KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux - Doing silly things that remind me of Microsoft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Linux - Doing silly things that remind me of Microsoft. Reply with quote

Uhhh, I recently scrounged up a PIII-1000Ghz to fold with and I justified having the machine by designating it Linux-One. Yes I would go an innocent babe into the world of linux......

So here goes.

Managed to install knoppix to HD. Overclockix wouldn't install (Always saying you haven't partitioned the HD yet, even after doing so, just as it prompted me to do so. WTF. "Ball 1"

Having satisfied myself with a few hours of fooling with the linux box, installing FAH-Linux (For S*&Ts & Giggles) I left the machine to fold... it did about half the work on a FAH unit by the time I returned and did something foolish. Rebooted the O/S. Well the work the machine disappeared after the reboot. WHA!? What the heck..... "Strike 1!"

Installed a 512Mb Ram module..... Everything seemed ok...... Well except the GUI for Linux disappeared. Now I was gifted with command prompt linux in my home directory. Of course there was my FAH-Linux.exe file so I ran it again..... Well it ran alright but again the last units info again had vanished and a new unit begain loading again.
"Stike 2" Seems like the GUI failed because of more ram.... This is not windows like Wink

Why did my FAH-Linux info/work not get saved to the HD? This is knoppix installed to a HD not a CD. Anybody?

Linux DUM DUM.
Tony.
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure that the user name who is running FAH has read/write permissions on the Fah directory
be sure to run Fah from the directory yiou are saving the work in

i.e. (if fah is installed in /home/tony/fah)

cd /home/tony/fah
./FAH502Console-Linux.exe

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

Location: Danish kvadrant, Greater Copenhagen area, formerly of the Orion Beltway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ANSI.SYS | APPEND | ARP | ASSIGN | ASSOC | AT | ATMADM | ATTRIB
B BATCH | BOOTCFG | BREAK
C CACLS | CALL | CD | CHCP | CHDIR | CHKDSK | CHKNTFS | CHOICE | CLS | CMD | COLOR | COMMAND | COMP | COMPACT | CONTROL | CONVERT | COPY | CTTY
D DATE | DEBUG | DEFRAG | DEL | DELETE | DELTREE | DIR | DISABLE | DISKCOMP | DISKCOPY | DISKPART | DOSKEY | DOSSHELL | DRIVPARM
E ECHO | EDIT | EDLIN | EMM386 | ENABLE | ENDLOCAL | ERASE | EXIT | EXPAND | EXTRACT
F FASTHELP | FC | FDISK | FIND | FINDSTR | FIXBOOT | FIXMBR | FOR | FORMAT | FTP | FTYPE

G GOTO | GRAFTABL
H HELP
I IF | IFSHLP.SYS | IPCONFIG
J NONE
K KEYB
L LABEL | LH | LISTSVC | LOADFIX | LOADHIGH | LOCK | LOGON
M MAP | MD | MEM | MKDIR | MODE | MORE | MOVE | MSAV | MSD | MSCDEX
N NBTSTAT | NET | NETSH | NETSTAT | NLSFUNC | NSLOOKUP
O NONE
P PATH | PATHPING | PAUSE | PING | POPD | POWER | PRINT | PROMPT | PUSHD
Q QBASIC
R RD | REN | RENAME | RMDIR | ROUTE | RUNAS
S SCANDISK | SCANREG | SET | SETLOCAL | SETVER | SFC | SHARE | SHIFT | SHUTDOWN | SMARTDRV | SORT | START | SUBST | SWITCHES | SYS | SYSTEMROOT
T TELNET | TIME | TITLE | TRACERT | TREE | TYPE
U UNDELETE | UNFORMAT | UNLOCK
V VER | VERIFY | VOL
W NONE
X XCOPY
Y NONE
Z NONE

#ni-1
TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I've been very busy recently & haven't touched my Linux box. This is a good thing cause my frustration level has dropped down.

I was thinking about posting here with a remark something like. Problem solved I installed windows..... That's not the spirit of linux is it... So I didn't.

How do you find/change user rights anyway....

Tony.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chown and chmod
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with installing knoppix to the hard drive... however it does sound like it could be a permissions thing. Since knoppix is designed to run off of a CD which is obviously "read only" it could be that some of the directories don't have ANY write permissions unless you explicitly changed them while installing it onto your hard drive.

Also please note that while linux is considered by many to be a "better" OS, it is not a friendlier OS. If something goes wrong, you can fix it by mucking around in the configuration files on the commandline (as opposed to formatting the hard drive and re-installing as you would with windows) but unless you know what you are doing, you can make things worse. Smile Like pointers in C. They are powerful but that power means you can do a LOT more damage when you shoot yourself in the foot with them.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG wrote:
Also please note that while linux is considered by many to be a "better" OS, it is not a friendlier OS. If something goes wrong, you can fix it by mucking around in the configuration files on the commandline (as opposed to formatting the hard drive and re-installing as you would with windows) but unless you know what you are doing, you can make things worse. Smile Like pointers in C. They are powerful but that power means you can do a LOT more damage when you shoot yourself in the foot with them.

With great power comes great responsibility? Smile

And *nix *IS* user friendly. It's just picky about who can be it's friend. Smile
djsmiley2k
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh

Tried Knoppix, debian, suse, ubuntu.

All failing for one reason or another, but as far as i can read into it (being what some could call a XP pro (i can fix pretty much anything in windows) i think is the fact that my 6600 GT isn't supported yet.

I might get it working one day, but your all joked if any of you think this is ready for the mainstream users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: