KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universe@Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> DC News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Universe@Home Reply with quote

This new test project looks interesting. The team has been set up. Bulletin board is active.
Tasks ready to send 1,044,908
http://universeathometest.info/universe/

Quote:
This proposal aims to create the first database of the simulated stellar content of the Universe, from the earliest stars to the most exotic black hole binaries. This comprehensive stellar library will be a world-wide scientific resource for astronomers, and an educational asset for the public. With state-of-the-art suite of computational tools, we can calculate the physical properties of individual stars, evolve them in time, and track how they interact with each other as they age. With this library of stellar populations that spans the known range of star formation histories and initial elemental abundances, it is possible to tackle fundamental science questions that have been out of reach in general relativity, astronomy, and cosmology. As a group we will use this database to characterize the population of supernova progenitor stars that have been used to discover the mysterious dark energy that accelerates the expansion of the Universe; we can calculate how (if at all) binary evolution facilitates the formation of ultra-luminous X-ray sources, and we can model the number and physical properties of neutron stars and black holes that strongly emit gravitational waves that are at the heart of research into gamma-ray bursts – the most energetic explosions known-to-date.

http://universeathometest.info/universe/universe.pdf
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in...
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool, I'm in. Very Happy
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got me 32 of the 1 million+ shrubs by suspending all other projects then hitting update Universe. Two types called Universe2 0.03 and Universe Simulator 0.15. Both claim to take around 34 minutes.
Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't allow me more than twelve WUs,in total, at a time for three cores?

Either type of WUs about 42-48 mins each on this AMD A10-5700 APU and all return 44.44 credit. As I'm not connected 24/7 needs a backup, currently dDM.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure I like this one....it is continually downloading the same data files again and again and again in Transfers....

Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early days of a test project, but it seems very stable on my machine. I haven't seen any posts saying when they expect to change from test to full project though.

KWSN: 9 members, 6 active
KWSN Ranking 42nd overall credit, 20th RAC
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN have passed 11 teams in the past week to move into 35th place, but we're 12th in RAC.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
KWSN have passed 11 teams in the past week to move into 35th place, but we're 12th in RAC.

Must be the Half-Hour estimates for Twelve-Hour WUs! Laughing
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN have moved up to 26th place and RAC is 9th. We could make major moves if we took a serious wack at this one. Is it stable enough for PotM candidacy / Is anyone other than Phast Phred struggling with this project?

Tasks ready to send 828,599

Milestones:
The Knights Who Say Ni! 500,000

Housekeeper of Camelot 350,000
Yankton 70,000
SpongeBob SquarePants 25,000
Sir Stooper 25,000
Sir LanDroid KWSN 10,000
Crabbypatty 7,000
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
KWSN have moved up to 26th place and RAC is 9th. We could make major moves if we took a serious wack at this one. Is it stable enough for PotM candidacy ...?

I didn't jump on this one because this is the same guy who started Plagiarism@Home then dumped it after months of sporadic non-communication.
Also, the quoted goals are a bit over the top of what is actually doable. "We will discover the answer to everything in this universe and several others".
I'll wait for the actual Universe@Home project after the test project is done. Otherwise, it looks alot like another Plagiarism@Home, run by the same guy at the same location.

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Sir Johnny. I'll ditch the Universe Shocked 'til next phase, maybe it will look more reasonable at that time...
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> DC News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: