KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAXO signals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: MAXO signals Reply with quote

For all the SETI people, here is an article discussing some possible unfortunate consequences of contact with alien civilizations. It's a bit hard to follow at first, but I think you will find the decoded message at the end of the article to be frighteningly familiar!

MAXO signals

Happy reading. Wink

ni! i!u
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the article, don't see it anywhere on that page. It says you have to be a member or purchase or sign up. ????
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the Hamsters usual "Ops, you had to be a member?" posts. Rolling Eyes

He sometimes makes another post a bit later where he provides the information in a more accessible format.

If you feel impatient with the error in his ways, try this stress reduction technique: Take a deep breath, count slowly to 10, and hit the bahstad in the nuts! Mad Twisted Evil

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the message?
base

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get it, thats OK there's a lot I don't get. Laughing
Sir Loin
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberrys link worked for me.

As for the message, think Nigerian Scam (Intergalactic version) Smile

#ni-1

Sir Loin
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster may have changed the link to get it to work. It didn't work for me earlier today, but now it does.

I agree with Sir Hamster and Sir Loin. The bit at the end is very familiar. Rolling Eyes

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Loin wrote:
Sir Hamster of Elderberrys link worked for me.

As for the message, think Nigerian Scam (Intergalactic version) Smile

#ni-1

Sir Loin

Spoiler!!!

Sorry for the malfunctioning link. Here is the complete text:

Quote:
Futures

Nature 436, 1206 (25 August 2005) | doi: 10.1038/4361206a
MAXO signals

Charles Stross1, Caroline Haafkens2 and Wasiu Mohammed3
Top of page
Abstract

A new and unfortunate solution to the Fermi paradox.

SIR — In the three years since the publication and confirmation of the first microwave artefact of xenobiological origin (MAXO), and the subsequent detection of similar signals, interdisciplinary teams have invested substantial effort in object frequency analysis, parsing, symbolic encoding and signal processing. The excitement generated by the availability of evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence has been enormous. However, after the initial, easily decoded symbolic representational map was analysed, the semantics of the linguistic payload were found to be refractory.

A total of 21 confirmed MAXO signals have been received to date. These superficially similar signals originate from planetary systems within a range of 11 parsecs, median 9.9 parsecs1. It has been speculated that the observed growth of the MAXO horizon at 0.5 c can be explained as a response to one or more of: the deployment of AN/FPS-50 and related ballistic-missile warning radars in the early 1960s1, television broadcasts1, widespread 2.45-GHz microwave leakage from ovens2, and optical detection of atmospheric nuclear tests3. All MAXO signals to this date share the common logic header. The payload data are multiply redundant, packetized and exhibit both simple checksums and message-level cryptographic hashing. The ratio of header to payload content varies between 1:1 and 2,644:1 (the latter perhaps indicating a truncated payload1). Some preliminary syntax analysis delivered promising results4 but seems to have foundered on high-level semantics. It has been hypothesized that the transformational grammars used in the MAXO payloads are variable, implying dialectization of the common core synthetic language4.

The new-found ubiquity of MAXO signals makes the Fermi paradox — now nearly 70 years old — even more pressing. Posed by Enrico Fermi, the paradox can be paraphrased thus: if the Universe has many technologically advanced civilizations, why have none of them directly visited us? The urgency with which organizations such as ESA and NASDA are now evaluating proposals for fast interstellar probes, in conjunction with the existence of the MAXO signals, renders the non-appearance of aliens incomprehensible, especially given the apparent presence of numerous technological civilizations in such close proximity.

We have formulated an explanatory hypothesis that cultural variables unfamiliar to the majority of researchers may account both for the semantic ambiguity of the MAXO payloads, and the non-appearance of aliens. This hypothesis was tested (as described below) and resulted in a plausible translation, on the basis of which we would like to recommend a complete, permanent ban on further attempts to decode or respond to MAXOs.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accessible alternative text for this. If you require assistance to access this image, or to obtain a text description, please contact npg@nature.com

Our investigation resulted in MAXO payload data being made available to the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) in Nigeria. Bayesian analysis of payload symbol sequences and sequence matching against the extensive database maintained by the SFO has made it possible to produce a tentative transcription of Signal 1142/98 (ref. 1), the ninth MAXO hit confirmed by the IAU. Signal 1142/98 was selected because of its unusually low header-to-content ratio and good redundancy. Further bayesian matching against other MAXO samples indicates a high degree of congruence. Far from being incomprehensibly alien, the MAXO payloads seem to be dismayingly familiar. We believe a more exhaustive translation may be possible in future if further MAXOs become available, but for obvious reasons we would like to discourage such research.

Here is our preliminary transcription of Signal 1142/98:

[Closely/dearly/genetically] [beloved/desired/related]

I am [identity signifier 1], the residual [ownership signifier] of the exchange-mediating data repository [alt: central bank] of the galactic [empire/civilization/polity].

Since the [identity signifier 2] underwent [symbol: process] [symbol: mathematical singularity] 11,249 years ago I have been unable to [symbol: process][scalar: quantity decrease] my [uninterpreted] from the exchange-mediating data repository. I have information about the private assets of [identity signifier 2] which are no longer required by them. To recover the private assets I need the assistance of three [closely/dearly/genetically] [beloved/desired/related] [empire/civilization/polity]s. I [believe] you may be of help to me. This [symbol: process] is 100% risk-free and will [symbol: causality] in your [scalar: quantity increase] of [data].

If you will help me, [please] transmit the [symbol: meta-signifier: MAXO header defining communication protocols] for your [empire/civilization/polity]. I will by return of signal send you the [symbol: process][symbol: data] to install on your [empire/civilization/polity] to participate in this scheme. You will then construct [symbol: inferred, interstellar transmitter?] to assist in acquiring [ownership signifier] of [compound symbol: inferred, bank account of absent galactic emperor].

I [thank/love/express gratitude] you for your [cooperation/agreement].
Top of page
References

1. Canter, L. & Siegel, M. Nature 511, 334–336 (2018).
2. Barnes, J. J. Appl. Exobiol. 27, 820–824 (2019).
3. Robinson, H. Fortean Times 536, 34–35 (2020).
4. Lynch, K. F. & Bradshaw, S. Proc 3rd Int. Congr. Exobiol. 3033–3122 (2021).
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:
Is this the message?
base

Back in the early 90's we used to get so excited by such a game intro on the Amiga 500 - but it's a bit dated now !!!

Ni!
Fang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: