KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CPU Temp 68C-too hot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: CPU Temp 68C-too hot? Reply with quote

My Pentium D 2.8Ghz is hanging around the 67-68C range according to Speedfan with BOINC running. That seems a tad high to me. This is a Gateway with factory componants across the board. Do I need to tame the temp a bit?

Last edited by Elwood on Wed May 10, 2006 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Might shorten the lifespan of the CPU from 15 years to 10. Do you intend to still be running it in 2016?

If you want it to run cooler, pick up a heftier heatsink/fan combo. Gateway ships it with one that will work and doesn't cost them a fortune but is not necessarily meant for constant processing.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is on the warm side of things. Granted the new Pentiums DO suck a LOT of power but I would still hope to keep the temperature in the lower 60s. As I recall that is about where my P4 at work ran with the stock heatsink.

I would suggest trying to run it with the case side off and perhaps a fan blowing into the side. If this helps the temperature a lot then the problem is probably with the case fans, not the CPU heatsink. You can get the best heatsink out there but if your case fans aren't sucking the hot air out of the case it won't do you any good. A lot of the dell/gateway/etc cases have extremely poor ventilation. An extra case fan or two might help out if there is a space to mount them. Check for dust in the heatsinks, fans and possibly air filters if your case has any. A can of compressed air every few months is a good investment.
Teh Grvmm
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wonding if this is idle, or full load.

If it's full load then a simple heatsink/fan upgrade or better CPU paste, taking off the side of yoru case,or even cleaning your computer of dust. anything of the above would work. but as long as if don't BSOD (blue screen of death, restarted from an error that happened).

If's idle then.... thats not suppose to happen. It should be 40's idle, maybe. maybe 50 and you should do something about it soon. In this case you prob should do one of the thing I said be4, and if you have stock get "real" themal paste or is you do put some on yourself make sure that when using themal paste that only a paper thin or less then paper thin layer. People offen put to much on which hinds cooling

X2 3800+ sonic tower + AS paste
2GB of Mushkin HP 2.3.2.6
4x 320 WD hdd Sata2 16mb raid 0
SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's under full load. Suspending BOINC takes it down to 55 in less than 30 seconds. And into the lower 50's within a minute. I've taken a gander into the case and at the fans; there isn't any debris, lint or blockage of air flow going on.

What's bugging me is that the case temp hangs around 39C whether under full load or merely idling. That strikes me as a heat dispersement issue closer to the processor.

From what I can tell, Intel is recommending Max temp of 64.1 for this processor, so I'm running a tad hot here.

I suppose I'll get around to addind a better heatsink/fan/thermal paste here eventually.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEA simply try adds a few fans to yoru case duh ( duh on my part)

that woudl help alot if you dont have any as most spremade computer don't.
The temp inside your case is prob really high after a while so doing that might fix your heating issue. #ni-1

But 39 idle seems alirght for intel.

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify:

Processor: Pentium D 820

Intel's recommended max: 64.1C

My CPU Temp, Idle: 53-59C

My CPU Temp, Full Load-67-69C

My Case Temp: 38-39C regardless of Load.

Cooling seems to be pretty light-duty. I'm thinking Gateway did not anticipate having this baby on full load 24x7 like this.

The placement of the cables doesn't seem to be helping the cause of airflow either. I'll try tucking them somewhere better when I get a moment to work on it.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I where you I'd jsut get a new heat sink/fan with some real thermal paste.

50 idle not supposed to happen. but If you fan on the stock heatsink pushing some desend air, then maybe all you might need is some real thermal paste as hp or dell always give you some grafight sticker as substitute.

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a lot of the computer apart tonight. I really don't agree with this case design at all. There is a duct sitting right on top the processor heatsink and the fan on the front that's feeding that duct is kind of wimpy and partially blocked by the media card reader in the third bay. There's a pile of cables behind the heatsink and it just doesn't look like there's anywhere for the air to go.

Interestingly enough, changing from Climate Prediction to Predictor/SETI/Einstein took about 4C off the temp. This machine is still as high as 59C idle though which tells me the heat sink and general design are just crap. I'm definitely replacing both before summer gets here and the ambient room temp wonders up into the upper 80's F.
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Speedfan and all it give's me is the temp. for the hard drive. How do you get the cpu temp? Sitting in front of it is like sitting in front of a space heater at times. Have a Pentium D 830 in a Dell XPS desk top. I have a box fan, 115 vac that I plan on mounting in the back of the compartment to at least releave me. I have come home or got up in the morning a few times over the months since I starting folding and found the machine has reset itself to the startup page and the folding shut down. That's never happens with the other machine 6 ft from it and networked together. #ni-1

I a lumberjack and I'm ok
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedFan works for configurations that have been submitted. Have you tried the "Find SMB" or "Get Config" options? If those fail, it may just be that no one's gotten around to submitting the configuration for that mobo yet.

I'd be inclined take the "space heater" syndrome as a positive sign. At least it means the heat is escaping the machine. The air around mine is not appreciably warmer, leading me to believe that it is just plain inefficient at dispersing the build up.

I'm also wondering if the big manufacturers are really putting enough cooling power into these pentium D machines. No doubt they're meeting some kind of minimum Intel requirement, but dang, this Gateway's system looks like crapola to me.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, for reasons that are not entirely understood, my fan simply stopped running for a while on my laptop, but BOINC just kept chugging along on its happy way. I just happened to walk past it and noticed speedfan reporting a temp of 89C for the processor and HD temp in the upper 60's. The keyboard and touchpad were so hot it was difficult just to shut it down properly. Fortunately, everything seems to be working fine now, inlcuding the fan, and all data is in tact. I just wish I knew why that fan stopped.
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the fan is starting to go. It's not uncommon. If it happens again you should get a new one very soon, or maybe try to clean it? maybe there's something like hair, or 8 pounds of dust slowing it to a stop.

SLI 7600gt
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After additional observation, it appears that the fan fails to start when the computer comes out of hibernation. It runs fine after a cold boot. I guess I'll have to avoid hibernation if I'm going to run BOINC!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should look into the liquid nitrogen thread in the Science News section.
AironJedi
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some simple fixes.. get a new heatsink fan combo from newegg.com jsut doa search for your chipset they will have good combos for ya for less than 30$ second keep the heatsink clean of dust and chekc the airflow around heatsink make sure no cables coords are blocking air geting to and from the area...Smile gl
christower
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: omg Reply with quote

my cpu is usually at around 60-65
and on full load its 70-80 how copuld i fix this and cool it down
ive heard i could use a thermal compound but will that work?
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-1 and welcome Chris, some of the real smart boyz and grrls will be here soon to help you out. Come back later, OK. #ni-1 #ni-2
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: omg Reply with quote

christower wrote:
my cpu is usually at around 60-65
and on full load its 70-80 how copuld i fix this and cool it down
ive heard i could use a thermal compound but will that work?

Is it a laptop? If so I can't recommend much, they still seem to use mostly proprietary parts for cooling.

If it's a "standard" PC, open it up and look inside. If it hasn't been cleaned in awhile (ever?) the fans are probably all full of dust bunnies, the vents closed off, etc. Depending on the environment (smokers especially), it can also be coated with a fairly serious layer of funk that works as an excellent heat barrier. Unfortunately, it's keeping the heat in, rather than keeping it out hehe.

Once you clean everything off and make sure the fans are actually working, check temps again. If everything was already clean, and all the fans are working, then you can start looking for better cooling. Probably the easiest thing would be to replace/upgrade fans first. I know you're mostly worried about CPU temps, but if it's that hot I bet everything else is too. An upgraded case fan or two might help get some air moving in there.

Replacing the CPU cooler itself, or the thermal grease ("compound") between it and the CPU, can destroy your system if you don't know what you're doing. I'd recommend against it without doing some online research first. And if you're going to pull it all off to use a good thermal grease like Arctic Silver, you might as well replace the CPU cooler at the same time since the compound alone is unlikely to make much of a difference (or be worth all the work!).

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: