KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD Opteron V AMD MP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

MP or Operton
MP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Operton
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Niether you flash Bugger
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Sir MK+1's option (#4) or O'Farty allowed to vote
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: AMD Opteron V AMD MP Reply with quote

Grizz has been for some time thinking of building another dual box . Rolling Eyes

Late last year the choosy was only the AMD MP 2800 on cost/perfomance grounds , but a dying tech spec/product .
Now (March 2004) the AMD Opteron CPU is ALLMOST viable .
This translates as £501 MoBo CPU combo for the Opteron 240 1.4 Gig/MSI K8T setup
Or £482 for the AMD MP2800+/MSI K7D combo setup

(Memory prices for now to be ignored as I will have both reg DDR 400 and Reg PC 2100 to experiment with)

If I spend , spend , spend on an Opteron 248 2.2 Gig setup , it JUMPS to another £968 on the MSI K8T setup Shocked Shocked

However , the 240 CPU is no slouch being ~ the same as a Xp 2400 in single CPU setup (various reviews) .

Next moth Grizz will order the Opteron setup (maybe the 242 will be cheaper then ?)

Views please Regds Grizz. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's kind of a bad time to buy as Intel and AMD are in the midst of sharpening their knives for the next battle coming up.

Multiprocessor fans are gonna have some new choices from both vendors, AMD's newly packaged Opterons, and Intel's need to respond (with new Xeon's, Prescott etc.) to the success of the Opteron are gonna shake things up. All that, and the new PCI-X standard (replacing PCI) & DDR-2 memory will drive CPU, memory, video cards and Motherboard prices into flux as new versions become available.

I think the real deals are yet to be had. I think 1 month will be too soon. But you're a loony so your timing is perfect Cool .

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1266038
Shades
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<- will be purchasing an amd64bit system soon. Considering dual opteron w/watercool-overclock. But have budget decisions as well. If you build, leave me a few tips.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: