KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choosing BOINC project(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little john
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Choosing BOINC project(s) Reply with quote

Thers are several to pick from

Has anyone done any testing as to what cpu/mem vs what project would run fastest?
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also be interested in any answers to this - I'm toying with abandoning CPDN. I'm getting a bit fed up with it failing all the time (I don't think I've got beyond 10% of a run yet).

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to choose a project for its scientific merits than points, me thinks Confused .
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I originally started with CPDN, but I hate to think of all that crunching not producing any useful results (even though the points still mount up).

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually several people have done such tests, but I don't know of any tests that cross all projects. Basically, browse around on each project's message boards and you can get an idea of what points/hour you can expect based on your system setup.

Any project that has optimized applications is likely to give you the highest point return, particularly if you use an optimised calibrating client as well.

But I still prefer contributing to the projects that you feel an affinity for and points be damned. I find my preferences tend to wander as well so my headway and points shift about like drifting alpacas. At least I'm having fun doing it and hopefully contributing to the betterment of society.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
little john
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not looking for what project gets the most points

What I was asking is with several differend machines would I be better off running the project that works best on witch machine
instede of running several on every one
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First hi and welcome little john, why not pick the scientific project and run 2 on each machine, then slowly add another, one at a time. This way if you have a problem you will know what happened.

Try running F@H it usually runs well with most projects, also D2ol, TSC, Rosette and Ralph. These are a few I would pick.

Get luck, they are all good projects.
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've gone for QMC (because it's new and because it's about quantum physics), followed by einstein (because it proper science, unlike seti) - but LHC gets my processing power over all of these (when it wants it) because I can see a real benefit to the particle accelerator by simulating it first. orbit@home will get the bulk of my credit once [if] it finally gets a move on.

Ni!
Fang

p.s. as a high producer on CPDN I'm also very disappointed by the recent crashes and dud work units coming out of that project.

Elwood
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hard data, but Predictor appears to be the least demanding on resources and Climate modeling seems to be the most. I'd run predictor on almost anything, but even my Pentium D was overheating when trying to run two CPDN models simultaneously. It also gobbles up a significant amount of RAM. Skip it unless you have the very best. I'm running Einstein & SETI on some machines ranging from 1GHz to 2.8Ghz and they do just fine on either.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Elwood on the Climate Prediction front - It is very hard on your PC - I've had to stop running it (though I managed to get the last WU completed) on my laptop at work because I used to find I'd come back in to work in the morning and the thing had 'blue screened' - It was no better on my numerous Linux boxes either. Shame really as it's such a worthwhile project to put effort into (though I do sometimes wonder how much less electricity we'd all need to consume if none of us ran any of these mass-computing efforts).

Ni!
Fang

Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grawlfang wrote:
I have to agree with Elwood on the Climate Prediction front - It is very hard on your PC - I've had to stop running it (though I managed to get the last WU completed) on my laptop at work because I used to find I'd come back in to work in the morning and the thing had 'blue screened' - It was no better on my numerous Linux boxes either. Shame really as it's such a worthwhile project to put effort into (though I do sometimes wonder how much less electricity we'd all need to consume if none of us ran any of these mass-computing efforts).

Fang

Oh, don't look at me it's so boring....

However it's worth noting this post, http://boinc.berkeley.edu/energy.php in light of my ending comment (the one in brackets).

Ni!
Fang

p.s. Tittybangbang fans only need reply to the first sentence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: