KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heads up on some ubber crunching procs on their way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Heads up on some ubber crunching procs on their way Reply with quote

True, this is info about pre-release products, and true we don't have a final word on this. True also that AMD most likely will have an answer to compete, but a thought a heads up for some fellow crunchers might be in order Mr. Green

Noticed this on some other forums where it was under discussion, and it's Intel's upcomming x86-64 CPU, namely Conroe to come out late this year, to early next year, likely in time for the launch of Vista...

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

Quote:
Intel setup two identical systems: in one corner, an Athlon 64 FX-60 overclocked to 2.8GHz running on a DFI RD480 motherboard. And in the other corner, a Conroe running at 2.66GHz (1067MHz FSB) on an Intel 975X motherboard.

The AMD system used 1GB of DDR400 running at 2-2-2/1T timings, while the Intel system used 1GB of DDR2-667 running at 4-4-4. Both systems had a pair of Radeon X1900 XTs running in CrossFire and as far as we could tell, the drivers and the rest of the system setup was identical. They had a handful of benchmarks preloaded that we ran ourselves, the results of those benchmarks are on the following pages. Tomorrow we'll be able to go into great depth on the architecture of Conroe, but for now enjoy the benchmarks.

As far as we could tell, there was nothing fishy going on with the benchmarks or the install. Both systems were clean and used the latest versions of all of the drivers (the ATI graphics driver was modified to recognize the Conroe CPU but that driver was loaded on both AMD and Intel systems).

Intel told us to expect an average performance advantage of around 20% across all benchmarks, some will obviously be higher and some will be lower. Honestly it doesn't make sense for Intel to rig anything here since we'll be able to test it ourselves in a handful of months. We won't say it's impossible as anything can happen, but we couldn't find anything suspicious about the setups.

They are also multi-core like the X2, if I'm understanding correctly also. There were also some corrections as pointed out by some readers (which put the perf raiting in FEAR closer to the 20% which held throughout the other tests, rather then the 40% initially seen), but Anandtech was able to run the tests, and tinker around on the machines which were setup...

Thought some crunchers might want to know what's in the works, and what is expected to be available for purchase within a years time or so. Cool From here, the competition between the CPU manufacturers should start heating up...
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 % faster perhaps but knowing Intel it'll be twice as expensive Rolling Eyes .

I Fart in their Bunny suits Razz .

#ni-2
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Rofl

Well, we will certainly see, though it also means AMD will likely be cranking something out in the year to follow or something... Might be interesting to see what kinda crunching power we'll be getting from em babies :d I do remember going from my PII 400 to my Athlon 700, and getting a serious, and I do mean serious reduction in SETI crunch times back on classic Smile

Oh, and those bunnies, yeah, they went a bit far Surprised I could care less about their advertizing bunnies #ni-1
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD Quad Cores last quater of this year

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

True

Buy your Mortgage now

Regds Grizz

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but try here for some serious crunching power. #ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quad cores can only mean that I'll be able to consider affording the dual cores. I took the precaution of getting a MB that supported two of them. Then the Grizz will phear me.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I've got an AGP card now, so when I upgrade the gfx card, I'll probably switch over to PCI-X... Mobos are cheap by comparison these days, and the swapping of a mobo doesn't bother me too much...

Against the upcomming procs, who knows, but someone with a name similar to mine who I was readily beating hands down, just got not 1, but 2 X2 procs, and kept his 3 XP 1700+s around... Meh, not much I can do now... I'll see then, and after I get a job, considering I graduated from one of my degrees/majors last semester...

Oh, and the quantum computer, yeah interesting though I little ways off. I created a thread wrt some of this stuff on the QMC project board. Well, it is related to Quantum mechanics, somewhat Very Happy

http://qah.uni-muenster.de/forum_thread.php?id=18

The original article, sorta a wierdish situation that arrises in quantum computing was mentioned here

http://www.physorg.com/news11087.html

They're still a bit of a ways away however, before we'll start seeing them. Though with luck, sometime in my lifetime they'll be out there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: