KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now I've really broken it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Now I've really broken it Reply with quote

[whine]
Over the long weekend I visited my cousin. While there I attempted to fix his computer, which was suffering the worst case of the spywares I have ever seen (an older PC running WIN2000 Professional). Apparently this computer has been unusable since someone downloaded Morpheus a month ago. My (other) cousin had already downloaded and installed all the same anti-spyware programs I would use, so I updated these and proceded to run scans. After the first several scans failed to get everything, I rebooted to safe-mode and repeated the scans, but one program kept reinstalling itself with each reboot. Part of the problem is evry browser window was automatically hijacked, and I couldn't view the AdAware TAC page for help. I also couldn't download HijackThis.exe, which I think might have fixed the problem.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really asking for help, just venting. My cousin thanked me by dragging me around behind his boat until I was battered, bruised, and very waterlogged (which tells you something about how well I waterski). When I left the computer would not boot up at all, but aparently it has an intermittent hardware problem too, so perhaps that is not my fault.
[/whine]

ni! i!u
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Rodentia,

Went thru the same thing myself on my GF's mother's pc. Found over 1,000 adware/virus thingies, it had browser hijackers out the wazoo. I managed to kill them all. Upgraded XP with the latest service packs etc etc ad nauseum.

When all was said and done I woulda been better off doing a clean install. Fixing them when they're that bad is a waste of time Sad .

#ni-2
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of need us one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh my god I sooo need that shirt for when i go to family functions. But i sorta got around that now and when they start asking questions i whip out my company's business card and say family rate is 20/hr everyone else its 40/hr. Most spyware takes about 2 hours, still want me to fix it.

Shameless Plug.. http://www.merlincomputing.com serving the greater michigan area Very Happy

Whats sad about some of the spyware, is some machines its quicker and easier to wipe the bastard and do a fresh install than it is to clean it, and that not 1 program fixes everything. Adaware can't clean some things, M$ spyware cleans others...
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually run both Ad Aware and Spybot. They each seem to pick up things that the other one misses. And I did have SpywareBlaster installed a while back on the other computer. I think I've been one of the lucky ones as I've never had too much of a problem with spyware.

(Just reminded myself to reinstall SpywareBlaster lol)

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyv wrote:
Most of need us one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/

I prefer the ones that say "go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script".

Ni!
Fang

jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have those too. Smile
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I have since identified the culprit the the nail.exe program, a.k.a. Aurora. Now I just have to figure out how to put together a rescue disk and ship it off to the Land-of-Bourbon*.

* Actually, if you're in this particular corner of Kentucky, it's more likely this stuff. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: