KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note to RALPH (aka Rosseta Alpha) users...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Note to RALPH (aka Rosseta Alpha) users... Reply with quote

In recent time there have been problems with the HBLR_* WUs. Actually, testing it under Linux on the box here, all seems well, so it seems to be a problem specifically to Windows. When they tried rolling the app out on Rosseta, there were, well difficulties, as some might have run into.

Anyhow, in nailing this down, ROM Walton has requested that RALPH users download the new 5.4.x beta version, as all the important debugging info they need to help nail this HBLR WU problem with the newer Rosseta apps, is only available from the newer beta CC...

http://ralph.bakerlab.org/forum_thread.php?id=157

Quote:
Most of the useful diagnostic information we can only get from the new 5.4.x clients.

Since this is an alpha test project and all, it would help a great deal to upgrade to 5.4.x.

----- Rom

If you're crunching any RALPH, I guess it would be best to upgrade the core client then... To see the new betas, just go here

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php?dev=1
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not feel comfortable to download a beta core client just for one set of WU's to crunch.

Ni
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and I'm 5% into a CPDN combined oceans WU myself, but ROM does have a point... It's an Alpha project, (actually permanent Alpha/Beta), which already makes it a testing environment. Also, the older core doesn't report back the info that Rosseta is needing, and he is needing to help them avoid another problem like when they unleashed version 4.97 on the main Rosseta project last weekend...

Though yes, there are issues with some projects (CPDN, for instance where one has to be careful), where in another thread when ROM asked people to upgrade, as the 5.2.x client doesn't have the necessary debugging to allow them to track down the failure of Rosseta/RALPH WUs at 1%, Moderator_9 turned around and asked him to advise people on what the risks would be with other projects...

A quick look at the Rosseta board, depicts exactly what went wrong, and it was ugly... I'd rate it right up there with some people's reaction to an extended outage on the SETI project a year or so back...

Unfortunately, on Windows, most of the HBLR_* WUs are causing access violations and crapping out before they can compute/give any credit. However, I just checked this in Linux, and it seems fine there. So it's soley a problem with the new Rosseta app in Windows, for which they don't have a fix to the science app as of yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: