KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOINC Mgr won't connect to Client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: BOINC Mgr won't connect to Client Reply with quote

I'm feeling just full of questions this week.

BOINC suddenly stopped working on my laptop. The manager prepetually says that it can't connect to the client. There haven't been any firewall changes that I'm aware of. I've reinstalled as both service and user to no avail. Any suggestions?
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem like that when I first tried to start BOINCing.

On the help forum at the BOINC site, I found a thread that described a solution that worked for me:

Shut down BOINC manager.

Go into the folder that has the BOINC manager executable file. Find the file (a very small one) that has a name like <gui_rpc_auth>. Open this file in notepad. The string of gobbledeygook you see there is a password. Change the password to something of your liking.

Launch BOINC manager. Manually connect to a host using the <File> menu and choosing the <Select computer...> option. In the dialog box that follows, enter the new password you just created in the step above.

This process got me up and running in BOINC. I wish you similar success.

#ni-2 #ni-1 Idea
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found the file and changed the password but still didn't have any luck. Then I realized that the BOINC folder stays behind in Program Files even when the program is uninstalled. I deleted the folder, reinstalled and viola, I'm back to work.

Unfortunately, I've lost a whole lotta work in the mean time. My biggest producer somehow got a corrupted version of Seti Enhanced and errored out a several day cache. I fixed it, but of course BOINC now limits that machine to 2WU/day while it proves itself worth of crunching. Another big machines errored out on a CPDN WU and I had it set to NNW so it wasn't getting much credit either. Take all that and a laptop that just simply stopped connecting to itself for reasons that are not entirely clear and I'm gonna slip quite a bit in the RAC standings.

Oh well, it's still about the science in the end, right?
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood wrote:
{...}
Oh well, it's still about the science in the end, right?

Admirable sentiment, and completely and absolutely correct #Big smile

Still, the bragging rights can be sweet Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: