KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings, Fellow Knights!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> New and Departing Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed in Seattle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Greetings, Fellow Knights! Reply with quote

Hi, all

My apologies for dropping in like this, I was the guy shining the flashlight from the SETI outpost board. All is well.. mail server restarted successfully, the banninator filters were cleaned out, and my account is set up. Thanks for all the help, Sir Knights.

As for me, I'm Ed Moran, a retired technician living in Bellingham, WA., a coastal college town up near the Seattle-Vancouver border. I worked in Silicon Valley, mostly in contract and project-based gigs, ~20 jobs over 35 years. I moved up to the Canadian border when Bush was elected, worked odd jobs and recently completed a degree at WWU in tech journalism.. and now I'm bored.

All this time I've been crunching.. err.. shrubbing away quietly in the background, I have some SETI classic credits around here somewhere, and now that I have more free time I'm looking deeper into BOINC. While at Western I worked as a student developer in their web dev. department and now I'm pretty handy with WP and Drupal. As I learn about boinc I'm slowly building up a directory site.

I'm new to teams and the like, so I may ask some inane newbie questions for a while. And some not-so-inane newbie questions, too, boinc is a complicated universe and there's quite a bit going on out there.

Well.. that's about it.. I'm here for questions, ask away!
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ED
We're glad you made it. Whew!

Must have been a bumpy ride. #ni-1
Sir Cracked of the Mind
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only true llama song....he! he!
#ni-1

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama

Clark
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

It can be a bit #Shocked in here.

Any contributions to the Bacon thread in the Gorge of Eternal Peril section greatly received.

Seriously it's a great place this. I mentioned I'd have to stop shrubbing because of a slow computer, next thing I knew I had a fellow Kniggit offering me one of his spares for free!!! Sir Al Dente - I feel obliged to namecheck him.

We're friendly, just watch out for the Icky-Icky-Icky-Ptang-Zoop-Boing!

And finally

#ni-1

Badges:
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcoming welcomes!
Watch out for the witch at Sici -whatsit ... and Ol' Ratty on the old domain.
Ni!
#ni-1
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
Ed in Seattle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!

I know nothing of the Witch of Sici-whatsit, Sir Buddly, rest assured I shall exercise due caution and care. I haven't seen or heard any icky-icky-ptang-zoop-boing yet, either, but I think I know what you mean.. rebranding usually leads to.. costing more shrubbery.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been distracted by a new toy..

I'm lucky enough to live in a town w/ a 15K-student university and this year's annual student migration has just ended. It's an explosion of move-outs and move-ins where students jettison various small appliances, light furniture, etc. to lighten the trip home. College students have a notoriously poor sense of thrift.

The hunt was very good this year - a 20w receiver w/ a pair of bookshelf speakers, a very nice toaster, a wheelchair, an *unused* 1.5 liter coffee press.. and a PC that boots! Hooray!

The PC is a 7 year old gaming box:
- 700w power supply
- ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard (link) w/ a 3.4Ghz AMD-965 4-core processor (link) and AMD785G chipset (link)
- 4GB of memory
- 1TB drive with a 3000-sector pothole that triggers a 'your drive is dying, F1 to resume' pause on boot. oh, well.
- Win7 Pro, Photoshop 6, HalfLife 2 and Portal, OpenOffice and a little program that shifts your monitor's color temp w/ the time of day.

An old NVidia card was removed, unfortunately, but that's ok. It looks like it was used for ~3 years then banished to the garage (pine needles and cobwebs in the case), the fins and grills are clean. After a couple of days of bashing in updates and clearing things out, well, it's been running SkyNet POGS tasks for a couple of days now.

That makes a third machine in my local farm, and since it looks like the new addition is running just fine I'll be dedicating it to boinc. Another ~10 Gflops for the cause.

Thanks for the kind welcome, Sir Knights, and I'll see you in the threads,

Sir Edward the Accumulator
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see thread at http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18653 for the terror at Sici whatsit.
#ni-1
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
Ed in Seattle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: I've been to the land of Sici-whatsit Reply with quote

First, sorry for the tl;dr above, my enthusiasm took the better of me. It's a nice machine for 2009, the machine only shrubs 3.3Gf at ~150w.. a bit to omuch. There is a 500Gb blob of bootleg movies, tho, so now I have a home entertainment system and precision 150w space heater.

Anyway

I have been to the land of Sici-whatsit, and I have seen the terror that lies beyond.. the horror of which you speak.

My mind was enveloped into a world of gray and blue, and transported as to a site from 1995 whispering of dreams and humanity and the folks at milky way in shitty arial font. I could not go back, the function was disabled. I was trapped, disoriented, windows tabs began to bloom across the top of my browser when I finally, desperately, returned here.

Their ways are strange to me, however, their powers are great and their kung-fu is mighty. 1.153 teracredits is, as we say here in America, "not bad.. pretty good, actually". Led by a man who has assumed the name "Steven" and sorceress known as 'Moon", they remain silent in their quest. Their message boards remain silent, their followers mute and cowed.

I suggest we taunt them a second time.
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I've been to the land of Sici-whatsit Reply with quote

Ed in Seattle wrote:
...I have been to the land of Sici-whatsit, and I have seen the terror that lies beyond.. the horror of which you speak.
My mind was enveloped into a world of gray and blue, and transported as to a site from 1995 whispering of dreams and humanity and the folks at milky way in shitty arial font. I could not go back, the function was disabled. I was trapped, disoriented, windows tabs began to bloom across the top of my browser when I finally, desperately, returned here.
... Led by a man who has assumed the name "Steven" and sorceress known as 'Moon", they remain silent in their quest. Their message boards remain silent, their followers mute and cowed.
I suggest we taunt them a second time.

Ok, so you want to return and taunt the WICKID "S".
If you don't have experience combating this evil, perhaps some assistance can be purchased.
Every good computer needs a "Fiery Wall of Protection".
Learn more about it at: http://www.luckymojo.com/fierywall.html

If you need help, don't ask me. I am very busy Running Away. Rolling Eyes

Ed in Seattle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'l follow your advice and watch the terror of S from afar.

I journeyed the land of Lucky Mojo, an amazing place. It has a wondrous selection, a 3" cauldron for cell phones/tablets, only $8.50. Cast iron, tho, so I'll have to dig out my old degausser. Wands with tips in clear and rose quartz, 'amethistine' (they're cheaper), and jasper. Basic stainless steel wand is $5. Plenty of spellcasting references, candles upon candles, the list goes on. A fancy 'mancy shop. (heh heh heh) If they're also out of copper mirrors - that would be a scrying shame. (heh heh heh)

I discovered that Forestville, Calif., home of Lucky Mojo, is less than 20mi fron Sebastapol, the home of O'Reilly Publications - our own alchemal references. I imagine they share a common ley line, and I wonder if they share spells, rituals, priests and acolytes, etc. Highway 116 must be a real experience around the solstices and equinoxes.

This could come in handy - we have an equinox coming up and the Fiery Wall of Protection distro comes with a St. Michael's Holy Card. Michaelmas is Sept 27th, the equinox is on the 22nd, so I think I'll run updates on the weekend of the 24-25th.

I must return to the farm, one of my poor tablets has flattened itself - the charger can't keep up with 75% load, time to try out 50%.
KWSN SpongeBob SquarePant
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!

You have pine needles and cobwebs! I wish I had that kind of firepower!

SBSP

Also the LLama song is sung in the tune of:

Old McDonald Had a Dog and Ni! Oh was his name 'O.

Or if you are from the 70's :

It is also appropriate to sing Michael McDonald (No relation to the Old Farmer)

Llamo Be there...

<br><br>
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=e4befed74f2fd0e20845d7958a1ffbbe&cols=3
Ed in Seattle
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!

Pine needles and cobwebs - the elemental forces! Great to harness and fun to play with, water and enchanted metal sound like a tricky combo to work with, tho. I'm lazy, I think from now on I'll just order out of Lucky Mojo.

The Grail is taunting me a second time.. Guanacos are better than llamas for high altitude work, the Earth is banana-shaped, the cartoon peril deep within the Cave of Caerbannog, and its' our job to sample as much peril as we can.

Thanks for the kind introductions, everyone.. I shall return to wandering through the threads and learning the Ways of Ni!
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed in Seattle wrote:
Ni! ... I shall return to wandering through the threads and learning the Ways of Ni!

Three quick pointers:
1. Perhaps you might wish to review some of the material HERE
2. DON'T let your Llama drink your PGGB.
3. Keeping the gate closed is no guarantee that the goat will remain inside.
4. Shalt thou not count.
5. Is right out.

When in doubt, seek an admin.
They are professionals and can drink you under the table.

#ni-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> New and Departing Members All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: