work with the newer WUs #ni-1
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Goku wrote:
Don't have a Linux optimized app, so sorry can't help there. But I actually do still have crunch3r's app on my HDD, along with an updated XML file which will allow it to still work with the newer WUs #ni-1

A word of caution....

Now according to the GPL, it's OK for you to have and use Crunch3rs app on your hard disk, however if you were to distribute it, anyone could legally ask you for the source code, within the next three years, which I doubt you have Wink and if you can't provide the source code they can sue you under the GPL......

So when Cruch3r deleted his source code and exectualbles off of his HDD and Website, he effectively stopped the legal distribution of his code.......

Hint

Don't be too obvious Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil about shared Cruch3rs app!

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1

KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, one could technically rent Son Goku some space on their hard drives for a rediculously low fee and what he chose to store in that space would be his own business. I really don't see any problem at all with having multiple backups in various locations for security reasons.Twisted Evil #ni-1

4870 GPU
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
You know, one could technically rent Son Goku some space on their hard drives for a rediculously low fee and what he chose to store in that space would be his own business. I really don't see any problem at all with having multiple backups in various locations for security reasons.Twisted Evil #ni-1

Ahh! the old "off-site back-up" with dodgy security wheeze !!!!!! haven't heard that one for a while!

Wink Wink Wink Wink

#ni-1

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... I'm confused. Why are we still talking about crunch3r's app when we have a new one which is actually slightly faster than crunch3r's (I think)? Or are you talking about an optimized windows app?
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
err... I'm confused. Why are we still talking about crunch3r's app when we have a new one which is actually slightly faster than crunch3r's (I think)? Or are you talking about an optimized windows app?

I hope so, I need a new on for the S5's. Waiting now to see what works and is validating and stable.

4870 GPU
Savant
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javapersona wrote:
This has been a big victory for KWSN and SETI, in general.

I have 3 hosts using Savant's (KWSN - CoA) SETI app for Linux. This should be a terrific marketing tool for us Knights! The more we use it and spread the word the more Knights we shall have. Provided they are sufficiently silly, of course.

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2

Ni!
You know, that's a pretty good idea. I've got a silly walk I'd like to get funding for, too... Cool

Don't let seti.usa grab all the publicity now, the WSJ ran a story on them already...

kevint (seti.usa guy) seems to have bought a compiler/library license to produce his own optimized apps for windows, but has so far not reacted to me asking whether he wants to release anything to the public, so I'm not holding my breath for them playing nice and sharing.

I'm reasonably sure he's using my instructions to do so, too, but oh well Smile "Go Team USA!"...yeah right. I'm a bit disappointed in their ethics.

So anyway, my threads with the How-Tos have been stickied on the Seti forums, so it can't have been that wrong to put them online Twisted Evil
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:

As I said, I don't have any Linux SETI apps, as I never set SETI up on my Linux partition #ni-1

And well, crunch3r couldn't really sue me himself, as having any sorta copyright he can claim under the GPL for himself. As to someone else, they'd have to be a d*ck to do that, knowing full well what's up.

But then again, it wouldn't be the first time. And in that it's long in the past, with a now non-existent company I can say. I got some beta win2k drivers for the Voodoo 5 (which was 3dfx's last card before they bankrupted), though I won't say how I got them (actually before the card ever went to public sale), or how the person who gave them to me got them either. But I did find a way to distribute them, without it tracking back to either of us #ni-1 After leaking drivers that weren't publically released in the past, well Very Happy
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now we have both SSE and SSE2 optimized versions for linux. I'm running them on all of my linux machines. So far so good.

http://www.zadra.org/seti_enhanced/index.php?module=Downloads;catd=1

#ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: