KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SETI@Home classic winding down (REALLY!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: SETI@Home classic winding down (REALLY!) Reply with quote

Well it seems Majorkong's prediction was a bit premature in 2003... but Seti classic IS coming to and end. http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu now points to the seti/BOINC website. Seti classic now lives at http://seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu. There are also other things going on behind the scenes that are hinting towards it. Berkeley recently re-arranged their server closet which was a required step on the way to shutting down classic. They have also been beefing up the work unit supply on BOINC in anticipation of a large influx of new users when classic goes dark. So all you classic hold-outs... it is time to get with the times! Yes BOINC is different, yes it still needs a bit of tweaking, yes you will have to learn a new system but so goes what we call "progress" Smile The current system is pretty good and they are working hard to improve it even more.

On another note, we really NEED all of you guys in BOINC! KWSN is slipping in the ranks! At one point I believe we were in the top 5 teams. Now we are about to drop out of the top 10 in the Seti stats! #Mad This situation must be averted at all costs! We need the entire team BOINCing if we are to beat back those who would oppose us!

So the real message here is BOINC HARDER! Embarassed

And as always, #ni-1 #ni-1
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SETI@Home classic winding down (REALLY!) Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
So the real message here is BOINC HARDER! Embarassed

I'm doing my part and so is my dog Very Happy !

Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, of course, more useful things to spend ones spare CPU cycles upon - and that coming from a top 99.5% seti-classic contributor of over 5.5 years standing.

Ni!
Fang

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grawlfang wrote:
There are, of course, more useful things to spend ones spare CPU cycles upon - and that coming from a top 99.5% seti-classic contributor of over 5.5 years standing.

Ni!
Fang

Just depends on your personal preference. And that is why I love BOINC. Right now about 70% of my computing power is going toward LHC@home which has much more immediate and concrete application than seti. But they don't always have work so I do predictor, einstein and seti as well.

And here is the latest on the whole shutting down SETI classic:

Matt Lebofsky (seti admin) wrote:

At this point we're basically just waiting on the latest release of BOINC, which includes newer user-friendly features (like not having to deal with an account key). This should make transitioning over from Classic even easier.
[...]
The last internal discussion we had on this matter looked something like: new client released by mid-october. Immediately following would be a mass e-mail saying we are shutting down Classic in a month, here's how to install BOINC, etc. Then around mid-november, the switch is thrown.

- Matt

from http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=20511#171728

Soo... maybe by december Smile
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like they are still mostly on track! The latest from Matt Lebofsky:

Quote:
December 15th is the current target date. Have a big outage soon for a big step in the master migration database, and then when we're back up start sending out the mass e-mail saying it's time to start moving over.

- Matt

from http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=21951#186528

THE END IS NEAR! REPENT! BOINC!
BmfCb
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seti is down for now.
Quote:
The old SETI@home Classic project will stop issuing work on December 15, 2005. Anyone still running SETI@home Classic should deactivate it and install SETI@home/BOINC

Quote:
Today we started the big master database merge. This step is simple in essence: we are combining all the scientific data from SETI@home classic and SETI@home/BOINC into one big database. However, this is the culmination of many months of effort.

What happened during those months? Among other things, we had to migrate all the data off of one server onto another, find and remove redundant data, add new fields to old records and populate them, write and test software to merge databases while keeping all relational constraints intact... Basically a lot of cleanup, a lot of testing, and backing up the entire set of databases between every major step.

While this merge is happening, nothing can be updating either of the master databases. We shut off the splitters (which input new workunits into the database) and the assimilators (which input new signals). Over the weekend we created a backlog of about 2 million results, so this should keep the clients well-fed for most of this outage. The assimilator queue, of course, will grow significantly. When everything but the signals themselves have been merged, we may turn the splitters back on (at this point they won't screw up any relational constraints by adding new work to the mix). When the merge is completely done, everything will be turned back on, and the assimilator queue should quickly drain.

Right now science being done in SETI@home classic is redundant to the science in SETI@home/BOINC, so this will be the last of the big science merges. The classic project will be shut down before the end of the year.

We do hope to eventually place the master science database on a faster machine with bigger/faster disks. This will mean another outage, but it will be a simple unload/reload of the data (as opposed to a unload/reload/correct/merge).

Addendum (22:45 UTC): We hit a major snag when trying to merge rows which had columns of user-defined type. We'll back out of the merge so far and turn everything on for the evening, and probably try again from the beginning tomorrow morning.

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has finally happened.

SETI Classic is no more.

Quote:
On December 15, 2005 23:35 UTC, after 6 years of operation, Classic SETI@home sent out its last workunit.

Swngbaby
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the demise of S@H spurred me to finally switch to Boinc. ...my que had 42 work units to upload too! Sad

Ah well, I've joined the KWSN Rosetta team, so we'll see how it goes. I've kept my KWSN name of "KWSN_id8".

...ok, back to the long term lurk mode! Smile

Dale
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swngbaby wrote:
Well, the demise of S@H spurred me to finally switch to Boinc. ...my que had 42 work units to upload too! Sad

Ah well, I've joined the KWSN Rosetta team, so we'll see how it goes. I've kept my KWSN name of "KWSN_id8".

...ok, back to the long term lurk mode! Smile

Dale

Enjoy Rosetta as much as I do (queer look on my face as I type that, but just checked and still a good third place), and see you on the s@h leaderboard sometime.

Ni!
Fang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: