KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KWSN Honor Roll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: KWSN Honor Roll Reply with quote

I've had an idea in my head for some time to start a thread commemorating past members, or those who have moved on to other things and rarely check in. I'll get it started as best I can, but I'm going to need from the older Looneys do this properly.

Please post information and suggestions as you can, and I'll try to edit it into a single list.
Be aware that I may remove some "discussion" posts as I edit information into the list.

Last edited by Sir Hamster of Elderberry on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define Older......

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ender
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is the list ... or will be the list ... or at least it's a work in progress.

Here are some name I think belong here, and a bit of information about each in no particular order:

Caution: All this infomation comes my increasingly faulty memory. Please post corrections!

Lizard/Anole?/4D Lizard
Our original team founder. He maintain a team web page with daily updates (sort of a team blog before there were blogs) for several years. Still around on IRC the last I heard.

Sir Also Not Appearing In This Film
Sir Also is/was the original legendary shrubber. Up to sometime in 2000 he was the highest producer, and then he just sort of disappeared to parts unknown. He was responsible for a HUGE amount of the team's early production, which helped pushed us up into the top ten, further increasing KWSNi!'s visibility, popularity, and membership. His shrub total was so high he remained on top of our team list for a long time (years?) before eventually being displaced.

Ender
His Word Game is still around, and he is still known to check in at rare intervals. Last known to be teaching SCUBA diving lessons somewhere in Indonesia.

ACMTD
A bright young lad who create one of our original stats summarizing programs/pages. This poor fellow finished his PhD (call him Dr. ACmtd now Wink), got a job, got married, and moved off to New York. News! Smile

WSmith
The creator and administrator of our original bulletin board. Colonel Smith is IIRC a military hospital administrator and part-time martial arts teacher. He served us ably for several years before stepping down due to other time commitments. I attempted to contact him but received no reply.

The Migratory Coconuts
This conglomeration very much deserves to be here, but I am not qualified to write their history. However, jonnyv is, so I shall call upon his memory.

That's not nearly all, but all I have time for at the moments. Some other obvious names are:
Lissa (former administrator, designed some of our web pages).
MajorKong (married off to LadyKong, but we know you are still lurking - send your own bio! Wink Last known whereabouts = Texas
Menios (the original Science News poster). Last known whereabouts = Greece
7 of 9 (still shows up occasionally)
Crabbleboys (still shows up occasionally)
KWSN - S600SEL
kmwmtd (suggested by ACmtd)
Delta Farce
Sir Hazy (suggested by Sir Fart)
Greymoor
Muskrat
bpowe wrote:
There was Death Before AOL, Roger the Shrubber, Tim the Enchanter, Robert (dang I just can't remember his nick!) and his dad, Pader?,... Who was it that changed their nick to Q and created controversy with another team?

There are also some members of note who deserve to be on the list but are not exactly departed. With all due respect, these people can still write their own stories. Smile

Den Store Mester (Official Race Car Driver of KWSNi!)
Silly American Kanigit (still around if prodded with PM's) (no recent contact)
The Spirit
The Lovely Rachael
The GeneGnome
Sparky

Looney/Looneys vs. Loonie/Loonies (a topic rather than a person. Maybe this needs it's own thread? Wink)

Last edited by Sir Hamster of Elderberry on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:32 pm; edited 16 times in total
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Define Older......

good point. I'm thinking about people who used to frequent the board but aren't seen much anymore. IRC too, but I don't IRC so someone else would have to provide that information. It would be nice to list a range of dates when that member was active or most active when known. I'll try to jog my memory a little harder.

[edit] just sent a few PMs, and already an old-timer is lurking. Hi Andy! Smile

ni! i!u

Last edited by Sir Hamster of Elderberry on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Latch
Dutchubus
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what brought this idea to mind? Razz

#ni-1
The general rule about people on IRC seems to be: Attractive, Single, Mentally Stable... choose two.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:

ACMTD
A bright young lad who create one of our original stats summarizing programs/pages. This poor fellow finished his PhD (call him Dr. ACmtd now Wink), got a job, got married?, and moved off to New York I think.

Where? I shall hunt him down and force him back into the fold!

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Sir Latch
Dutchubus
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:

ACMTD
A bright young lad who create one of our original stats summarizing programs/pages. This poor fellow finished his PhD (call him Dr. ACmtd now Wink), got a job, got married?, and moved off to New York I think.

Where? I shall hunt him down and force him back into the fold!

Perhaps he moved to upstate NY. Why is it any time someone says NY around someone from NYC they assume it must be NYC? Razz Laughing Very Happy

#ni-1

*Edit*

Bah, he just HAD to live in Manhattan now didn't he? Mad
The general rule about people on IRC seems to be: Attractive, Single, Mentally Stable... choose two.

Last edited by Sir Latch on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACmtd
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, who'd have thought I'd be the main topic of conversation all these years later.

Yes, this message is coming to you from an undisclosed location in midtown Manhattan. I've been keeping a low profile, not just with SETI/KWSN, but the net in general, for the past few years. Moved to NYC, settled down, have a just-turned-3 daughter (who, incidentally, has a freakish grasp of numbers. One day she will write awesome stats programs), and after living my first 27-odd years with some major life-changing event always on the horizon (college, job, PhD, emigrating), I'm slowly getting used to just doing the same thing for the long term.

My main hangout these days is Flickr (http://flickr.com/photos/andyinnyc). While I wait for my little one to get used to the idea of posing for pictures, I try to learn the art of photography out on the streets of NYC. It almost makes the 3.5 hrs a day commute worthwhile...

Anyway, while we're doing shoutouts, where's kmwmtd these days? He can claim sole credit/blame for me joining KWSN in the first place...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Latch wrote:
Perhaps he moved to upstate NY. Why is it any time someone says NY around someone from NYC they assume it must be NYC? Razz Laughing Very Happy

#ni-1

*Edit*

Bah, he just HAD to live in Manhattan now didn't he? Mad

Tee hee. I actually hit his website and saw that he lives in the city, so there was no presumption!

Hi there ACmtd! I live in Queens, so we could be neighbors (as far as how far flung the rest of the forum residents are anyway)!

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Latch wrote:
So, what brought this idea to mind? Razz

#ni-1

Mind? You are giving me more credit than I deserve ... Wink

It's something I've been thinking about for a while. There have been some hoopy froods in this group over the years, and memory of their contributions tend to fade away over time (not much time either - it hasn't even been 10 years).
Sir Also is probably the biggest inspiration for this. He disappeared (for unstated reasons) about the time I first started SETI@Home and I never had any correspondence with him. He was responsible for a HUGE amount of the team's early production, which helped pushed us up into the top ten, further increasing KWSN's visibility, popularity, and membership. In other words, he help make this team a success, but only a few people remember he was ever here.

ACmtd wrote:
Anyway, while we're doing shoutouts, where's kmwmtd these days? He can claim sole credit/blame for me joining KWSN in the first place...

kmwmtd, now there's someone else we haven't heard from in a LONG time. I added him to the list. Someone ought to PM him too ...
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACmtd wrote:

kmwmtd, now there's someone else we haven't heard from in a LONG time. I added him to the list. Someone ought to PM him too ...

Ok, I can't chase him down....he is in England. Get Al Dente....or JonB, they are over there. Maybe they can get him after their feet dry off.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gloriously LOONEY idea...

AS for the Migratory Coconuts, I was a Newt-Come-Lately. (I never did get better).

I think JonnyV would be a better candidate to write the 'Nuts history.

While I personally don't participate as much as I used to, I do check in from time to time Uusually anonymously) to make sure the Looney Magnet is still functional. Interestingly enough as I type this I am wearing a "I fart in your general direction." t-shirt.

Now I better go see if I can find Simone - my sexiest Alpaca.

#ni-1

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Sir Latch
Dutchubus
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She Turned Me Into A Newt wrote:

Now I better go see if I can find Simone - my sexiest Alpaca.

#ni-1

Well, you're not going to find her with your head up there! Rolling Eyes Err... umm... I hope not anyway. Embarassed
bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my memory didn't suck quite so badly...

There was Death Before AOL, Roger the Shrubber, Tim the Enchanter, Robert (dang I just can't remember his nick!) and his dad, Pader?,... Who was it that changed their nick to Q and created contraversy with another team?

bp
Sir Latch
Dutchubus
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpowe wrote:

There was Death Before AOL, Roger the Shrubber, Tim the Enchanter, Robert (dang I just can't remember his nick!) and his dad, Pader?,... Who was it that changed their nick to Q and created contraversy with another team?

bp

Q... wasn't that Z or something originally... seems to me it was an N on its side. Confused
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rogues galleries - Mistajon's or Sir BaldyHeads - might have some pics of 'oldtimers' to jog your memory.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an old timer, but I sure feel old.
Hi ya oldtimers, some I know and some I don't

Sir Newt, you still looking good.
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpowe wrote:

bp

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Q , now there is a STORY there , Pink Cardigans might help (Maybe)

Merc Man is still around Wink

Regds Grizf

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]

Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... on further consideration my original plan of organization really stinks. When I have a chance I'll start a sticky thread for the Honor Roll itself, and keep this thread for discussion.

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them rolling in. I'm going to ask a bit more than that though, because I can't say much about some of these folks except "oh yeah ... I remember them ...". If you have ANY details than can be used, please post! Smile

So ... we need some person or persons to write up the story of "Q". Grizz? question
The Story of the Migratory Coconut? jonnyv?

Say ... where is Sir Fart anyway ... he should be a fountain of knowledge ... among other things. Wink

ni! i!u
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: