KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CJ] Why Can't I Own Canadians?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:
MajorKong wrote:
... It is, in my opinion, barely tolerable to discuss comparative politics and economic systems on this forum.

Oh give me a break. You LOVE this sort of arguement, and thrive on writing long responses that stir-up other people, especially people like me. That's OK - please don't stop - We love you for it. Smile

She Turned Me Into A Newt wrote:
It has been my experience that the membership here seems to be of WAY above average in the IQ department, and as such are usually more tolerant of differing ideas and ideals....

And we are all stunningly handsome too! Wink

ni! i!u

Now THAT is not true. Some among us are stunningly beautiful.

Wink

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorKong wrote:
What one has here is an attack on both the orthodox jewish beliefs AND, by implication, a lot of fundamentalist christian beliefs as well.

I think it ironic that the above statement is made on a Forum dedicated to revering and promoting things 'Monty Pythonesque", when the same people being openly extoled here, (Messrs. Chapman, Cleese, Gilliam, Idle, Jones & Palin) gave birth to "Life of Brian" which is viewed by many (both Jewish and Christian (plus several other assorted religions)) as outright Blasphemy.
MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

Location: In his mad-scientist lab working on yet another plan for World Domination(tm)!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:
MajorKong wrote:
What one has here is an attack on both the orthodox jewish beliefs AND, by implication, a lot of fundamentalist christian beliefs as well.

I think it ironic that the above statement is made on a Forum dedicated to revering and promoting things 'Monty Pythonesque", when the same people being openly extoled here, (Messrs. Chapman, Cleese, Gilliam, Idle, Jones & Palin) gave birth to "Life of Brian" which is viewed by many (both Jewish and Christian (plus several other assorted religions)) as outright Blasphemy.

There is a difference... Monty Python's Life of Brian is obviously meant as comedy. The original post of this thread is obviously meant as abusive, repressive hate-mongering against one person that happens to stand up for traditional values. Now I aint defending Dr. Laura any... I have refused to listen to her show now for several years due to her attitude. But, certain Christians (the fundamentalist ones) now suffer quite a bit of abusive repression from others in this country that have forgotten their roots: the faith, morality, and work-ethic of their forefathers (the very things which made the USA a great country once upon a time).

Yes, the original post offended me greatly. Yes, I *could* have censored it (but I didn't, and won't). I DO value the free and open exchange of ideas... But the author of that missive (and others like him/her) do not. They practice the worst of intolerance (the false tolerance they teach is INtolerant of any other belief/morality structure). I do NOT welcome this form of intolerant abuse. One of the founding principles of this nation is religious *freedom*. By attacking both orthodox jews and fundamentalist christians, this post does NOT advance the 'free practice of religion'.

I will say once again:

I neither find that missive funny, nor is it appropriate on this forum. Why not post it on some forum dedicated to religion, and discuss/advocate it there?

I also find it very ironic that the very people who condemned me for posting 'heavy' topics for discussion here are now condemning me for saying that this obviously 'heavy' topic does not belong here. Get a life, and pull your heads outta your backsides.

AMD AthlonII X3 450 / Intel Celeron M @ 1.3GHz
Dagger
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Den Store Mester wrote:
Cow_tipping wrote:
...The Canadians have only 1 neighbouring country, and who wants to have an American as a slave?? Shocked

Try counting your neighbouring countries once more, you missed at least one.

#ni-1

Missing Greenland

Da udder Canuck (West Coast)
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorKong wrote:
But, certain Christians (the fundamentalist ones) now suffer quite a bit of abusive repression from others in this country that have forgotten their roots: the faith, morality, and work-ethic of their forefathers (the very things which made the USA a great country once upon a time).

Yes, the original post offended me greatly. Yes, I *could* have censored it (but I didn't, and won't). I DO value the free and open exchange of ideas... But the author of that missive (and others like him/her) do not.

Get a life, and pull your heads outta your backsides.

Article 16 of The Constiution begins: "The free communication of thoughts and opinions, is one of the inviolable rights of man; and every person may freely speak, write, print, and publish, on any subject, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty:"

'Now just hold on." I hear some of you saying, "Those are not the words of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution." and you would be correct.
The passage quoted above is from Article 16 of 'The Constitution of Texas' signed in April 1833 http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/constitutions/text/cah3gp.html.
Ironically enough, the first words of 'The Constitution of Texas' are "In the name of God", but, the authors of that document failed to define "Which" or "Who's" God.

"Why do I bring this up." you may ask? (go on ask, I dare you).
Well, associated with the avatar of our colleague MajorKong is reference to "The Republic of Texas", a movement determined to return the State of Texas to it's pre-1865 status http://www.republic-of-texas.net/.
The point being that, to many Americans, a person or group promoting the secession of Texas from the Union may be looked on as 'seditious', 'treasonous', even 'blasphemous', but, I would not presume to take him to task for expressing his own view/opinion.
It also makes an interesting counterpoint to "the very things which made the USA a great country once upon a time" as stated by MK in the quote at the start of this message.

"We must bow to no institutions but our own." is an axiom which would appear to be a great slogan for people to live by. If you Google the preceeding quotation you will probably come up blank, but MajorKong should be able to tell us who made that quote and when.

Footnote:- the last line of the initial quote from MK's message "Get a life, and pull your heads outta your backsides" should have been directed, not the group as a whole, but to 'She Turned Me Into A Newt' in particular.
KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself find it somewhat sad that some of our belief systems are so ingrained into our concept of self and belonging and "raison d'etre" that when they are either challenged or in fact made fun of, it causes us actual personal wounds. How many armed conflicts have resulted from these wounds, I wonder?

One more observation; when my view of truth is presented in terms of "We're the only ones who are right and all y'all are wrong", it tends to generate fear in those that I have deemed to be "wrong"--and unfortunately fear usually leads to violence and repression.

I try to follow a policy of allowing all to express what they believe in as they choose, but I do get rankled when any group attempts to force another to adopt their belief system.

We should laugh as ourselves more... we all use that glass privy y'know.
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !! Guys/.Girls , this is GREAT !! keep it going (currently very busy but not to0 busy to read this stuff !)

When Grizz learns to wean/write/wrissten (the 3 wubbleyous) , he may/or not have an onion on this subject . Untill then I shalt feel the (need of)concept of this - Umm - Errr - differentiation of concrepts , and in so doing , be inna loop of dissbeliefe'life of Umm - Err - belive's/proofs/diss.
I once read a book that TOLD the reader that "Yadder-Yadder-Yadder , and more" was true . It went through several reprints . The last was VERY different to the first . So I read another book ( remember Grizz still learnig to wean here) and what do I find ? Yeah - choose the edition abnd CHOOSE your spell checker (Huh ?) So then Grizz lear'n't to Rite (Still weaning wemember?). Crickey , was I in TRUBBS !!! And the Book/s I hear you ask ?
Not the Biblicae (Most flavours(*)) , nor the other stuff in Alexandria (rest in pieces) or indeed most of the surviving "prose" from ANY controlling authority of History . (No Titles - no pack't pill) but/and/some (indeed) the "Constitution" words from those count'rys that field(*) the need to conjour them . (USA guys are mostly correct here with the intepretation of theirs - but still many - Umm - changes .Alas Texas , Hmmm(Y)) . Still the Bo0ok I hear you ask ?
Napiers Logs (look it up dummy)

They are mostly true .

Regds Grizz (RIP)

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cow_tipping
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Den Store Mester wrote:
Cow_tipping wrote:
...The Canadians have only 1 neighbouring country, and who wants to have an American as a slave?? Shocked

Try counting your neighbouring countries once more, you missed at least one.

#ni-1

Hey! Stop ruining my logic! (and eskimos don't count, they are out on a fishing trip) Mr. Green
KWSN - Den Store Mester
Princess

Location: Danish kvadrant, Greater Copenhagen area, formerly of the Orion Beltway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NI!

#ni-1
The Folding Taunter
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Who put the rednecks in charge?

Respectfully,
The Folding Taunter
MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

Location: In his mad-scientist lab working on yet another plan for World Domination(tm)!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

Article 16 of The Constiution begins: "The free communication of thoughts and opinions, is one of the inviolable rights of man; and every person may freely speak, write, print, and publish, on any subject, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty:"

'Now just hold on." I hear some of you saying, "Those are not the words of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution." and you would be correct.
The passage quoted above is from Article 16 of 'The Constitution of Texas' signed in April 1833 http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/constitutions/text/cah3gp.html.

I believe that, upon careful reading of that article, you will find that it means the same thing as the relevant parts of the 1st amendment to the US Constitution. The doctrine of 'no prior restraint'.... Namely that no one can stop you from speaking, writeing, printing, or publishing anything you wish (except as defined by the SCOTUS VERY LIMITED circumstances: national security, etc.). However, along with 'no prior restraint' comes responsibility for the consequences of your communication. Just because you CAN say something, does not mean that saying it is wise. Nasty little legal concepts such as libel and slander come to mind. The govt. may not be able to stop you from communicating a damned stupid thing... But your backside may land in boiling water AFTER you have said it.
Quote:
being responsible for the abuse of that liberty

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

Ironically enough, the first words of 'The Constitution of Texas' are "In the name of God", but, the authors of that document failed to define "Which" or "Who's" God.

Try looking on any piece of US money (paper or coin). You will find the word 'God' used in the exact same way.
Quote:
In God We Trust

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

"Why do I bring this up." you may ask? (go on ask, I dare you).
Well, associated with the avatar of our colleague MajorKong is reference to "The Republic of Texas", a movement determined to return the State of Texas to it's pre-1865 status http://www.republic-of-texas.net/.
The point being that, to many Americans, a person or group promoting the secession of Texas from the Union may be looked on as 'seditious', 'treasonous', even 'blasphemous', but, I would not presume to take him to task for expressing his own view/opinion.
It also makes an interesting counterpoint to "the very things which made the USA a great country once upon a time" as stated by MK in the quote at the start of this message.

Hahah. Try "pre-1846" status. Wink According to the Articles of Union between the Republic of Texas and the United States of America (effective in 1846), Texas had the explicit RIGHT to, among other things, leave the union should the Texas Legislature so decide, and solely at THEIR decision (no action by USA govt. required to approve it). The Supreme Court of the USA, in a decision near the end of the War of Northern Aggression, abrogated this right. This begs the questions:

1. If the Articles of Union were legal and binding upon both sides, therefore having the status of a treaty between two soverign nations as far as the US Consitiution is concerned, by what authority did the SCOTUS declare that provision null and void. Treaties with foreign nations are co-equal with the US Constitution in this respect.

2. If the Articles of Union WERE declared to be null and void, by what right then did ANYONE in the USA assume that Texas was part of the USA either before or after the declaration?

3. Since there is then doubt as to the legitimacy of Texas' membership in the USA from the start, what then is Texas' current legal status? Is it not then a foreign nation under occupation by a US military force? Wink

On another note, The Republic of Texas won its independance from Mexico in 1836. We fought a war with Mexico because one certain dictator (one Generalissmo Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna) siezed power in Mexico City, and abrogated key provisions of the Mexican Constitution of 1824. Guess which one was the MAJOR abrogation?? Religious Freedom.

The Republic of Texas was founded on the same principles that what became the USA was founded on 50 years earlier... Liberty, Morality, Faith, and a Work Ethic. It seems that the people of Texas are not as far gone down the path of ruin as the rest of the USA... You people have a 50 year head-start on us in the race to decadence.

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

"We must bow to no institutions but our own." is an axiom which would appear to be a great slogan for people to live by. If you Google the preceeding quotation you will probably come up blank, but MajorKong should be able to tell us who made that quote and when.

This one took me a while to find...
So-called "President Daniel Miller" of the Republic of Texas on January 30, 2004 at 12:52PM CST

Bahhhh...

I am NOT affiliated with the current 'Republic of Texas' movement. The Republic of Texas is an idea... a concept... NOT an actuality (yet). The time for Texas to return to the table of Soverign Nations has not arrived, nor may it ever. The Republic of Texas is a state of mind... Yes, we Texans hold ourselves in an arrogant way above the rest of the people in the USA... For GOOD reason. We hold ourselves to a higher standard of moral behavior. We hold ourselves to a higher standard of traditional values. Our history... When confronted by a superior army (Santa Anna and damn near the entire regular Mexican Army) during OUR war for independance, we stood our ground and died for the cause (to the last man... and it STILL took the THOUSANDS of members of the well-trained and supplied regular Mexican Army 13 days to wipe out a pitiful couple hundred badly trained and poorly supplied irregular-army Texans in a broken-down old mission-fort with holes in the walls). General Washington was overly fond of the phrase 'Run Away!' in similar circumstances during YOUR war for independance. And you guys never even faced King George III and the bulk of the British Army either.... Wimps! You guys didn't 'win' so much as simply BORE the british to death... We caught Santa Anna (LITERALLY) with his pants down at the battle of San Jacinto and took him prisioner... Its AMAZEING what that old boy agreed to just to save his pitiful hide. Laughing God Bless the 'Yellow Rose' of Texas! And ahh... the sins of not taking Texans SERIOUSLY. In the middle of broad daylight, on a penninsula of land with SWAMP on 3 sides, the Mexican Army takes a siesta, while 'El Presidente" of Mexico (Santa Anna) retires to his tent to diddle a local woman. HAHAHAHAHAH! General (Later President of Texas) Sam Houston saw his opportunity, and took it. The rest is history. 21 April, 1836.

Quote:

A panel on the side of the monument at San Jacinto today underscores the importance of the battle after more than a century and a half of reflection: "Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the States of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."

Texas is only one of TWO states of the USA to have been independant nations BEFORE joining the union... The 2nd one (Hawaii) got itself conquered first and turned into a territory... The US military didn't conquer TEXAS until about 20 years AFTER we joined (when we said 'screw this... we are outta here!'). Is our arrogance justified? In actuality maybe not... But we Texans are conceited enough to think so...

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

Footnote:- the last line of the initial quote from MK's message "Get a life, and pull your heads outta your backsides" should have been directed, not the group as a whole, but to 'She Turned Me Into A Newt' in particular.

That might have been a little hasty of me to type that... I got angry... Sorry. Embarassed

MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN_hgs wrote:

I try to follow a policy of allowing all to express what they believe in as they choose, but I do get rankled when any group attempts to force another to adopt their belief system.

Dude, that is EXACTLY the problem. The more orthodox/fundamentalist believers in God/G_d/YHVH are being FORCED to give up their beliefs by today's secular society, or face extreme riducule and repression. This isn't right.

KWSN_hgs wrote:
How many armed conflicts have resulted from these wounds, I wonder?

Dang near ALL of them, at least those in the Western Tradition of Civilization. Sad, isn't it?

KWSN_hgs wrote:
One more observation; when my view of truth is presented in terms of "We're the only ones who are right and all y'all are wrong", it tends to generate fear in those that I have deemed to be "wrong"--and unfortunately fear usually leads to violence and repression.

Yep.. This is true. However, the USA was founded by a bunch of people, most of whom would NOW be considered to be highly 'fundamentalist' in their religious beliefs. This did not seem to cause much trouble until what had been the minority of Secular Humanists took over the country and became the modern 'liberal, left-wing' near-majority. For years, the conservative, religious crowd failed to object and stand up for traditional values for fear of being labeled bigots (or worse). Now, when the fundamentalist crowd has woken up to the changes in our institutions that the Secular Humanists have engendered, it is really too late to halt the slide into what they consider perdition. They have no real way out of the box, and will tend to become highly... volitile. THIS is why I objected to the original 'anti-Dr. Laura' post... Not because I agreed with one side or the other (I DO agree with one of the sides, but that is irrelavent), but because I saw no real way to avoid a bunch of emotionally charged flame-fests should someone from one camp or the other start one. This is why my first response was 'this isn't funny, nor is it appropriate in this forum'. Later posts got my Irish up, in spite of what I had intended originally.
Embarassed

MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Folding Taunter wrote:
Hey! Who put the rednecks in charge?

Respectfully,
The Folding Taunter

You are a fine one to talk... From the looks of your 'photo', not only is your neck red, but virtually your entire HEAD is red...

Let he who is without a rouge tint about the head and shoulders cast the first stone!!!

Wink Wink Wink #ni-1

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whheeee!! This has been fun and no-one lost an eye. #Crazy #Crazy

I get the impression that this thread has just about run it's course and that we all agree to disagree. #Bad Talk

I suggest that all involved get together for a very large round of PGGBs #Beer , but, that this party should be held in the Basement of The Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. #2gunfire

Wait a minute, I'm getting an ICQ message. #Scramble

It was from Paul Reubens, he seems to have it on good authority that The Alamo doesn't have a Basement, but then he also started muttering something about bicycles not being allowed in cinemas in Sarasota, Florida!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Colonel
Grunt
Grunt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite right. I've noticed a tendency for this thread to get rather silly. Now I do my best to keep things moving along, but I'm not having things getting silly. Now, let's have a good clean healthy outdoor thread. Get some air into your lungs.

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Well.
A new looney joins the ranks (Colonel) and his first post lets us all have it with both barrels.
Bloody cheek!
Keep up the good work & welcome.
She Turned Me Into A Newt
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Sir CadCam!

Get >MY< head out of my backside!?!?!?!?

Well I never!

Hrmmmphhh!!!

Oh, you meant my avatar... Embarassed

Sorry. Laughing
-----------------------------------------------
But on the subject of this first post...

MK, you have missed the point entirely. This post is not attacking "both the orthodox jewish beliefs AND, by implication, a lot of fundamentalist christian beliefs as well". It is simply pointing out that it is LUDICROUS to take everything in the King James version of the bible as literal. I don't think you will find a single Rabbi, Priest, Preacher, or Bible scholar that takes every passage in the KJ version as literal.

And I would guess that YOU certainly don't. If you do, please don't take this as an attack.

Take the post for what it is, an obvious attempt to HUMOURSLY point this out.

If lovin' ewe is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
MajorKong
Ozzy Fudd
Ozzy Fudd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She Turned Me Into A Newt wrote:

MK, you have missed the point entirely. This post is not attacking "both the orthodox jewish beliefs AND, by implication, a lot of fundamentalist christian beliefs as well". It is simply pointing out that it is LUDICROUS to take everything in the King James version of the bible as literal. I don't think you will find a single Rabbi, Priest, Preacher, or Bible scholar that takes every passage in the KJ version as literal.

And I would guess that YOU certainly don't. If you do, please don't take this as an attack.

Take the post for what it is, an obvious attempt to HUMOURSLY point this out.

Its a bit more than that. Takeing some of the 'history' and 'prophecy' as non-literal parable is one thing. Its something else to take The Law as non-literal. Do not assume you know the extent of my orthodoxy (or lack thereof). Your assumption WILL bite you in the backside.

That anti-Dr. Laura missive that Sir Cadcam was quoteing quotes its attacks on her DIRECTLY from The Law... If one assumes that The Law is non-literal, then the entire foundation of the Jewish faith, the Christian Faith, and the Moslem Faith is shattered, for all three (at least the orthodox branches thereof) maintain that The Law was delivered by God/G_d/Allah DIRECTLY AND VERBATEUM to Moses as an absolute standard of morality.

By saying that The Law is non-literal, you have attacked the beliefs of EVERY member of the three 'Peoples of The Book'. Is this REALLY what you wish to do? Remember, I have said that this is one heck of a touchy subject and is not really appropriate for this forum. You are venturing into the VERY territory that I warned about. Now that you have offended all the true adherents of three of the world's Great Religions, what do you wish to do for an encore??? Why not give offending the Hindus and the Buddists a try, or perhaps some of the shamanistic 'nature religions' of the Native Americans or Africans??? Hmm??? You probably don't want anyone to feel neglected, do you??

#Mad #Mad #Mad

KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm probably gonna get in trouble again, but 'What the hey.'

Again, to preface this item... "This message is not intended to enflame any deeply held beliefs of any reader of this forum, it is intended to express a personal point of view and to hopefully shed some light on a subject which may not have been considered by many of the members."
May explode if heated. Recycle were applicable. If ingested, call a physician immediately.

I am fairly certain that not many members of this forum have had an opportunity to talk seriously with an agnostic or atheist.
1. Agnostics and atheists (A&As) don't have nice fancy places with spires and bell-towers where they congregate so that believers can come to find details about non-believers.
2. A&As don't produce programs to be shown at 3:00 am on the local PBS cannel.
3. A&As do not have the wherewithall to publish glossy brochures extolling the virtues of their (non)beliefs, (this is mostly because A&As cannot become a registered charity), also, because of item 2. above, we cannot beseech little old ladies to send us their last $20.
4. A&As do not come to your door, at the most inconvenient times, to attempt to convert you the their (non)beliefs.

Once again, it's us poor agnostics and atheists who get the short end of the stick.
Everyone seems to have feelings for or appears to take the side of one religion or another, but for those that do not have a unswerving belief in an all-seeing, omnipotent deity, our sensibilities are ignored.

This is where the hornets nest gets kicked.
The bible, be it the King James (1611 CE), the Tyndale version (1526 CE), or the Hebrew bible (1280 BC to 460 CE) is a collection of journals, writing, stories and lore handed down over the centuries and since well before the vast majority of people could write.
These documents, which have been compiled over many centuries, by a multitude of authors, are regarded by 'Christians' as the 'one book'.
The Torah, the Quoran, the Tipitaka and the Vedas, to name but a few, are the equivalent's in each of their respective religions, and, are all collections of similar stories and legend, often handed down in oral form and possibly embelished or adjusted to suit.
My point is that these are for the most part 'story books'. By the time most of these writings were commited to paper (or stone/papyrus) the originator was long dead and what was enscribed was the story as handed down.

This was the point of the original letter, to show that people will take far too literally the content of a book, and in the case of the bible, a book which it is very difficult, if not impossible, to verify the content.

On the 4 occasions I have been a witness in a court case, I have been asked to 'Swear on the bible' to tell the truth.
How can I, in all good concience, swear to tell the truth whist holding a book which 'I' believe to be, at best, filled with half-truths and fairy-tales.
Would I not be better to swear on a copy of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
At least the content of that book is infinitely more verifiable as true.

OK, as I disapear down the road, the swarm of hornets is gathering for the attack. Bbbbzzzzzz.
TonyH Cow Catipult Cptn
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Sir CADCAM wrote:

1. Agnostics and atheists (A&As) don't have nice fancy places with spires and bell-towers where they congregate so that believers can come to find details about non-believers.
etc.

Man this deep! I've never thought of this and will be sure to stuff it down the throat of my next unsuspecting debatee!

*** I put a toothpick in a small bottle and asked god to break it. ***

I specifically asked if it could break it some time soon and not to have it rot away in say 3,211 years or something cause I'll probably forget about it by then. I also ruled out act of human aggression such as the BOMB or Bubba coming over and mistaking it for the last tooth pic and picking fish out of his front teeth.
Ideally speaking I would find the tooth pic broken with a little note from God saying something like...

"Sorry about the toothpick however, you asked for it." Or...

"Sorry about the toothpick, here is where you can find your favorite dinky car you lost at the age of 10" Or....

"Sorry about the toothpick, ah heck sorry I've not talked to you ever! I know I used to spread myself around a lot more, talking out loud to hundreds of people and stuff always got the fans going, but hey since you guys came up with the TV thing!? I really love Lucy, I mean she was good on earth and all, but in heaven?! WOW! She is just that much better." Or...

"Sorry about the toothpick, please take this note to the U.N. it'll set things straight. On they way out just when everyone is forgetting what you read or how to screw it up, I'll show up. I've got your back for real buddy, I'm not sending junior again, what a mess! No more of the BS God works in mysterious ways stuff either, man that's been milked!"

Tony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Brother Maynard's Pizzeria and Library of Ancient Wisdom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: