KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Community Grid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: World Community Grid Reply with quote

There is a BOINC app for this now.. linux only for those of you still running this project. It uses BOINC 5x clients. Here is the thread on the WCG site.
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "Knights" team there but the name does not have all the words capitalized as is the accepted form for our team.

I am signed up but as this project is an outgrowth of Grid I am concerned that, since it has it's origins in a project that was used for one company's private use, it is still a for-profit venture. Are we sure that this really is an open project? I have seen some mention of a db that would be open for researchers use but not that it has gone live.
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP*

For us team-stats-focused Knights the name has to be the same for all projects. Please correct it.

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently received an email since I was on the FightAIDS@Home list. The project is comming to World Community Grid. Part of the email:

The transition to World Community Grid will improve FightAIDS@Home in important ways. First it will provide FightAIDS@Home Members with information about their contribution to the project, including the number of job credits you've computed and overall project statistics. It will display 3D graphical output showing computational progress, and provide a Member forum for FightAIDS@Home discussion and updates. The new environment will provide a maintainable and updateable environment for AutoDock and the science run on FightAIDS@Home, and it will help increase awareness of the FightAIDS@Home project, enabling us to run more advanced computations. Before the end of 2005 World Community Grid will support FightAIDS@Home on Linux based systems.

So this is good news.
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javapersona wrote:
*BUMP*

For us team-stats-focused Knights the name has to be the same for all projects. Please correct it.

#ni-1 #ni-1 #ni-1

I cannot change it for i'm not the founder or even run that particular program.
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized I just assumed that. Uh oh! #Microwave

The team captain as listed is, I believe, saricor? Does not match any name on our forums.

I attempted to add a team with the correct spelling but I got the response that a team with that name already exists. #Bad Talk

What should "we" do? #ni-2
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps create a team with just the Capital letters?

KWSN

Although this also does not conform to our guidlines. Perhaps the available team name will suffice for now, as from the looks of things the captain hasn't even returned any work.
Mr. Snrub
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....

Quote:
Team Name: Current Members: Date Created:

Knights who say Ni 1 11/23/2005

The knights who say Ni! 4 11/17/2004

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewSearchResults.do?searchOption=name&searchValue=knights+who

This looks like the result of a Government Committee. We may need to create a Task Force in order to sort this out.
Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Windows client for this project, it's not just obvious.

If you follow the process of signing up as if you had linux but don't download the software, you can attach to the project in the usual manner and you'll get work for Windows.

I've returned 7 WUs so far so it does work.

Badges:
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps contacting the site admin with a freindly request would get the name capitilized correctly. Surely the owner would not object, assuming someone could actually reach him/her/other.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Randu
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with the WCG running BOINC-Windows and had it running a while, and then I realized (and this is confirmed in the forums) that for BOINC users, at the moment it's running an *older* version of the *Rosetta* client.

Also, from the FAQ: "What projects at World Community Grid are available on BOINC? The Human Proteome Folding project is currently available on BOINC. We will be making FightAIDS@Home available soon." So right now all you can do using BOINC there is basically what Rosetta is doing, and not the AIDS project.

Using their proprietary client, not BOINC, you can run/choose either of their projects. But then of course you can't also run other projects like SETI or what have you Smile
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems their documentation is slightly out of date. Yes, they are running an older Rosetta, but FAAH is active and one of the projects you can select.

Poke around till you find the preferences and you can choose which projects to contribute to within the WCG.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Randu
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two device profiles, one for "United Devices Device Profiles" and one for "BOINC Device Profiles". The UDDP is for their own in-house program, and if you're running that you can choose either or both:

Participate in All Projects
FightAIDS@Home
Human Proteome Folding

If you're running BOINC, I don't see that option anywhere under the profile. Also, they say once they do get FAAH running on BOINC:

At this time the BOINC software platform does not support users selecting which project is run on their computer. The BOINC software will randomly assign work to your computer from one of the projects that World Community Grid has available.

An enhancement to the BOINC platform to implement this is being considered.

Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well A Shrubbery, I take it all back Smile While searching their forums I found a more recent post saying: You can also look at the Work tab of your BOINC manager under the application column. rosetta is the app that runs Human Proteome Folding, and autodock is the one for FightAIDS@Home.

I just never saw Autodock running when I had WCG active. You CAN set which projects to do for Boinc, under your main profile, but just not on a per- device setting with Boinc. If you select both projects it sends out whichever work queue has the most available, I gather.

Hope that clears it up now Smile
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope that clears it up now

Yes, that's perfectly...huh?

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking their site, there are 2 projects listed with this team's name, though slightly different spelling. Which is the correct, I have no idea...

I was able to get it to do fight aids at home exclusively with the BOINC client through profile settings. I saw no reason to run an older version of Rosetta, given I'm also signed up for the Rosetta project. Perhaps someone can point, which project is the correct project listing for us here...

In fact a found multiple listings under SETI as well, so am not sure, but that's probably already addressed somewhere in the SETI thread I would imagine...
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be the first SETI team listed in the stats for total credit in position 9.

Ni
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thx, well setup then...

Will also with WCG (which I have been doing a fair amount of crunching for of late), if someone has some resolution on how this has been remedied, etc...
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't looked at the team listings there for a bit, but the one to join is "The knights who say Ni!". While the capitalization doesn't match close enough for it to be included in team totals for multiple projects, the end results do go to us.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx

BTW, I did check BOINC stats, and though some sights might not bundle it, it seems this site is

---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: