KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seti@home outage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been having some data server problems for the last few days. I think it is fixed now. I've been keeping busy with einstein, predictor and now LHC so no worries here Smile
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems fixed yes.. ul and dl without problem.
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!
Just when you thought Seti was up and running again......

February 23, 2005
Update: a breaker blew and the power for the entire lab was off for several hours. Power returned at 23:30 UTC, but we will be dealing with fallout for a while - the project will probably be down all night and through tomorrow morning. More info in Technical News.

Ho hum! Back to those other projects.
Ni! Smile
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!
All the bloody, gorey details (eeeek!)

February 24, 2005 - 23:30 UTC
Update on yesterday's outage: We are still dealing with some database fallout. Most of the classic SETI@home systems are up - enough that we can serve workunits to users. However, BOINC is dead in the water until we get at least one database server up and running.
With the master database corrupted beyond repair, we turned all our attention to the replica. Its disks finished sync'ing last night, and after some file system checks the machine booted and mysql started just fine. A battery of tests revealed no corruption.. until we got to the result table. Of course, that's by far the biggest and most important table in the database. We are attempting to repair it now.

Assuming we can repair it with little or no data loss, we will then dump all the data from the replica back onto the master. If we're lucky, this will be done by tomorrow morning and we can start revving all the engines back up.

Please note that since it was a slower machine than the master, the data on the replica database server was about 30 minutes behind real time. We did try to limp both systems along to sync the replica data up even further but no dice. So, when we do get back on line it will be as if there was a half-hour hole in time during which all uploaded results were lost (and any user profile updates, message board postings, etc.). We sincerely apologize to all our users for this loss.

Court brought in a UPS from his personal server collection. So the master database will be protected while we scramble to purchase another. The database server was unprotected yesterday because is was in our lab, not in the data closet where all of our UPS's are. We were/are just weeks away from a data closet reorganization designed to make room for the DB server.

Ni! Sad
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!
I think someone has forgot to pay the electricity bill at Seti - down again Sad
News
February 28, 2005
Around 18:00 UTC we had another unexpected lab-wide power outage. The cause of these random failures is being investigated by campus, but all our systems/databases survived without any corruption. We will be down as we work to further protect ourselves. More info in Technical News.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this project at times seems as bad as Genome@Home will all these outages. Razz

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!
Latest from Seti (classic page not boinc)

March 1, 2005
Power Outage Update: Since the cause of the random power outages is still unknown, we are leaving the data server off during the evenings (users will not get workunits/send results at that time, and various web site facilities will not operate correctly). We can handle power outages during the day while we're at the lab, and are working towards a better system to handle outages at night. Meanwhile, campus is trying to diagnose and fix the problem (which effects the entire building - not just us).

Ho hum, now we know why everyone is joining "the search for Elbert"! Confused
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seti is down ?

I think that's a good thing as people won't be burning fossil fuels on such a useless project Razz .

Sincerely,

Not only stupid but also highly opinionated Cool ,

Sir Fart

#ni-1
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just like classic Genome.

Ni

#ni-1
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two SETI Boinc units that have been "uploading" for days, but still aren't ready to report. Wazzup with that? If I detach, will I lose those work units? Sacred computer cycles could be wasted!

I detached from LHC due to point/credit problems. I was donating 25% of computer time on two machines, but LHC provided only 6% of my total credit. Sacred computer cycles were being wasted!

Now Predictor is refusing to send work out again. So it looks like I'm only able to crunch Einstein and Climate Prediction at the moment.

C'mon BOINC, get it together!
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Landroid,

It sounds like you don't know how to BOINC very well Confused . Have you ever considered seeing a therapist that specializes in BOINCing Shocked ?

#ni-2
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid, do not detach! You will lose the work units if you do. If you check the technical news page, you will see that they have kept the project offline for very good reasons. As soon as the servers are brought back up (hopefully later today) those work units will get uploaded and reported.

Not sure what is up with predictor... I have several predictor work units sitting here ready to go. I'm also doing a bunch of LHC, credit problems be damned! The fact that everyone else is detaching just means I will advance in the ranks faster! Twisted Evil
Javapersona
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I have been very disappointed with SETI/BOINC. I was once its biggest proponent but now there are short regular outages and it takes longer and longer to recover from them. I strongly encourage everyone to crunch multiple projects. At one point I was as in the top 1500 woldwide in SETI but that is now slipping as I have throttled back my particiaption. I look forward to signing up for more projects as they come online.

SETI is "eki eki eki" #Cussing out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: