KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Plug for Rosetta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: A Plug for Rosetta Reply with quote

For those whose shrubbers work on Rosetta flavored shrubs, please consider increasing the share of time you devote to that project.

For those who don't do Rosetta at all, please consider attaching to this project.

#ni-1
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while there I was feeling like the lone ranger pimping this project Cool .

#ni-2
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not wish to deal with the buggy Rosetta client.

Ni
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosseta isn't quite so buggy anymore... There was one issue with 5.12 which I and some others had reported in RALPH, about it affecting the performance of our comps (well do to some debugging code it turns out), which they promptly removed for 5.13 the following day. They plan to re-introduce it for testing, after consulting with Rom Walton on making it more optimized.

Those of us on RALPH will probably find out whether it will then introduce sluggishness into our computer systems for doing other tasks or not, before it gets released to Rosseta. Rosseta has come quite a ways since RALPH branched out, and we started testing app improvements over there...
Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhh!!! My machine is running a CASP 7 target! As I understand it, CASP trials are like The All-England Summarise Proust Competition, only for protein prediction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CASP
davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo Son Goku's experience with the Rosetta client.

There was a time, not too long ago, when I was getting errors on nearly two out of three work units. That has all been fixed.

I now get considerably better than 90% success rates.

#ni-1
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time it pissed me off the most is when one of their shrubs got "stuck" and just kept eating up CPU time without ever finishing. It was on a computer here at work I don't look at much during most of the month so I didn't notice it until it had already wasted a couple hundred hours of CPU time. #Mad

Anyway, that problem does seem to be corrected now and I think I saw somewhere that they actually added a check in the code that would abort the work unit if this condition was detected. Right now I'm pushing hard on LHC but then I will go back to doing a few rosetta shrubs.
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
Anyway, that problem does seem to be corrected now and I think I saw somewhere that they actually added a check in the code that would abort the work unit if this condition was detected.

Correct, they fixed the client. I've been running it on three shrubbers for a few months. I started running it after the bad shrubs "incidents" that occurred at the end of last year and haven't had a bad shrub or hung application yet Cool . And since then, they've installed the fix MacG speaks of. I guess before the fix they focussed on pruning the shrubbery better so no bad ones got issued, but if they do, the client now flushes them Cool .

Mr. Snrub wrote:
Oooohhh!!! My machine is running a CASP 7 target! As I understand it, CASP trials are like The All-England Summarise Proust Competition, only for protein prediction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CASP

Ooooooh, most excellent Cool .

I just checked, I'm running (seriously) a CASP6 shrub Confused .

CASP6 was LAST year's competition Mad ? Don't they trust me with new shrubbery Sad ? What am I, a MORON Confused ? Don't answer that Mad ! Am I destined to process re-treads Embarassed ?

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they had been adding several things to deal with this problem. And one of the most recent which got tested on RALPH is the watchdog process which aborts WUs that keep re-starting before they get underway and all. That, and they have for now hard coded a max runtime into the WUs of like 1 day, so at that point the WU will end, one way or the other...

I think they're also (on Rosseta, though not on RALPH), giving credits for bum WUs. Actually, I had 1 or 2 where they seemed to have done that...

MacG wrote:
Anyway, that problem does seem to be corrected now and I think I saw somewhere that they actually added a check in the code that would abort the work unit if this condition was detected. Right now I'm pushing hard on LHC but then I will go back to doing a few rosetta shrubs.

Yeah, lotsa people are taking a run to LHC, now that they have work. Well until our caches run out, and we can't get anymore for awhile that is.
buck
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I'm the only one that is seeing problems of computer hangups, both BOINC and other programs after Ver 5.13 is downloaded?

#ni-1
davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Buck,

I personally have not had any trouble with v5.13, but that doesn't make your difficulties any less real.

Try going to the Rosetta website and posting on their message boards.

I have got helpful responses to most every question or concern I have ever posted, and typically in 24 hours or less.
davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Fart...

Don't despair! With the CASP 7 trials running until August, I'm sure you'll get a crack (poor choice of words Embarassed ) at some of the new WU's.

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davide405 wrote:
Sir Fart...

Don't despair! With the CASP 7 trials running until August, I'm sure you'll get a crack (poor choice of words Embarassed ) at some of the new WU's.

I'm not so sure Sad . I think they have "long bus" servers, and "short bus" servers. I think I'm slated to ride the short bus forever Crying or Very sad .
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosetta can't be that 'buggy', I've been scrubbing against it for months on both Linux, FreeBSD and Win2K - and I'm currently in the top 1000 users (though I've switched to QMC now so will be dropping like a stone I'm sure).

Ni!
Fang

klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given Rosetta prime status on my little computer. Meager shrubs, but shrubs just the same.

Here's the rub. When I first joined I did a search for the team, The Knights Who Say Ni, and the search came up with Knights Who Say Ni, so I joined it. I soon realized that it was not THE Knights Who Say Ni, so I've switched my team. I hope stats will show up soon and stat thingies will correct. (Some still say old team).

Anywho.... I'll go back to lurking....

davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaatu borada nictu!

Lurk no more Razz

There is no such thing as a "meager" shrub, or a meager shrubber.

I've got an old HP Pavillion (600 MHz CPU, a whopping 192M RAM) plugging gamely away.

#ni-1
klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!cto! Just figuring out how to allocate resources to different projects. I think I bit off more than I can chew because I added LHC and I think I should have stuck with just the two, (seti and rosetta), but am feeling guilty about cancelling it.

Also, just updated FRAPPR page included more BOINC and FAH info. Don't forget to add yourselves if you haven't done so already.

I think I'll go check stats boards to see if I show up now. It was the Rosetta board that really threw me, really, knights who say ni vs The Knights Who Say Ni.... pufters....

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing so much Rosseta now, outside the occasional RALPH unit to help them develop the app some more... But for the most part had switched there from predictor@home...

Even though I hadn't had many problems at all on predictor, the number of people mentioning lack of feedback, continual problems, and then nothing has me scratching my head. But the thing, I don't know the inside scoop on, but have a sneaking suspiscion on, was someone's mention of a

Quote:
well respected member of the BOINC community who got banned, for continuing to mention problems with fortran errors

Though know names were given, this is was around the time Paul D. Buck (pretty much the creator of the whole BOINC wicki) announced his departure, and mentioned problems with certain projects, and seemed quite upset... Course, most users weren't happy to see him go, after the time and effort he put into things, which exceded many people's.

I don't know, the person mentioned there was him, however I've got a nagging suspiscion; and one I certainly don't want to go on record with, especially without anything more to go on... If it was, umm, I really have to scratch my head on what transpired there...

Despite the mentions, I've had few problems at predictor myself (though all the abeta units I last crunched turned out to be a waiste); but it's enough to leave me wanting to give my credits elsewhere. In protien folding/apps development like stuff, I now give my credits to Rosseta...
klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Rosetta need a plug because it's leaking?

davide405
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klaatuborada wrote:
Does Rosetta need a plug because it's leaking?

<Insert emoticon of big fat RAZZberry here Razz >
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: