KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guru's needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Guru's needed Reply with quote

I'm thinking of building a computer from scratch. I want one B.A. shrubbing machine that I can do anything else I want with at the same time.
This will be on a budget but want Pentium D. I've never done this before so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Try to keep it in the 6-700.00 dollar range.
This machine will shrub 24/7/365

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are you asking? Our recomendations? or step by step? Personaly I wouldn't go Pentium D i'd go AMD. Main thing to keep in mind for a 24/7 shrubber, RAM always good more the better 1 gig, Hard drive, not realy a factor, but SATA good. Cooling, can't say enough about cooling, cooler you run the longer your machine and processor will last, and even allow for overclocking. A uber shrubber will cost you more than 400-600 unfortunatly, a decent shrubber will run about that much, still can buy a killer emachine from best buy cheaper than you could build it, buying the components individualy. The I can build it cheaper than a premade is not necessarily the case, unless your buying used/referb equipment or can catch deals on new equipment at a flee market or computer show.
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Guru's needed Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
I'm thinking of building a computer from scratch. I want one B.A. shrubbing machine that I can do anything else I want with at the same time.
This will be on a budget but want Pentium D. I've never done this before so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Try to keep it in the 6-700.00 dollar range.
This machine will shrub 24/7/365

Hi + Ni !! Sir Icn!

Well - 600~700 $ is not going to get you a NEW kick a$$ fastest CPU (AMD or Intel) , let alone all the other gubbins you need . Sad
If you want to run 24/7 on DC projects and also do real life work , it depends on the real life stuff you wish to do . Word processing makes very little impact , but Video editing or gameing or CADCAM can and will suffer !
Speaking of Video editing or gaming , a DECENT fast Video card is a must - these ain't cheap (~200 $) for a good one (NOT the best though) .
The faster and more powerful CPU used WILL require a decent 500 Watt + PSU (~120 $) . Cheap PSUs are not woth it .
As Sir Cigar said , cooling is very important , so a GOOD heatsink/fan and case cooling is paramount - think ~50 $
Case : If you are going to build your own machine , then think of future upgrades ( Very Happy ) . A good big box makes life SO MUCH easier (most come with a PSU fitted , but not usually a good PSU) , approx 150 $ for a good one . (I know there are much cheaper cases out there , but make your life easy for a first time build)
RAM : more the better , minimum 512 Meg . (And fast too)
Hard disk - virtually irrelevant now - unless you are running a large database or Video editing or such with many disk writes/reads .

A very good route for a mutipurpose machine is a Dual set up . Either Intel or AMD . Dual core CPUs are almost now d'regure Shocked - but are still expensive . A cheaper dual route is 2 off AMD 2600MP + . O'Farty want's to maybe sell his Shocked . These are still available new or second hand on the internet ~ 100 $ each CPU , but they must BOTH be the same model and preferably from the same batch . You will of course need a suitable motherboard , 200~250 $ . Remember , most Dually set ups require registered RAM , sometimes in pairs Sad - extra $ .
Again as Sir Cigar , my preference is AMD , especially the dual core models . Pays your money and makes the choice on speed .

This not so brief note does not even scratch the surface of the multitude of options open for a self build computer , but if you persevere , they are very rewarding !!

Please do not hesitate to querry more .

Regds Grizz

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do no video editing, CAD and very little gaming. Most is just of the time it is just shrubbing. My system now is a 3.0GHZ P4 HT with 1.5GB of DDR2 SDRAM @533MHz. It's a Dell 8400. I want another computer that is more upgradeable. Dell isn't very good for that. I want it faster than this one too. Hence the Pentium D.
Gotta leave for work now, more later.
Thanks guys!
Randy

4870 GPU
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frame of reference, I'm putting together a dual opteron, no where near top of the line, but it has the capacity to be there when it's no longer the top. (That made sense in the universe it was created BTW).

Anywhoo, about half the parts purchased and I'm ~$1200 or so. A computer can be built for the money you're talking but it will be average at best.

I agree with Cohiba *shudder*. Best performance per dollar on a budget is to buy something pre-made at insert_your_discount_chain_here.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, realistically I need to be thinking more along the lines of 1400 - 1600?

4870 GPU
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emachines are going for about $450.00 and have AMD 3000+, check those out.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
So, realistically I need to be thinking more along the lines of 1400 - 1600?

If you want to build your own ubber shrubber low of 800 high of 1600, The more money the more ubber you can get, but remember once you buy it by the time its shipped and arrives at your door something better will be out. But to start a smaller more upgradeable shrubber yes you could get away with 400-600 and work your way up, its what I do. Just recently threw out the first {sniff.. sniff.. Crying or Very sad } Atx case I ever bought, the thing empty weighed about 20lbs. My new ubber shruber case with LED fan's plexiglass window empty weighs about 5lbs. So this last year i Upgraded cooling, and the case and memory, this year probably more memory, and maybe new processor to give a slight speed bump, move it to the highest speed my motherboard supports, then next year maybe move up to a dual core AMD or a AMD 64.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: