KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BoincView

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: BoincView Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with BoincView and enableing the rpc gui. I can make it work with the linking to shares, but I can't seem to get the hang of enabling the gui. 1 - How do you start the client with the "-allow_remote_gui_rpc" argument? 2 - Where does the "remote_hosts.cfg" file go? I see mention of these things, but nothing defining where they go/start from.. Thanks in advance. This would be helpful to me due to the spread out of computers that I am running on, and the fact that I use dial up.

#ni-1
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BoincView Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with BoincView and enableing the rpc gui. I can make it work with the linking to shares, but I can't seem to get the hang of enabling the gui. 1 - How do you start the client with the "-allow_remote_gui_rpc" argument? 2 - Where does the "remote_hosts.cfg" file go? I see mention of these things, but nothing defining where they go/start from.. Thanks in advance. This would be helpful to me due to the spread out of computers that I am running on, and the fact that I use dial up.

#ni-1

Ok remote_hosts.cfg file goes in your boinc folder so in my case that happens to be c:\program files\boinc
Here is what my remote_hosts.cfg contains

one line and only 1 line to tell the boinc clients to allow my main host to connect. Then with boincview you need to make sure your using the right version of boincview with the right clients. For example i have some clients that are still 4.19 and some that are 4.25

Boincview 1.0.4 works with 4.25 but does not work with 4.19 where 0.9.2d of boincview is required.

Any more questions ask. The reason boincview won't work with certain version are due to changes in the boinc client. For example 4.25 changed the rpc port.
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Boinc is 4.45, Boincview is 1.01.02a

I will change the hosts file and try again. I am assuming that I want to do this on the machine I will run View on, correct? Not all the other ones? Thanks for the comeback.

(I had Classic locked up doing what I wanted it to, this newer Boinc is making me dig some.)
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got 3 out of 5 computers on board. To get mine to show up, I had to input the loopback address 127.0.0.1 in the configuration. It then showed up immediately. Now to figure out the other 2 ......... Wink Twisted Evil
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BoincView Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
Any more questions ask. The reason boincview won't work with certain version are due to changes in the boinc client. For example 4.25 changed the rpc port.

Now this man is smart, you listen to him ya here? #ni-1 #ni-1
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I M all ears......
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Ok, Boinc is 4.45, Boincview is 1.01.02a

I will change the hosts file and try again. I am assuming that I want to do this on the machine I will run View on, correct? Not all the other ones? Thanks for the comeback.

(I had Classic locked up doing what I wanted it to, this newer Boinc is making me dig some.)

You actually need to change the hosts file on all the boinc machines. You also may need to restart boinc after updating the remote_hosts.cfg

Example of the batch file i used on my windows machines.
net stop boinc
copy \\autobasebw\shared\patches\boinc\remote_hosts.cfg "c:\program files\boinc\remote_hosts.cfg"
net start boinc

I also had some other lines to copy and make registry lines but the above was the easy way for me to copy remote_hosts.cfg to 20 pc's Even if on the local machine you had put the ip address of the machine in remote_hosts.cfg it would have worked along with the 127.0.0.1
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me, I had already done that on the first few, and had forgotten it already. I only have one left to do now... Very Happy

This works very nicely because from the one interface, I can cause all the remote clients to send the data back without having to wait for the time out to be over with when I get a chance to go online. I live in such a remote area, they tell me I am lucky to even have electricity....

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I live in such a remote area, they tell me I am lucky to even have electricity....

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2

Do you live right behind me?
old iron
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the second or third hill to the north... , just before the lake. #ni-2
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the highest mountain, so if you are two or three hills up, the clouds have swallowed you. I may see you over the rainbow, I think thats a shrubber I see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: