KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk about stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Let's talk about stats Reply with quote

Does anyone here still use the KWSN stats site? I haven't so much as looked at it in... umm... years? It just keeps running all by itself, amazingly. But it is missing all kinds of projects and would probably take some effort to be able to handle too many more projects. Also, looking at the web server stats, it looks like when we lost kwsn.net, traffic to stats fell by 50% so a lot of people probably already think it went offline.

Anyway, the bill for the KWSN server is due again. Really the only reason we need dedicated hardware is the stats. Switching to a "cloud server" as they call it, would mean paying 1/10th the price and it could still run the forums and lunatics without breaking a sweat. We're currently still running on money that we got by putting those little text ads at the bottom of the stats and the forum for a couple of years. If we switch to a cheaper option, that money would last us for another several years.

So I'm thinking it is probably time to retire the stats. I was the first one to write a cross-project BOINC stats website but others have since far surpassed my efforts with the stats and the multi-project account managers and whatnot.

Thoughts? Shrubberies?
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, I miss ours. They have been running on their own, but not well. There is a lot of things not correct in the stats. I used to use them nearly exclusively. I personally liked the way ours worked over others and would not mind seeing it come back in full force.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it retire in peace. The money can be put to better uses (like another shrubber - or tacos). Just my .3 cents (inflation)
sir spuddly buddly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is going to tke a lot of time and energy to update and keep up to date the stats then I think it would just as good with a webpage of links to al projects and their stats webpages.

Save the money and let Ni chug along with some Seti work sounds good to me.

#ni-1
Click every day at http://naturarvet.se/en/ to save a forest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: