KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASICs U3v.2 Antminer and Bitcoin Utopia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: ASICs U3v.2 Antminer and Bitcoin Utopia Reply with quote

Bitmain Antminer U3

I am late to Distrubitive Computing (2 years). I joined Bitcoin Utopia last summer but was thrown a huge number of files that were not for my setup as soon as I attached the program to BOINC Manager but figured it all out and ran the CPU on it for a few days.
I stopped doing the BCU after the initial, (mildly confusing) start and decide to wait for different hardware.
Now that Bitcoin Utopia has matured a bit and is supporting other BOINC projects I have an interest in helping out.

I am running BOINC Manager 7.4.42 (x64) -on- Windoz 7 Pro x64 (sp1) -using- an AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz CPU -with- one ATI/AMD HD 4870 video card which happily does GPU double precision apps for projects that support it like Milkyway@Home and works fine on the Bitcoin Utopia GPU app. as well.

I have the Bitmain Antminer U3 (v2)
I read all through the Bitcoin Utopia forum quite a few times over a week and tried my hand at constructing the xml files I may or may not have needed but ended up totally confused about which XML files I needed and exactly what should be in each one where they should actually go in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.bitcoinutopia.net_bitcoinutopia folder.

Sooooo... I really needed help with: 1. the content and placement of these XMLfiles, and, 2. advise on using my shiney new U3 and info on which files I should get for it and which will be sent with the cgminer WU from BCU? ... *e.g. Do I get my own "cgminer-run-windows-20150107.zip" (or similar) file to have cgminer-4.9.0, or does BitcoinUtopia send that with the app?
I got help from NATE1 through PM's and postings in the Bitcoin Utopia forum. Over 5 days of pulling hair out, (we each pulled out some), was able to finally make it run.
What I learned, I will share here.

Sir John of New Hampster a.k.a. JumpinJohnny

June 30 - EDIT: Bitcoin Utopia has now updated all their WU for the 20+ ASICs (the U3 is one). All these xml files and extra steps are nop longer needed. They are all running cgminer 4.9.2 and the U3 is now "Plug & Play"

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=596

There's a bunch of info for you in this thread. Might be a good starting point.
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankton wrote:
http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=596

There's a bunch of info for you in this thread. Might be a good starting point.

yes, Thanks. I've been studying that thread and read most of the recent posts in that forum all week... as well as trying to construct the XML files. There is so much conflicting info due to hardware and software types and changes that I could not figure it out and, indeed failed miserably.
Now that I'm getting the new U3 I thought I would ask KWSN here for specific help as it was suggested in the Bitcoin Utopia forum to ask your TEAM for assistance. That's why I posted here as well as there.

EDIT:
(First attempt after several days of study.)
It got delivered this afternoon so I spent about 6 hours with it,
BUT... Still no workie. I tried real hard to set it up and place proper files with correct content in the right places and followed all the suggestions and directions... but Bitcoin Utopia won't give me work for it Sad
I could really use some hand holding,,, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. #Mad

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still no luck
have been trying very hard
have yet to complete an ASIC 20+GH/s WU
spent about 40 hours on it so far.
It's really pretty and the fan is basically quiet.
I also have pretty blue lights on the powered USB hub.

Edit: (3 days into continuing frustrations)

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Thu May 14, 2015 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give a run down of what you have done so far including location and contents of any xml files you made/modified? All hardware connections/anything else you have done so far?
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do a complete uninstall and re-install of BOINC and carefully clean up all the tidbits.
IT's ALIVE !!!

14 May 2015, 0:11:20 UTC Completed and validated 1,200,000.00 cgminer (Campaign #4) (for 20+GH/s ASICs)

(That's one million, two hundred thousand Coconuts for 25 minute WU.)

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to pick one of these up. That's a ton of shrubs! Well done! #ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it use an actual full core or does boinc manager just say it does? What OS are you using it on? I also read in a multiple reviews that the USB cable and power brick that get shipped with the U3 are junk and should be replaced. Did you do so or are you using what came with it? The reviews said the power brick overheats and the usb cable causes dropouts in communication.
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankton wrote:
Does it use an actual full core or does boinc manager just say it does? What OS are you using it on? I also read in a multiple reviews that the USB cable and power brick that get shipped with the U3 are junk and should be replaced. Did you do so or are you using what came with it? The reviews said the power brick overheats and the usb cable causes dropouts in communication.

* BOINC mgr. says it's using 0.05 CPU but I understood that each U3 really needs a core all to it's self. The U3 can be throttled down to cool the psu brick by adjusting a variable in the command line of the app_info.xml file to whatever under or over clock you want.
Suggested running freq.250-volt.800 setting makes the brick a bit warm so throttling it down a bit by using freq.225-volt.750 will cool both the U3 and the psu.
I put the psu on a two short pieces of copper pipe and pointed a USB fan at it and set the U3 on a 4x4 piece of 1/4" metal raised 1/2" off the desk with 2 pieces of wood. (the U3 heat sink is on the bottom and its fan blows down from the top)
I may throttle it down a bit when August heat rolls around 'cause I have no A/C in that room and fight to keep the computer cooled down too.
I had read in probably the same places you were looking that it's better to just run the U3 off the computer psu with a 4pin molex to barrel plug and power the usb strip with a twisted pair from the computer psu, thereby no need for either pwr sources. I'm just probably going to grab an extra power brick to have handy in case this one craps out.
I think the issue you were reading about with the communication dropout was caused by a cheap powered usb hub. You really don't want to buy the "elcheapo" hub.
KWSN Bitcoin Shrubs & Shiny Bits

EDIT: After I got it running by it's self, I added on WUProp. Cgminer uses very little CPU time, about the same as Milkyway GPU apps which I added in next. The U3 hummed right along at +/-63.GHs all night and day.
Then I added in my CPU (4 core) WCG to help Fight Aids. Keeping CPU usage high for the cgminer and Milkyway apps ment that all 4 cores of the CPU were running and really put a damper on the U3 times and indeed hash rate dropped down to average 34 to 44 Gh/s instead of the 63+.
So I stuck an app_info file in the WCG appdata folder and limited WCG Aids apps to just using concurrent WU's thereby only using 3 cores, leaving a whole core to run the cgminer and milkyway app.
2nd Edit: The U3 keeps dropping out and cgminer stops running after a while. With 3 out of 4 cores doing WCH fahv WU the Stderr for the BU showed a hash rate around 50 Gh/s.
I watched it with the CPU monitor. Milkyway GPU and cgminer take about the same percent of cpu, less than half percent at most. cgminer seems to switch between core 0 and 1. I don't see why using less CPU cores would effect it but it does. With 3 cores running 3 WCG the red led on the U3 that shows that its hashing goes out and the psu goes cold after only a few hours or even less. I've tried a number of different configurations for the USB and monitored it pretty close and finally limited the CPU usage to a single concurrent WU for WCG. So far it seems to be holding and the hash rate is back up to 63 on the U3.
3rd Edit
I was able to now add another project to one more core (SubsetSum) and still keep up the 63 GH without a shutdown or fall off... also using the single concurrent app_config in the Citizen Science Grid programdata directory.

Here it is: app_config.xml

<app_config>
<app>
<name>xxxxx</name>
<max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Works just chipper

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 am; edited 3 times in total
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: *** The Nitty *** Reply with quote

AntMiner U3 Bitcoin Miner Version 2
U3s can be run on any CGMiner based device. A Windows based PC is recommended although a similar process can be applied on a Raspberry Pi.
Linux works just fine as well as well.
my (old) rig:
3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Crosshair IV Formula
8192 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
2000.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity w/ 1168.69 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (4870 double precision)
my software:
BOINC Manager 7.4.42 (x64)
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus Version 8.0.312.0
my U3 and USB hub:
Bitmain Antminer U3 (v2) 63gh/s
* Voltage: DC 12V input, 6A
(U3's come with a 2.5mm 6A 12V power adapter, although you will still need a power cable suited to your outlet configuration.)
* One 80mm fan w/ noise: ~25 DB at 25 °C ambient temperature
* Max Hash Rate: 63 GH/s ±5%
Bitmain Antminer U3 (v2) here
Satechi 12 Port USB Hub with Power Adapter picture plugged into CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller with WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) driver from Zadig
My power is surge protected to 2.0 USB Hub and also to U3 power brick.

The BASICS
Wiring:
Plug in your powered 2.0 USB hub to a 2.0 USB port on your computer. It should show in your Device Manager as a USB device.
Plug in the USB cable from the U3 to your computer.
Plug the power supply into the U3 mains.
Plug in power supply.

Configuration:
Windows Configuration:
Download the latest version of Zadig.
Zadig: http://zadig.akeo.ie/
Extract, and run the zadig application. Show all Devices.
Select "CP21202 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and then click "Replace Driver". You only have to do this once per computer.
My zadig says the Driver loaded on "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller". Make sure your driver is: WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)
I bought a reasonably priced double switch 2.0 usb hub, (not the el-cheapo) and a usb fan. A powered hub can help with dropout issues as there is a reasonable amount of 5V load.
Don't use USB 3, it uses different drivers that will prevent it from working.(my MB dosen't support 3.0 USB)
If possible, check your powered (2.0) USB hub chip. Is it STT or MTT? The cheaper ones are STT. "Rumour Control" has it that, "You need a USB hub with MTT chip".

Depending on the exact USB hub you get, some come with pretty lame power adapters and the power brick for the U3 will get quite warm and also is not of the very highest quality. Plan on replaceing these from time to time. If you know what you're doing, (and are particularly brave), you may want to run both the U3 and your powered USB hub off your own power supply. The 12v comes to the U3 with a 2.5mm barrel plug. If using a psu, use a molex 4-pin to barrel plug. It will consume up to about 55 watts. Power for the usb hub could be supplied by a single twisted pair spliced into it's plug.
I have a little usb fan pointing at the power brick for the U3 and have the brick elevated on two short pieces of metal tubes that allows air to circulate under the power supply.
The U3 can also be configured by command line to overclock, or preferrably, underclock thereby lowering the temperature of the U3 and it's psu.
It's blows down from overhead and the base of the unit is the heatsink so I set it onto a piece of steel with an airspace under to allow extra heat dissapation.
BitCoin Utopia:
my BU preffs are as follows:

Use CPU no
Use ATI GPU no
Use NVIDIA GPU no
cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 1.6+GH/s ASICs): no
cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 333MH/s ASICs): no
cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 20+GH/s ASICs): yes
CudaMiner (Campaign #3): no
CPUMiner (Campaign #3): no
sgminer (Campaign #3): no
bfgminer (Campaign #3) (for 20+GH/s Blade erupter ASICs): no
also:
**If no work for selected applications is available, accept work from other applications? no

Select: cgminer (Campaign #xx) (for 20+GH/s ASICs) for each active project you want work for.

........................................................................................................
av & BOINC Manager

My av is ESET and is only bothered by bfgminer ... but just in case, I excluded the entire C:\ProgramData\BOINC from being scanned so that slots can be actively communicating, (mining), and allowed all communication with BOINC with my firewall.. Boinc Mgr will create a C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.bitcoinutopia.net_bitcoinutopia after you get Bitcoin Utopia attached.

There may be a bug in the BOINC Manager, or problems with previous installations of BOINC Manager not being completely uninstalled.
I strongly suggest you bypass all these troubles. DO A COMPLETE UNINSTALL of BOINC Manager before attaching the Bitcoin Utopia program and making changes to run the U3 Antminer.
Make note of every project have joined and plan to do again on this computer with the e-mail address and password for each.
Choose "No new tasks" for each project running on this computer. Clear ALL the WU's for every project and detach each project by choosing "Remove" until there are no projects on your BOINC Manager. Detach from ALL projects including Bitcoin Utopia.

In directory C:\ProgramData\BOINC, edit: "cc_config.xml" - change line near bottom <use_all_gpus>0</use_all_gpus> to <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> Save change.
When editing an .xml file use notepad and save as *.* rather than .txt. R-click on the file - choose EDIT. make changes - then SAVE AS *.* - then REPLACE FILE.
Before uninstalling, copy "cc_config.xml" from your ProgramData\BOINC Create a working/safe folder and put the cc_config file in it to move back when re-installing new BOINC Manager.

Use the Control Pannel to uninstall BOINC from your computer. Now check both C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files to make sure there is no BOINC directory. If there is one left after uninstall it will be because there is a TrueType font file left behind called "LiberationSans-Regular.ttf". Windows won't allow this to be deleted because it now has dependencies but you have to move it somewhere (anywhere) to delete the BOINC program directory and it's remaining contents. Check also the "C:\ProgramData" directory and make certain there is no BOINC folder remaining there. With the BOINC Manager completely uninstalled, cleaned up with no remaining WU's running in the background,
Reboot your computer before proceeding. This will correct some registry conflicts.
................................................................................................

Download a new version of BOINC manager (version>7.4.42) to have ready to install. http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
Download CGMiner-4.9.0-windows.zip http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/4.9/
(Bitcoin Utopia supplies only CGMiner 4.7.0 and you need to replace it...don't getCGminer 4.9.1, it will not see U3s, but 4.9.0 will.)
Make sure your CGMiner~.zip file is a zipped folder of files with cgminer.exe in it and not just a zip file of a directory. Put it in your working directory with the cc_config file you saved earlier and rename it cgminer.zip.
June 30 - EDIT: Bitcoin Utopia has now updated all their WU for the 20+ ASICs (the U3 is one). All these xml files and extra steps are nop longer needed. They are all running cgminer 4.9.2 and the U3 is now "Plug & Play"

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: *** The Gritty *** Reply with quote

If the U3 is not working for some reason, you won't see the red led on the opposite side of the ports and your WU will run for 1 1/2 hours then time out.
The stderr report will be and endless list of 00000000000's and of coarse the WU will be in the error column.

You can only do CGMINER 20Gh/s+ on the computer using the U3.
You cannot use the gpu or cpu or other ASICs to do Bitcoin Utopia at the same time. (on that computer)
I was able to add in WUProp nci CPU work and Milkyway for my GPU.
I could only use two of the 4 CPU cores on my AMD processor for other (two) different BOINC projects. I tried using 3 cores but the U3 would not stay running... at first.
Then I tried a few combinations of WU's from various projects and found that if careful, it would stay running with 3 of 4 cores occupied but dropped to around 58+GH/s from full capacity of 63+.
I think any CPU intensive work that takes all the cores would be ... right out. 4 shalt thou not count.
Good Luck #ni-1

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KWSN SpongeBob SquarePant
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!

I am so sorry I did not see this earlier. I would have been happy to help.

I am running 3 of the R boxes (33-37 GHZ or half of a U3) and two RBox-2 (110-120 GHS or 1.5 U3s) and 2 R3s (480 GHS per).

I am also running a GTX 770 full speed plus and various CPU projects plus Majestic 12 full blast.

This is on an old Quad core 9600 from 2007. (windows 10)

(My other system runs newer x99, several 980s, with same setup for 2 r3s and 2 r4s.)

You can run the speed up a bit. I run every Rockminer at 320. They peak at 48C and in the garage in Texas they shut down at 60*.

A good quick check is to run cgminer.exe as a cmd function to test speed of crunching while you adjust BOINC settings. The opening of stderr over and over is tedious.

I found they do drop at 100% CPU so I set the BOINC computing preferences to 80% to keep CPU usage to 80-90%. BU runs at full speed, GPU full speed, and 80% CPU. By using BOINC ComPref this effects every project so you don't have to mess with buggy xml files.

You should be running 1 million points per GH/S at full speed over the course of the day.

Good job getting this far. I had to pull my hair out several times to get mine in order.

Ni!
SBSP

<br><br>
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=e4befed74f2fd0e20845d7958a1ffbbe&cols=3
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN SpongeBob SquarePant wrote:
Ni!

I am also running a GTX 770 full speed plus and various CPU projects plus Majestic 12 full blast.

This is on an old Quad core 9600 from 2007. (windows 10)

(My other system runs newer x99, several 980s, with same setup for 2 r3s and 2 r4s.)

You can run the speed up a bit. I run every Rockminer at 320. They peak at 48C and in the garage in Texas they shut down at 60*.
I found they do drop at 100% CPU so I set the BOINC computing preferences to 80% to keep CPU usage to 80-90%. BU runs at full speed, GPU full speed, and 80% CPU. By using BOINC ComPref this effects every project so you don't have to mess with buggy xml files.
You should be running 1 million points per GH/S at full speed over the course of the day.
Good job getting this far. I had to pull my hair out several times to get mine in order.

Ni!
SBSP

Thanks for the tips. It did take several days of hair pulling to get the U3 running propperly. I have transplanted most of the lost hair.

It would have been easy if the U3 were able to use the cgminer version that BU is sending out. Unfortunately the U3 will NOT run on the 4.7 cgminer but MUST HAVE 4.9.0 to operate.
Because the cgminer version must be replaced for each WU, the .XML files have to be created in the BU progdata directory (app_info and job-rbox) to unzip and replace the correct cgminer for the slots.
This also controls wrapper.exe so it doesn't get replaced withe each WU; therefore it is renamed.
The cc_config.XML already exists in the BOINC appdata directory and must have "<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>" in it to run the U3.
These XML files are necessary for the U3 to run BU.
The xml files I put in other programs (app_config.xml) are simple and I only use them to limit CPU activity without limiting the number of BU WUs sent.
I was also splitting the use of my limited CPU by giving a single core to a program and 2 cores to another program.
*(I know BOINC is supposed to do this itself by percentage prefs but sometimes takes weeks to correct the WU usage and results in running WU's at priority and runs past due dates)
They would certainly NOT be necessary for most situations and could be all controlled by BOINC prefs.

The darn thing still drops out every so often (I've been told the r-boxes do also), no matter what changes have been made. When it runs for several days I DO get about 1 million credits per Gh/s per day.

Thanks for your tips and encouragement Sir SBSP,
and .... congratz on your stupendous efforts. You may have to change your name to Sir Kilowatts.

Update:
I've been running cgminer 4.9.2 for a few days now. Maybe BU can switch from 4.7 and eliminate the difficult file set-up for the U3.

June 30 - EDIT: Bitcoin Utopia has now updated all their WU for the 20+ ASICs (the U3 is one). All these xml files and extra steps are nop longer needed. They are all running cgminer 4.9.2 and the U3 is now "Plug & Play" #ni-1

Last edited by JumpinJohnny on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
KWSN SpongeBob SquarePant
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!

Thanks, but that is Sir Megawatts. Smile

I ran 4 megawatts through the house last month. My electric bill was $200! ($0.05 per)

The R-Box 2 runs at 110-125 GH/S and I see them for about $59. That is why I did not get the U3. Looks cool but is more of a pain and has been vastly improved.

I picked up several R-3s on ebay for $300. Not bad for nearly 1,000,000,000 a day. They are loud, and can quickly heat up a room, but a great shrubbing value. The have been relegated to the garage for now. I will have to watch summer temps, but they should be fine.

I have to get to top 3 in BOINC then I will toggle back and forth to mine BTC and BU.

Happy Shrubbing!

SBSP

<br><br>
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=e4befed74f2fd0e20845d7958a1ffbbe&cols=3
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Update on my lil U3v2 Reply with quote

Well some things have been lernt.
My U3 started to get less and less productive over the last 3 months. First it dropped from over 60 GH/s to around 55 GH/s which was no big deal -- it seemed to run cooler and the Power Brick seemed cooler also. Then last month it dropped production to 45-48 GH/s and I also noticed a buzz coming from my computer speakers, (close to the U3 and it's power adapter). I thought it was a problem with my 3-way speakers which are about 12 years old.
When the U3 hashrate dropped to 38-40 and less last week, I knew something was up so I dismantled the little bugger and re-did the thermal paste on both sides of the board. It looked pretty crappy.
When I cranked it up again there was only a small improvement for a day or two then it continued to decline.
At that point I assumed that the power brick was failing so I cut the cord and spliced it into a 4-pin molex from my PSU. That didn't help but the buzz in my speakers went away so I knew that the Power Brick that came with U3 must have been going bad.
I also tried switching around USB cables from the U3 to the powered hub and from hub to computer port and also switching around the 2.0 USB ports and even re-installed the CP2102 Uart to Usb controller driver.

The hashrate has continued to go down to between 12-18 GH/s, not enough to run the 20+GH/s ASIUCs tasks from BU without timing out, so I've had to switch to the smaller 1.6+GH/s tasks that finish in around 150 seconds and give (only) 30,ooo credits.

My conclusion so far is this: The 12v 7amp Power Brick that comes with the U3 is barely enough to run the U3 and both get VERY hot even slightly overclocked. I think 3 of the 4 ASICs chips were damaged by running the lousy power brick and the U3 at even a slightly overclocked setting.

I will be able to prove this with another experiment using a new U3. This time I'll re-do the crappy thermal paste on both sides of the board before I even plug it in. I will give it some "clean" power from the PSU 12v rail and dump the brick. I think I'll build a little stand so I can mount an extra fan under the U3 blowing up to the blue base heat sink.

If you are going to also do this, keep in mind that the barrel plug is a 5.5x2.5 and not the more standard 5.5x2.1 plug. Also make certain that you have extra wattage on your PSU to run the U3 (s) that uses up to 55 watts and draw up to 7 Amp each.
A good PSU calculator >>
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Had to replace the ailing U3 with two "new" ones.
First thing I did was tear them apart and apply new thermal paste.
Then I powered them both off my computer PSU which has some extra capacity.
It took a bit of coaxing to get them to both run, each on it's own WU.
I dumped the custom files in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.bitcoinutopia.net_bitcoinutopia that were used before for overclocking etc.

Tip #1. Hook up one at a time to get the correct driver from Zadig.
Tip #2. Edit the cc_config.xml file in C:\ProgramData\BOINC folder to read the count of how many of the same ASICs units you're running together.
i.e.
Quote:
<coproc>
<type>miner_asic</type>
<count>2</count>
<non_gpu/>
<peak_flops>0.000000</peak_flops>
<device_nums>0</device_nums>
</coproc>

Tip #3. Start with a clean slate. Make sure cgminer has stopped running, even if Bionc Mgr is off. Check to see that there is no bitcoin info in any slots. Also great time to update your BOINC client.
Tip #4. Be persistant. It may take zadig several times to get your driver installed. Resetting the computer, creating a restore point after succesful driver install and restarting BOINC and Bitcoin Utopia several times is worth the effort.

I now have 2 Antminer U3v.2 running on one computer and I'm thinking about running the dud U3 on an old computer or hooking it up to a raspberrie pi.
I should be getting well over 110,000,000 Boinc credits per day with this set up. #ni-1

EDIT: Yeah, they did just fine for one day then it all fell apart.
I've spent about 8 hours trying to get them both running again but having NO luck. Not as easy as they make it sound.
Tip # 5. Do not tear out your hair.

anybody know what this means:
Quote:
[2016-01-10 11:46:03] MTX: Icarus USB failed to get 'cg-usb-2-3' - device in use

?????
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine up and running, and a big thank you to everyone who helped
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: 20 Billion on Bitcoin Utopia Reply with quote

I gave up trying to keep more than one of these Antminer U3's running on my computer.
I did build a small open-air rack for them so I could blow a fan up from underneath to cool the bottom heatsink/base.
For the $50 they don't last long... 8 months tops.

So all in all, after a single years worth of mining on the asic miner @+/- 60Gh/s, I have passed the 20 BILLION credit mark on Bitcoin Utopia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: