KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SN] SETI & Intelligent Design
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: [SN] SETI & Intelligent Design Reply with quote

Quote:
What many readers will not know is that SETI research has been offered up in support of Intelligent Design.

Seth Shostak, SETI Institute
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. Smile

[editorial]
I often wonder if the ID folk have really thought about what they are trying to do. The scientific process requires a null and an alternate hypothesis. You assume the null, and try to show the alternate, and so advance knowledge of what is.

So, if you want to argue in favor of ID, do you assume that God doesn't exist, and find evidence that she does? Or, do you assume God does exist and try to prove that she doesn't? I'm not sure those in favor if ID would appreciate either option.

The real answer is that ID is a matter of faith, not science or reason. Trying to apply scientific reasoning to prove your faith is self defeating, and rather silly. This is not the first time religion and science have clashed over such an issue; The was once a man named Galileo Galilei who got in a disagreement with the Catholic Church about the Earth not being the center of the Universe. Long story short: Galileo was on the right track, the church got over it, and people still have faith. The evolution/ID argument is simply the latest version of an old story.

Besides, God's much to clever to let us find the proof. Wink

Dan
[/editorial]
End of Days
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: SETI & Intelligent Design Reply with quote

Poor analogies used here. The Bible never spoke about the earth being the center of the universe (though recent discoveries by Hubble show that it is close), that was a "belief" espoused by the church, where as the Bible does most specifically speak of creation and creation is a cornerstone to the Christian faith. Without a perfect creation and man's disobedience to God & fall into sin there is no need of a Savior and the entire Bible falls into question. Furthermore, evolution is a theory that does indeed have many flaws; the main flaw being that as a theory it is constantly changing, there is little or no consistency, what in one year is sworn upon as “gospel truth” in another year is eventually disproved and then ignored and dismissed as not important anyway. For example; in the Scopes Monkey trial, every single point of "proof" of evolution offered in the court has since been disproved, abandoned and no longer taught as part of the theory. The three main systems used by evolutionists are natural selection, microevolution and macroevolution. The only one of those three in dispute is macroevolution. Macroevolution is also the only one of the three that fails or does not follow established scientific method. Creation or ID cannot be scientifically proven, but neither can macroevolution. Another example; if you ever look at what are called phylogenetic trees, you will see that the known and proven “links” are well documented and explained by natural selection and microevolution. Where macroevolution should come into play connecting the various species the “trees” are nothing but gaps and incomplete branches with absolutely no fossil record or any other type of physical proof. To me the saddest thing about this whole debate or controversy is that there are several thousand degreed scientists around the country that see both ID and macroevolution as improvable theories but because they do not fall into step with the status quote are squashed, blackballed and ridiculed. This indicates to me that evolution is as much a “faith based” belief as is ID or creation. When a main aspect of a theory is totally unproven yet any question of it is considered heresy and those posing the questions are all but crucified that is a fanatical type of faith not truth in any form.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a key difference between ID and macroevolution that you're missing. Given the proper evidence, macroevolution could either be confirmed or shown to be false. ID admits no such evidence. There is no evidence that could ever falsify ID. This makes ID distinctly NOT science. I don't really care whether anyone believes ID, but it most certainly is not science and should not be passed off as such.
End of Days
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple more paragraphs typed out but then reminded myself that this is not a religion discussion thread so...
Your statement is true. It is the vast complexity that evolution cannot explain that ID folks point to as the proof, particularly those things that can be classified as irreducibly complex. But beyond that, I doubt greatly that we will ever look into a microscope and see a signature on a cell wall. But how could the presence or actions of a spiritual being in a material universe ever be proven or disproven? The Bible itself is the only material evidence (and it was writtneby men), it and Christ is God’s “communication” with us, and its own passages say that it cannot be fully known and understood without faith and without the Holy Spirit indwelling us and leading us to the truths it contains; somewhat of a paradox isn’t it.
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by my analogy for it's intended purpose; Faith and Reason have clashed before, and will continue to do so.

Does evolution theory have flaws? Sure, and so what? Science can't adequately explain gravity either, but I don't see people throwing themselves off of buildings in protest that our understanding is incomplete. Wink Like the theory of Gravity, the theory of evolution best fits the available evidence. Charles Darwin hit upon one of the greatest scientific ideas in history. Many scientific theories come and go, but the really good ones stick around, and are refined over time. The science of evolution is still being refined.

The ridicule heaped upon ID and it's supporters is no less than any scientist would receive for putting forward unsupportable ideas. That's not unfair, that's how the system works (Cold fusion would be a good example). If ID wants to be a science, then it needs to play by the rules of science. And, as I said before, trying to prove faith through reason is futile.

There is no paradox here, only confusion about what science is telling us. Perhaps this is an indication that we need to do a better job teaching the scientific method in our schools. Faith can guide us in matters where Reason cannot, and that is its purpose. Reason can teach us about the world we live in, and that is its purpose. Knowing when to use our Reason and when to trust our Faith, is wisdom.

One final comment: I have no problems with ID as a belief, but trying to call ID a science is just wrong, and a disservice to both Faith and Reason.

Dan
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Macroevolution is also the only one of the three that fails or does not follow established scientific method. " End of Days

Wrong. Speciation has been observed directly.

"But how could the presence or actions of a spiritual being in a material universe ever be proven or disproven? " End of Days

Your rhetorical question proves ID should not be taught as Science.
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get me one. Wink

ni! i!u
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...where can we get those?
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyv wrote:
Yeah...where can we get those?

http://www.cafepress.com/idid
End of Days
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the T-Shirts!

BTW, here is a web site on ID that for some reason is a favorite of mine Smile

http://www.arn.org/

And I would be remiss if I didn't include a second favorite

http://www.ideacenter.org/

Nice chatting with you folks even as breif as it was.

Dennis Wagner
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it what you or rename it till it sounds politicaly correct it still is what it is, a christian/religious view on creation. If it gets back into schools i think i'll start a campaign to include the Hindu version of creation to be tought along ID / darwin..

Ohh maybe instead of health and human relations {sex ed} maybe we can get the kama sutra taught..
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Days wrote:

Dennis Wagner

Dennis,

Thanks for stopping in. Thanks also, for the links, which are far better sites than I was able to turn up with a casual search. I see now that this links to your web site and organization. Silly me, I thought I was arguing with some random Looney, but it seems you are in fact a very well informed visitor. Smile

One question I just HAVE to ask: How did you ever end up here??? You are no doubt aware that this bulletin board doesn't exactly specialize in rational discussion (in fact, we pride ourselves on the opposite). Sometimes though, despite our best efforts, it happens anyway. Wink To have someone show up out-of-the-blue and pose us Looneys with a serious discussion is rather unexpected, to say the least.

I think you also know that I do not agree with you about the basis of Intelligent Design. I won't muddy the waters with tit-for-tat argument (there's too much of that already), but I will further consider the issue. Please stop in again in a week or two, and I may have some more to say on the subject.

Regards,

Dan Eastwood
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:
End of Days wrote:

Dennis Wagner

Dennis,

Thanks for stopping in. Thanks also, for pimping your site. Silly me, I thought I was arguing with a sane person, but it seems you are in fact a very Looney visitor. Smile

One question I just HAVE to ask: How did you ever end up here??? You off your medication again. If so can you share? To have someone show up out-of-the-blue and pose us Looneys with a non-serious discussion is rather expected.

CHICKEN... CHICKEN.... CHICKEN.... Come back once you've grown a pair.

Regards,

Dan Eastwood

Fixed..

PS EOD we love good discusions/tauntings, you won't offend us or get banned for your views no mater how much we may not agree..
Sir Prize
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about an ET who likes designing crazy organisms?

Maybe we are all an Alpha Centauri computer game Laughing

Or a Venusian Research Institute?

Sir_Prize

PS I am a Christian with a sense of humour
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 14 y.o. boy-child's theory is that we were 'planted' here by some aliens from another planet. He doesn't specify which one.
Future looney in the making? Shocked

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
My 14 y.o. boy-child's theory is that we were 'planted' here by some aliens from another planet. He doesn't specify which one.

'splain to him gently that even if this were possible, it still doesn't solve the problem of origins. It just moves the problem to a different planet.
Put simply "OK, fine..how did the alien race get its start?"

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

Has he been talking to Tom Cruise?
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:

HE been watching to much stargate? Or have you?
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:

Fixed..

PS EOD we love good discusions/tauntings, you won't offend us or get banned for your views no mater how much we may not agree..

***ROTFL***

Now now, is that how we treat a polite visitor?

Well ... OK .... I guess it is ... in fact that's about how we treat everybody. Wink

Still, we haven't even given him his alpaca yet, or properly instructed him on the board rules, the proper spelling of Looneys, the care and feeding of penguins, or even how a thread should properly be ignored. Personally, I think Sir End of Days is quite brave (or at least Looney) to visit our Looney Bin in the first place.

ni! i!u
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: