KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Einstein S4 almost over!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Einstein S4 almost over!!! Reply with quote

Just noticed this on the Einstein Status page http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/server_status.php

Quote:

Total needed Already done Work still remaining
6,731,410 units 6,130,535 units 600,875 units
100 % 91.074 % 8.926 %
180.9 days 164.8 days 16.1 days (estimated)

Hmm......

I think its time to start "stocking up" on Einstein WU's Cool Cool Cool Cool

Especially with thw 32 WU per day limit Smile Smile

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week it was in the high 80s of %... Wonder if I should suspend CPDN now, and let it do some catch up shrubbing after E@H runs outa work...
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspended CPDN yesterday having had the same thought. I've putting full power of three machines to Einstein for the rest of the week. Then I'm out on vacation, so I don't know if I'll leave my machines on while I'm gone or not.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't also forget is that the S4 search will be the last with AkosF's optimisations as an optimised App. S5 will have his optimisations built in...

no more WU's like this then Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/workunit.php?wuid=8994372

I'm thhe top one Wink Wink Wink Wink

#ni-1

Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni! indeed. This has to be the easiset 4 digit RAC in BOINC history. . . .not that the credits matter, it's about the science, but dang, they do feel good, anyway. . .like I'm doing something with my life. Smile

Akosf's apps are just awesome. I'm glad they brought him on board, though I'll miss the "advantage" his apps give over the standard client on S4.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as they say in England,

Making hay while the sun shines........

The real problem I have is hitting the 32 WU per day limit Shocked . If I get any of the smaller WU's my x2 runs out of work.... so not sure how I can really build up a stock of Wu's, I've just set all my other projects to no new work. & set the cache to 4 days, & jsu Hope I get the bigger WU's....

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting everything to no new work wouldn't work without BOINC studio or something... I can shrub almost 24 WUs in 12 hours on my A64 (almost, because the running time is more like 35 min, then 30 min, and at 1/2 hour the WUs would be (num_hours * 2) #ni-1

I'll run Rosseta and Einstein, and let Rosseta pick up the remainder Very Happy About 2/3 the time share in Einstein should be almost hitting the max with normal sized shrubs on U41-04...
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
Ni! indeed. This has to be the easiset 4 digit RAC in BOINC history. . . . though I'll miss the "advantage" his apps give over the standard client on S4.

you watch... They'll launch S5 all the Uber-shrubbers RAC's willl drop like stones, and they'll start bitching about it. Then some idiot'll acuse AkosF of cheating, He'll get (understandably) upset. and all the Ubershrubbers'll use that as an excuse for a Strike and will threaten to move to Rosetta.....

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I said it here first........

#ni-1

Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Einstein doesn't crumble a la SETI but after spending some time on the SETI boards, I'm convinced there are some very strange (in a bad way) birds in the BOINC community.

As to the daily limits, go figure, my most powerful crucher, a Pentium D, got a load of relatively short WU's and will run out of it's cahce about 12 hours before it can refill. Meanwhile, I borged a P4 here at the office (just for a few days. . .yeah) and it's got a slew of much longer units. I'll be lucky to get through them before I leave for vacation. Ain't that the way it always works.

For powerful machines, you almost have to manage them manually right now. Set the cache low, and if you're fortunate enough to get some bigger shrubs, it might be in your best interest to suspend everything else, increase cache and update. The shrubs often come in similarly-sized groups. You might be able to load up on hundreds of bigger ones without running afoul to the limit.
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more calculations, and with normal sized Einsteins, I could pull an 18 hour 40 minute cache worth in a day... No biggie, Rossetta can use the slack to help with the CASP 7 competition...

And actually, I'm not sure how this will all pan out, because:

- Even the beta app which has some basis off Akosf's app, is still a bit slower then Akosf's optimized app, albeit faster then the stock and incorporating some of it's improvements. But yeah, there's still a reason to use Akosf's u41 on my comp, rather then the E@H beta.

In the next app, will Akosf still be a bit faster (though not as much discrepency as now, due to the continued work on this beta app?), I guess time will tell...

- The people at the Rosseta project have already thought of bringing Akosf on to help optimize their own app. I'd have to double check this, but I think I had read that David Baker had asked him if he would mind helping them with their app.

Akosf could well end up on both projects. And hopefully, someone doesn't have all the non-sense of turning around and accusing him of cheating after he will have helped the project with their own app...
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Hell Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

things have gone pear shaped Shocked Shocked

During Einsteins overnight outage Rosetta kicked in and decided it was going to load four days worth of shurb's on each of my PC's. Now Einstein's backup and running it decided to load 64 WU's on each PC as well. Mad Mad Mad

I now have four PC's in EDF mode crunching Rosetta like there's no tomorrow and a huge backlog of Einstein WU's. Confused Confused Confused Confused Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

plus I stupidly joined SAP on one PC as well. at least I can disable that one without risking any time outs as it doesn't have to report untill April 2007!....... Wink Wink

That'll teach me! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

#ni-1 #ni-1

Warhawk
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!!

I should reach the million mark shortly before S4 is complete!

#ni-1

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm back home IU managed to set the rosetta time to 1 hour per shrub and set the cache to 0.1 day for each pc, that should get rid of the rosetta stuff and allow me to start shrubbing einstin again......

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem is, that .1 day migrates over to Einstein, unless you set the projects in different venues, use a project .xml file (only read about it being possible, didn't explore the specifics on this, so can't help there), or something of the sort Very Happy

Perhaps when the Rossetas get down to 1 WU you might set the time setting back up (else, set it to no new work, run out, then re-adjust the time setting and cache size), and then re-enable Rossetta after the Einsteins are more down to what you want...
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Goku wrote:
Only problem is, that .1 day migrates over to Einstein, unless you set the projects in different venues, use a project .xml file (only read about it being possible, didn't explore the specifics on this, so can't help there), or something of the sort Very Happy

I'd love to work out how you can set the PC to be in different work zones on different projects, that'll definatley stop me getting caught like this again!!

Son Goku wrote:

Perhaps when the Rossetas get down to 1 WU you might set the time setting back up (else, set it to no new work, run out, then re-adjust the time setting and cache size), and then re-enable Rossetta after the Einsteins are more down to what you want...

Yep that happened, I now have managed to get rid most of the rosttea work on the two least affected PC's (that had the most einstein work at the time of thee rosetta flood) by suspending einstein completely.I also sett rosetta not to get any work. Those PC's are now back at a 4 day cahce & pulling in einstein at 64 Wu's a day while clearing the remainder of the Rosetta cache

also pulled off a liitle trick with the PC that really got flooded. SuspenedRosetta and resumed Einstein, the set the PC for a 4 day cahche and downloaded 64 WU's, then re-suspended Einstein and resumed rossetta. I think the PC should be clear of the rosetta work by late tonight when einstein'll be ready for a nother 64 Wu's So I'll get an eistein cache on that one, albeit not how I originally intebded!!!

#Mad #Mad #Mad #Mad

If want to see what this mess looks like

Einstein
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/show_user.php?userid=175974

Rosetta
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/show_user.php?userid=61097

I think I might invest some time into look at Boinview or even BAM after the dust settles........

#ni-1 #ni-1

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis easy, Sir Brian (although it took me a while to suss how it works).
Go to Einstein and add new a new profile (say Work) and set it's contact rate fairly low (say 5 days), leaving everything else the same. Leave Rosetta on the default profile (with a high contact rate, say 0.5 day), then switch your Einstein machines to the Work profile (drop-down box at the bottom). The profiles will propogate through to all your projects as they contact base.
I had a similar problem with LHC and its intermittent work units. I've set Rosetta (Home profile) to a share of 100 and LHC (Work profile) to 500, so when there's no LHC work Rosetta crunches along quite happily, but if and when LHC work arrives I grab 5 days-worth (before it all goes) and that then gets ~80% of CPU time, with Rosetta fading into the background. Any other projects stay on the Default profile, which leaves me with the School profile available to cover any other contingencies.

#ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Dente wrote:
Tis easy, Sir Brian (although it took me a while to suss how it works).
Go to Einstein and add new a new profile (say Work) and set it's contact rate fairly low (say 5 days), leaving everything else the same. Leave Rosetta on the default profile (with a high contact rate, say 0.5 day), then switch your Einstein machines to the Work profile (drop-down box at the bottom). The profiles will propogate through to all your projects as they contact base.

#ni-1

but what I want is rosetta to have a .1 day cache and einstein to have a 5 day cache on the smae machine

Setting the resource share actually affect whow much work gets BUT if the project with the big share runs out of work then as the cache runs out the backup project starts to grab a bigger share of the cache as there total work cache is balanced out. this happend a few nights ago ....

what I want is to set einstein with a big cache and if that run out of work then rosetta picks up the workload but only ever keeps a small cache. the when enstein comes back up its starts to build up a big cache again,

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

#ni-1

Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think can set each machine per project as home, school or work. You can work work settings for Rosetta and home settings for Einstein on the same machine if you want. You just have to go into your profile for each project, select your computers, and select venue for that computer.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
I think can set each machine per project as home, school or work. You can work work settings for Rosetta and home settings for Einstein on the same machine if you want. You just have to go into your profile for each project, select your computers, and select venue for that computer.

I doesn't work like that, try it out, on a multi project machine change the location on one project. now update another project, not the one you just changed. it'll change location

either that or I'm doing something wrong

#ni-1 #ni-1

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only using one machine, so I know it's possible.
Go to your Einstein account, View Computers, click on computer ID, at the bottom is a list box for location. Change this to the appropriate location and update. I think you'll need to do this for each of your computers in turn.
Just leave Rosetta set where it is now, or if you're a real glutton repeat for each machine on Rosetta with a different location to Einstein.

Best of luck.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: